Let’s compare Thanksgiving menus

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 · 15 Comments »

Baked corn pudding.

I’m always fascinated by people’s family traditions at the holidays, particularly with regards to food. This is my family’s planned menu for Thanksgiving (as supplied by four different cooks):

• Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Pan dressing (this is a bread-like version of stuffing, baked in a pan and sliced into squares)
  • Giblet gravy
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Green bean casserole
  • Corn pudding (see picture above)
  • Sweet potato casserole (with pecans on top, not marshmallows)
  • Yeast rolls
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Fruit salad (a mayonnaise-based recipe my mother has been making for as long as I can remember)
  • Pumpkin pie

What’s going to be on your family’s table?

Filed under: Holidays · Tags:

15 Responses to “Let’s compare Thanksgiving menus”

1. Leslie says:

Haven’t decided yet–but no animals or animal products will be at my table

2. Ruskii says:

Spending my first Thanksgiving away from my family, but our traditional stuff:

Turkey with white gravy
    Ham with pineapple, mustard and brown sugar glaze
    Pan dressing
    Broccoli casserole (with velveeta, topping is butter and crushed ritz crackers)
    Home grown beans & corn
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potato casserole (pecans and brown sugar on top)
    Family recipe of cranberry salad (with celery, orange, pineapple, and pecans)
    Sister Schubert rolls

I think for desserts it’s usually Mom’s chocolate pie, the family’s pumpkin pie, and store bought pecan pie. I’m probably forgetting some desserts, the sweet potato casserole is the only dessert I care about at Thanksgiving.

3. lynnerkat says:

I just made a corn casserole as a trial run for Thursday. My menu is much the same except for cornbread sausage dressing. Enjoy your holiday!

I just realized that I skipped stuffing on the list. I just added it in.

Broccoli casserole (with velveeta, topping is butter and crushed ritz crackers)

My god, are we Americans or what? Velveeta and Ritz crackers with broccoli; that’s almost as perfectly American as canned mushroom soup and onion rings with green beans.

Fruit salad with mayonnaise? Not really? I’ve never heard of that before. I have to admit, just the idea makes me want to emigrate to Alpha Centauri, but then the things I eat would probably do the same to you.

Pumpkin pie. Yes, indeed. I often wonder why bother with anything else. I could just spend the entire dinner eating nothing but slice after slice of pumpkin pie.

6. Riverdaughterw says:

Substitute sweet potato gratin your sweet potato pie with pecans.
    We also have Cope’s corn soufflé. Pan dressing? What is that? We have stuffing with sausage nuts and apples cooked in the bird and a separate casserole for the fanatically misophobic. No one has ever gotten sick from in the bird stuffing at our house because we thaw completely and stuff loosely but these misophobes, who grew up eating in the bird stuffing for 72 years and never got sick will not be satisfied. That’s why we don’t let her do the cooking. If it were up to her, the turkey would be in the oven for 2 days of continuous roasting at 425 and turkey and stuffing would only meet on your plate separated by a dollop of mashed potatoes. To make sure the misophobe doesn’t starve, we nuke her turkey within an inch of its life and stop worrying whether its as dry and tough as shoe leather. If that’s the way she likes it, fine. The rest of us do not have to eat denatured turkey protein. The gravy always has mushrooms. Mushroom haters are invited to pick them out.

7. Sweet Sue says:

That fruit salad thing with mayo is called ambrosia, isn’t it?
    We’re two only, so we’re doing cornish game hens roasted with grapes and shallots, cranberry sauce, baked stuffing and a veg or salad.
    Last year, I found a good recipe for Pumpkin Pie made with cream and Splenda; it was delicious.

8. Sweet Sue says:

We never make it to dessert, but it sure tastes good for breakfast the next morning.

That fruit salad thing with mayo is called ambrosia, isn’t it?

No, I don’t think it’s ambrosia. It doesn’t have sugar or marshmallows or coconut or anything like that.

It’s just diced fruit, mandarin orange sections, grapes or raisins, etc., lightly tossed with mayonnaise. Very lightly tossed — there’s not much mayonnaise at all. So mostly what you end up with is fruit in a light suspension of juicy dressing.

10. Catherine D. says:

My only Thanksgiving tradition is ducking invitations from friends :) My father worked many holidays (FDNY), so I don’t have strong attachments to them.

I will be cooking a beautiful heirloom CSA boneless pork loin stuffed with an herbed sourdough bread I baked yesterday, plus lurvley CSA veg and potatoes. And I might make Maida Heatter’s glorious chocolate pumpkin cake.

11. tinfoil hattie says:

Turkey (pre-brined, from Trader Joe)
    Mashed potatoes topped with wild mushrooms sauteed in butter & sherry
    Squash/kale gratin
    Dressing, if we bother
    Cranberry relish, ditto
    Green bean casserole, which the kids will make & eat (blech)
    Pumpkin & apple pies (kids will make)

Just the four of us. Very relaxing.

12. Ruskii says:

Yep. I highly suggest not trying it if you haven’t had it before. It’s also one of those things that is way too easy to make and way too good. I’ve avoided making it on my own, letting it remain one of those things someone else in the family takes to dinners. Because I would make it every day.

13. Life as I know it now says:

Mashed potatoes with herbs
    Corn on the cob
    Cranberry sauce
    Fruit salad and veggie plate
    Pumpkin pie and apple cobbler
    Sweet potato casserole
    Biscuits
    Tea/apple cider
    Wine

No meat/ vegan recipes

14. LabRat says:

Turkey
    Giblet gravy
    Stuffing (mostly bread and dried fruit, made by a friend)
    Green bean casserole (with artichokes and parmesan)
    Roasted root veggie mash, with rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, and sweet potatoes
    Brown butter berry pie
    Cranberry dressing, from fresh cranberries

Menu is less about what we all grew up with and more about someone bringing something someone else loves.

Cranberry dressing, from fresh cranberries

Ours is homemade too, with fresh cranberries and some mandarin orange sections. It is delicious.