Election Day Open Thread

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012 · 24 Comments »

I thought about titling this post “Voting with Racists,” which you’ll understand when I tell you my story.

So I’m standing in line to vote, right? And the guy next to me—white guy in a trucker hat and denim—turns to me and says, “well, this ain’t bad. My buddy went to vote at 6:30 this morning in [nearby city], and there was a line of 400 blacks. He was scared! So he got out of there and said he’d wait and go vote this afternoon. Yeah, this ain’t bad.”

I was so stunned I just stared.

Simultaneous thoughts in my mind:

• “Goddamn you’re a racist.”
  • “Goddamn I cannot believe you just said that.”
  • Blacks?
  • “What the fuck is so scary about Americans standing in line to vote? Is there anything more peaceable than American citizens standing in line to vote?”
  • “Your buddy is so racist and stupid he’s afraid of people standing in line to vote?”
  • “Goddamn.”
  • “How the fuck do you live?”
  • “Well at least the turnout is good.”
  • “400 people in line at 6:30 am? And in a Democratic town? Excellent!”
  • “Hope the goddamn machines aren’t rigged.”

I did not say any of those things out loud, of course. Picking fights with burly redneck strangers in public is not high on my list of things to do, especially when my mother is with me. I just switched lines—asking if I could change to paper ballot instead of electronic—and went about my business.

Did you vote?

Filed under: Open Thread · Tags:

24 Responses to “Election Day Open Thread”

1. zind says:

Here in WA voting is all done by mail, so mine was taken care of late last week.

Here’s hoping for minimal voter fraud (read: vote-counting corruption) in the states that actually matter!

2. tiffanized says:

I had a very similar experience this morning (I am in Virginia as well). If this election has done anything, it has helped me weed out the people around me that showed themselves to be racists in the past few months.

Yes, voted. Cancelled out hundredfold by the folks immediately around me, no doubt, but I count for the state and I like to think it makes a difference.

3. Toonces says:

Blacks!!! Voting!!!

4. tinfoil hattie says:

Holy fucking shit. GODDAMN indeed. WHAT THE FUCK?

Why am I surprised?

BTW – OT, but slightly related: A few weeks ago, when my 7th grader’s history class was studying the U.S. civil war, the teacher asked: “And who still didn’t have the vote in the 1860s?” My son answered brightly, “WOMEN!”

I was a proud embittered feminist when he told me that.

Of course, the teacher’s response was: “Well, yes, women TOO, but … ” (“too”? “TOO”?)

I’m so happy right now I think I’ll splode. Elizabeth Warren! Tammy Baldwin! Claire McCaskill!

6. tinfoil hattie says:

YESSSS!! Kaine in VA!

And Dream Act in MD!

And medical marijuana in MA!

7. tinfoil hattie says:

Tammy Duckworth!

8. Nadai says:

And that dipshit Mourdock seems to have lost, too. Goddamn. I feel like I might manage a deep breath again.

My mother and I are officially thrilled. All the people we like and voted for WON! OBAMA! KAINE! WARREN! BALDWIN! MCCASKILL! DUCKWORTH!

All the stupid GOP white men who said shit about rape? LOST!!!!

Amazing, is this Mormon fucktwit refusing to concede?

11. hilary says:

*enormous sigh of relief*

12. tinfoil hattie says:

MD Yes on gay marriage! NH maybe ALL-WOMEN in Governor, US Reps (one result not back yet), two women US Senators (already in office)

13. Nadai says:

Romney’s conceded, thank the gods. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

God almighty, that concession was like he was still campaigning. Mittens, it’s a concession speech, not a stump speech.

No, I don’t want to look to my pastors for guidance. Fuck off.

15. Nadai says:

Seriously. I read somewhere that he hadn’t even prepared a concession speech; I believe it.

I hope this loss damages Ryan, too. He’s even scarier than Romney.

Honestly, I think tonight was about as good a result as Democrats could hope for, given the state of the economy and the nutjobbery out there. I am overwhelmingly relieved that most of the pro-rape creeps lost. Steve King seems to have hung on, though, so I don’t know what the deal is in Iowa.

17. tinfoil hattie says:

So much to be happy about. I think the last time I felt this good about the Presidential election was in 1992.

18. cellocat says:

I am so happy that Elizabeth Warren and Tammy Duckworth won. And that the marriage equality bills are passing in Maryland and Maine, and hopefully in Washington, too. I am thinking that maybe the seriously awful anti-contraception, pro-rape, anti-abortion wackiness that came out so strongly helped move the women to victory.

19. Yasmin says:

Well women are the reason the pro-Rape assholes did not win. And it is about damn time the Dems pay it forward to women, abortion legal on demand everywhere, rape kits processed, funding for rape and abuse shelters and other legislation for women’s human rights.

20. Jack says:

NH now the only state ever (if memory serves) with its entire congressional delegation being women.

21. blondie says:

Wow. Post-racial society, my left elbow! It’s bad enough that guy is a racist bigot, and that he has at least one friend (allegedly) who feels the same way, it’s even worse that he considers his views so mainstream and acceptable that they’re fine fodder for chit chat with a complete stranger, apparently expecting commiseration. Yuck.

On the other hand, Yay, USA! Romney got the wealthy, white, straight male vote, and it was not enough. This election was won by the women, the people of color, the LGBT community, the poors, i.e., people the GOP doesn’t consider Real Americans. It’s fun to be a USian today.

22. Adrienne in CA says:

Happy times here in CA. Prop 30 passed handily, to everyone’s surprise except maybe Gov. Jerry Brown’s, taxing mostly $250K and up earners more to pay for education. Our schools and colleges dodged a $6Billion budget bullet.

Our state legislature very likely has the two-thirds Democratic super-majority that’s been the Holy Grail for overcoming the no-taxes-ever minority party.

And my local large city increased the minimum wage to $10 an hour.

An almost unbelievably wonderful night!

23. robynsu says:

Don’t forget Kirsten Gillibrand! Yay! 19 women in the Senate…far from the 51 we deserve, but a high water mark so far..

Well, I stood in line with hundreds of blacks…one lone old guy and I were the only whites. And guess what I heard? Bigotry. On and on about how carefully they had to vote because gay marriage was on the ticket and how that’s not Gawwwwd’s way blah blah blah. I was shocked that the initiative passed. Thanks to leaders like Julian Bond who stood up and spoke out when it counted.

I was a big old coward, too, and chose not to speak up. But one on one I might yet ask (if the situation presents itself again) because I’m curious to know how someone so vehemently against gay marriage justifies voting for the candidate who came around lately on the side of gay marriage.

It was my first time voting without a paper ballot and the Diebold on the machine sent chills through me.

No, it’s 20 women in the Senate now! A whole binder full!

It’s a Christian thing. The problem is in the churches.