I’m alive. Are you alive?

Tuesday, October 30th, 2012 · 14 Comments »

So far we haven’t lost power here in Virginia, thank bog. But DC is shut down, New York has been eaten by the ocean, New England is eroding, and there are blizzards to the west. Are you okay?

Filed under: Open Thread · Tags:

14 Responses to “I’m alive. Are you alive?”

1. Vera says:

I’m in California, so I’m fine, but worried. I’m wondering how things are in Bethesda where my sister and many friends are living.

I was just wondering how you were doing. Hope things stay tolerable where you are!

Yep, it really feels like we lucked out here. We had nonstop rain and wind (it’s still raining) but no power outage. But good lord, up north. When I woke up this morning about 2:45 am, the first news picture I saw was of a street in Greenwich Village with water up to a car’s roof.

4. Val says:

Everything is fine here in TX; I’ve just been slavering over all that precipitation – let’s hope some of it makes its way west!
    (My pastures look like the lunar landscape; I doubt they’ll ever recover from this drought. Esp not as overstocked as they are ;-) !

5. Gayle says:

A-okay! We lost a piece of our fence to the wind- no biggie.

A lot of people in my area lost power. I’m elated we did not!

6. Unree says:

My office building is closed, but no impediments casa Unree. So weird to be in the role of survivor after having done nothing except wake up and putter.

7. Ugsome says:

I’m sheltering in Paris. Highly recommended.

8. Swannie says:

Grateful Alive :) considering I live six miles in from Ocean City Md . Very Very Grateful

9. Sweet Sue says:

In Cleveland suburb, we had sixty mile per hour winds and lost power for almost twelve hours.
    I’m a bit of a food horder, so I’m always nervy when the electricity goes out.
    I have family in S. Orange, NJ; they’re still in the dark but safe and their house is fine, thank God.

10. W.J. McCabe says:

The Rhode Island coast was pretty hard hit, but further inland we were okay and there were only sporadic damage and power outages.

11. Chio says:

In NH, okay here. The worst are the power outages which we are quite used to up here with SO MANY TREES. But I’m horrified by what I am seeing in NY. My friends there are having a really, really hard time. If there’s one thing New Yorkers usually feel protected from it would be Mother Nature. But not this year. It’s shocking.

12. Sweet Sue says:

That would be food hoarder

13. tinfoil hattie says:

New Jersey, where I lived during my teen tears, has been absolutely crushed. Shore towns are just … gone. Hoboken is underwater, People are stuck in tmulti-story apt. buildings in Jersey City, with no power and no water. An oil refinery is spewing fuel into the river.

The entire Jersey shore will never be the same. People are just stunned. This disaster is almost indescribable.

14. Branjor says:

They are now forcibly evacuating the remainder of residents still in their shore homes from Mantoloking to Island Beach, NJ. They are saying people may not be able to return to their homes for 6 months.