The death of blogging

Friday, October 26th, 2012 · 8 Comments »

A couple of days ago the Daily Beast posted this epitaph: Netroots Bloggers Mark 10th Birthday in Decline and Struggling for Survival. Very interesting article. I hadn’t realized that the Obama team was so…hostile, I guess, to their own supporters in the netroots.

Also, is it possible for Markos Moulitsas to open his mouth without sounding like a condescending prick? Has that ever happened in the history of the world?

What Susie Madrak says in the article about traffic being down is totally true. The conversation has moved to Twitter, which I despise. At least the leftish conversation has moved to Twitter; I think the wingnuts are still tearing it up on their blogs, if Memeorandum is any indication.

Filed under: Open Thread · Tags:

8 Responses to “The death of blogging”

1. Gayle says:

“is it possible for Markos Moulitsas to open his mouth without sounding like a condescending prick”

HA! No.

I didn’t realize traffic at the political blogs was that far down but it just makes sense now that a Democrat is in the White house. I also agree that the 2008 primary took a big toll. I only frequent about 3-5 blogs nowadays and none of them are specifically political. I cut my teeth on MyDD, which I left (no surprise!) in 2008, when people on the blog were accusing Hillary of waiting for Obama to be assassinated so she could step in and win the election (the RFK remarks, as you’ll recall). That was it for me.

That said, there could be a revival if Romney manages to pull off a win.

2. Mike S. says:

For what it’s worth Moulitsas claims that his take on the matter was misrepresented in the DailyBeast article:

John Cole at balloon-juice had a less than charitable take on Madrak:

Not that I take either of the above authors, or their respective sites/stables, too seriously. Both venues have presented me with some interesting things to read, as well as with some specious bs that wasn’t worth reading…

3. tinfoil hattie says:

Well, when you are insulting, dismissing, and/or downright ignoring a bit more than half of the population in your awesomely cool “netroots” movement (shouled be called Duderoots, IMO), I don’t think it’s a bad thing that your movement has faded.

Also, note how many Duderoots bloggers were hired and/or moved on to bigger and better things. The absolute reverse can be said about women who blog (Susie hasn’t found a job in four years), not to mention FEMINISTS who blog, and Ren’t even on the radar screen.

In the face of Hillary is a c***, and Iron My Shirt (TM) and Make Me a Sandwich (TM), and threats about You Broads Will Lose Your Reproductive Rights If You Don’t Vote For Obama! (aka Where Else Ya Gonna Go, Bitch?), I stopped reading all blogs by men. I suspect I’m not the only woman to do so.

I simply don’t care about Dude Nation’s agenda, or its hand-wringing over dude-created catastrophes, or anything other than eliminating the oppression of women and children by men.

4. anniethena says:

Hello, long time no comment (it’s been so long you probably don’t even remember the few comments I made here).
    Interesting article. I stopped following American political blogs for a couple of years and only tuned back in a few weeks ago to get a closer look at the political situation.
    Like tinfoil hattie I got turned off the sites I used to frequent by the 2008 primaries – the sexism and misogyny were beyond depressing and outrageous. Just glad I found a few sites that were pro-Hillary!

Anyway, I really checked in tonight (hoping to find an “open thread”) to give you something more uplifting. I don’t know if you follow figure skating regularly; just in case you don’t, I’ve got a link to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir with their debut performance this season.
    I know Carmen has been done to death (no pun intended) but I think you’ll like this. (I was still reading here regularly while the 2010 Olympics were on and caught your comments about how much you loved Virtue and Moir)

Virtue and Moir/Carmen

Hi anniethena –

Uplifting sounds good! But the link didn’t work. If you want to just paste in the raw url, I’ll fix it.

Shorter John Cole from Mike S.’s link: “I’m for sale. I make sure my product fits the market. Get over it.”

(Now, where have I heard that before?)

I’m with tinfoil hattie on Doodroots.

7. anniethena says:

I wondered about the link – mouse hovering didn’t show the link but it looked like a proper link in the preview.
    Here’s the raw link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs48_FJpudM
    It’s not flawless yet, but an Italian couple is also doing Carmen this year and V&M beat them by 9 points.

They’re such a wonderful team to watch – as the announcer says at the end, he forgot to take note of all the difficulty because it was such a mesmerizing performance.
    Hope you enjoy it!

8. anniethena says:

Hi again Violet!
    I found the link for their short dance. Really delightful although they had trouble with their final lift and lost some points. They were only .01 points ahead of the Italian couple (who are also performing Carmen!! … but V&M pulled ahead by 9 points after the free dance.)

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awNd4At_dvs&feature=related is from the CTV broadcast and there’s better commentary with a good look at what went wrong in the lift – definitely needs to be changed as Scott obviously was in pain and Tessa kinda got “hung up” on his shoulder.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy it, minor glitches and all…

Also, glad you’re safe. I’m north of Kingston ON (which is at the easternmost tip of Lake Ontario across from northern NY state) and we’re still waiting to see if we get foul weather. Had some wind and a bit of rain the last 24 hours but we might get a bit more tomorrow. It had better be rain and not snow, or goddess forbid, freezing rain.