I don’t give a shit how these men feel about abortion

Friday, October 12th, 2012 · 9 Comments »

Martha Raddatz to Joe Biden and Paul Ryan:

“We have two Catholic candidates, first time, on a stage such as this. And I would like to ask you both to tell me what role your religion has played in your own personal views on abortion. And, please, this is such an emotional issue for so many people in this country…please talk personally about this, if you could.”

Because god knows what this country needs is more attention paid to how men feel about abortion.

9 Responses to “I don’t give a shit how these men feel about abortion”

1. blondie says:

Because the impact of all those awful abortion-seeking harridans upon these poor little guys’ religion is what’s really important, not whether women should actually have control over what’s inside their bodies.

2. Nell says:

I don’t give a shit how any man feels about abortion.

No uterus, no opinion.

3. Adrienne in CA says:

At least one of the men allowed that he wouldn’t force his religious views on others, and that women actually have a right to decide for themselves.

But I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews, and I just refuse to impose that on others, unlike my friend here, the—the congressman. I—I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people that—women they can’t control their body. It’s a decision between them and their doctor. In my view and the Supreme Court, I’m not going to interfere with that.

These days, unfortunately, that’s momentous.

Let me guess. Biden didn’t say, “My feeling is that this is the woman’s decision to make,” any more than Ryan did.

Amirite?

5. Unree says:

Agreed who cares how dudes feel, but I thought Raddatz chose a smart way to bring up abortion.

She had to keep herself safe, which forced her either to avoid the subject or broach it in terms that didn’t smell partisan. Focusing on something that Ryan and Biden have in common makes the question the same for both. And the question does double duty: any candidate who claims adherence to a religion that meddles in U.S. politics should be able to say what role religion plays for him as an elected official.

6. Kati says:

You summed it up beautifully. Considering the centuries-long and still continuing evil and hypocrisy done by them, even more to the point would have been to not give a shit about how CATHOLIC men feel about abortion. And I speak as someone raised in “the church.”

7. JeanLouise says:

Nell, the person that offered the transvaginal ultrasound bill in Virgina was a woman. I don’t care what anyone else, male or female, thinks about abortion. It’s my body and my decision.

8. Nell says:

Except, JeanLouise, the title of the post is “I don’t give a shit how these men feel about abortion.” I was extrapolating on that theme to express that I don’t give a shit how ANY man feels about abortion.

The fact that one woman in one state sponsored one anti-choice bill is irrelevant. The point is that men, and only men, have been legislating, adjudicating, and, in a word, controlling women’s reproductive rights since the dawn of the republic which is both patently unfair and undemocratic.

Of course it’s your body and your decision. But it is men, overwhelmingly, who have denied you the right to bodily autonomy.

I do find it interesting that you criticize me, but not Dr. Socks, who makes the exact same point as I do; to wit: men’s views on abortion need less attention, not more.

9. julia says:

Glad to see this post!
    I agree with the title completely. How men feel about abortion really does not matter.
    Violet has done great work on showing how Obama pretends to be but then starts to limit it state by state.

I am so sick of the Male Political world.
    I met an Australian man this weekend who really admires Julia Guillard, and says that when she stands up and gets tough, she gets a lot of support. Look at what men do to Hillary Clinton when she gets tough….