“Rape is rape,” says Paul Ryan, and no exceptions for any of them!

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 · 10 Comments »

Ryan Refuses To Say Abortions Should Be Available To Women Who Are Raped, reports Think Progress, and that’s because he deosn’t believe they should be available. To anyone. Ever.

This is the world Paul Ryan wants:

• In the Dominican Republic, a pregnant 16-year-old girl with acute leukemia is denied the chemotherapy she desperately needs. Not only is abortion illegal in her country, but so is any medical treatment that might terminate a pregnancy. The girl dies.
  • In Peru, a 13-year-old girl is raped by a neighbor and becomes pregnant. Peru allows no abortions even for rape or incest, so the girl throws herself off a roof in an attempted suicide. She survives with a horrible spinal injury, but doctors refuse to perform surgery for fear of harming the fetus. The girl is left a quadriplegic.
  • In Brazil, a 9-year-old girl is raped repeatedly by her stepfather, and becomes pregnant with twins. The Catholic Church attempts to block her access to abortion, and when that fails, they excommunicate the girl and her mother. The abortion proceeds, but note that if Paul Ryan were in charge, that would not have been possible. And instead of just excommunicating the girl and her mother, he’d put them in jail. (“If it’s illegal, it’s illegal,” he has said in answer to the question of whether women could be jailed for abortion.)

This is pure evil. And this is the world that Paul Ryan wants.

Filed under: Reproductive Rights · Tags: ,

10 Responses to ““Rape is rape,” says Paul Ryan, and no exceptions for any of them!”

1. Chio says:

Pure evil. Makes me think of the Handmaiden’s Tale, that it’s not as sci-fi as I had thought.

I want to link to an online article that an online friend of mine wrote. I think her premise is correct, that this issue with Akin and Ryan simply exposes the GOP for who they are.

Sadly the GOP has for some time been hijacked by religious extremist. As a northerner, my GOP friends who largely support gay marriage and often support abortion rights are horrified by this reality in the GOP. I may not agree with my northerner GOP friends about gun control and many of their ideas on government cuts, but they are at least thoughtful, rational and not members of a religious cult.

2. Miss Clairol says:

I think it’s interesting that the new “nuanced” position on abortion is to ignore the medical realities of pregnancy and substitute stereotypical, judgmental, moralistic bs instead. You had plenty of time to make up your mind, you capricious slattern, now the baby takes precedence and so on.

What I want to know is, if women are not going to be allowed to make their own medical decisions, then is some accommodation going to be made for the consequences of that? If I’m not allowed to terminate my pregnancy because it’s supposedly low to moderate risk and I end up suffering a catastrophic event, are all of the expenses associate with that going to be paid for and all the help I need provided? If I die, will all of my dependents be taken care of?

3. Chio says:

I just want to add one more thing about the rape issue that Akin so eloquently brought up. Just as Akin exposes the extremity of the Republican party with their desire to exterminate reproductive rights… I think that Akin also exposes the larger society in terms of their views on rape. It’s not just Akin who sees some rapes as not “legitimate”. Whoopi Goldberg infamously said of rapist Polanski, “it wasn’t rape- rape”. When my dear friend was raped when passed out in her room, almost my entire liberal college said that what happened was not rape. And now I’ve read this horrendous piece by Ann Althouse about the innocence of men who rape and that it is somehow anti-feminist to silence such compassion for rapists and their subtle acts of transgressions.

Bhttp://althouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/big-uk-lefty-george-galloway-fired-for.html

This is common thought. Many, many people view rape to be a violent act committed by a stranger in which the victim is sexually assaulted as well as punched, bruised, cut or threatened with a gun. Everything else… is questionable.

4. Carmonn says:

It’s great to know that, even as liberals and leftists respond to every rape committed by one of their own by alleging an elaborate global conspiracy to bring him down and maintain the status quo, that hasn’t deterred conservatives one iota. The actual fomenters of the global conspiracy can’t restrain themselves from fomenting the conspiracy, but then their conscience gets the better of them and they join the great multipartisan pro-rape coalition and are as quick as anyone to expose the victims of their very own machinations as martyrs. There is no left and no right when it comes to rape.

It’s an inspiring and beautiful love story, really. Who says we can’t all get along?

Just recently I was reading about an article (don’t remember where. aargh) detailing how often men will conspire to make sure their mark passes out, usually using surreptitious drugs, will have a room ready to use, and have a set of signals worked out when they’ve got the victim in the necessary state.

It’s so far from the “You stupid girl, you shouldn’t get drunk” myth of stereotype, it’s absurd. When it happens to real people, when a robbery victim is chloroformed, nobody acts all unsympathetic because they “let the robbery happen.”

6. Jackie says:

In regards to the Dominican Republic case, I was reading on a popular anti-choice blog today which outlined there opinion about it. In sum, the chemo probably wouldn’t have save her, so who cares?

7. bemused-leftist says:

Apparently what Akin meant was ‘legitimate report of a real rape vs those false reports that women give who got pregnant, which proves it wasn’t really rape.’

I think Whoopi didn’t know the detials about Polanski. I think all she knew was that he was pleading guilty to ‘sex with a minor’ which might have been only technically rape. If Whoopi didn’t know the age of the victim or about the ‘date rape’ drug etc.

8. Kali says:

If Whoopi didn’t know the details she shouldn’t be going on TV to pass judgment about rape-rape. The left is as bad as the right in attitudes about rape. The difference is that the left isn’t legislating their misogyny the way the right is.

Really? You mean it’s Republicans who didn’t sign off on making Plan B over-the-counter? And Republicans who said — in a country founded on separation of church and state — that the religious wishes of bishops were more important than the civil rights of women.

I could go on, but what for. You probably know the drill at least as well as I do. One side wants to turn you into chattel and crow about it. The other side turns you into chattel and pretends they haven’t. I’m really not sure which is worse.

10. JeanLouise says:

I saw The View’s host chat that day. Whoopi’s comment was totally out of line. It seems to me that she needs some help with her boundaries.

Women simply have to get serious about responding to these kinds of offensive comments, not to mention the attempts to limit our freedom.