State of Michigan, Republic of Gilead, same difference

Friday, June 15th, 2012 · 10 Comments »

We’re getting into some serious Handmaid’s Tale shit up in the land of the great north woods. Not only did the Republicans in Michigan just pass the most extreme anti-women’s rights bill in the country, but they also banned two female delegates from speaking on the House floor because they had the temerity to use the words “vagina” and “vasectomy” in their arguments against the bill. This is the best part:

“What she said was offensive,” said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. “It was so offensive, I don’t even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.”

He’s referring to the word “vagina.”

That’s right, Mr. Callton doesn’t want us wimmin to be traumatized by hearing about this mysterious and terrifying “v” thing which we are rumored to have. He just wants to legislate away our right to actually control what happens in that “v” thing and other bodily cavities, but I don’t want to get too specific here in case any of you faint.

What the hell has happened to Michigan? When did it turn into Mississippi?

Rep. Mike Callton (R), who thanks you for not saying the word "vagina" in his presence.

Filed under: Reproductive Rights · Tags:

10 Responses to “State of Michigan, Republic of Gilead, same difference”

1. JeanLouie says:

I would be happy to dedicate a week of my life to following this asshole around repeating the word vagina within his hearing incessantly. It should be set up so that, at least, one person is always with this asshole when he’s in public, using the word vagina over and over again. Michigan is beautiful in the summer and early fall. It would be a vacation with a purpose.

2. anna says:

It’s things like this that make me wonder how you can stand to live in Virginia, Violet. I know this is about Michigan, but Virginia is even more backward.

I don’t have a lot of choice, Anna. My health has not been great and this is where my folks are. But as soon as I win the lottery I’m moving to Ireland. It’s cool there and they have no snakes. (Yes, I know it’s full of Catholic godbags, but I’m too old to get pregnant anyway.)

4. robynsu says:

Didn’t Florida legislature chastise one of their own for using the word “uterus?” Also, some school libraries banned a Newbery award winning children’s novel for using the word “scrotum.” Kind of makes you want to shrug and say “ballsack” and the darling C word. I would write the word out, it’s a personal favorite of mine, but this is not my space and I’m not sure others are on the same page regarding terminology. However, we’re all on the same planet regarding the propriety of proper scientific terminology. Someone should ask these Michigan men what planet they’re on.

5. lynnerkat says:

I’m not sure that it’s good to know that there are a bunch of states that are as embarrassing as TN.

6. sister of ye says:

Really, Michigan didn’t used to be this bad. Well into the 1970s we had a solid tradition of moderate Republicans, including one of the best governors we ever had, Bill Milliken. The change came when Rich DeVos and his Amway crowd accumulated enough money to start pushing their right-wing agenda on the rest of the state.

I will send money Lisa Brown and Barb Byrum’s way. I’m sure there’s other things to be done. But I can’t state in a public forum what I really think would be effective, or at least just.

For anyone who might be tempted to buy into their “protecting the unborn” spiel (not anyone here, I’m sure), recall that they’re not considering shutting down fertility clinics that routinely trash uncounted number of zygote-Americans. The Catholic Church condemns them in theory, but neither they nor other “conservatives” are agitating for them to be closed.

Hope you don’t mind me re-emerging from under my rock, but this idiocy in my state is not only embarassing, it’s certain to hurt an awful lot of women.

Sister of ye, I am always delighted to see you out from under the rock. Hope things are going well down there.

Amway! I had forgotten that they are in Michigan. Amway is the locus of evil in the modern world.

8. Topper Harley says:

@3 Anecdotes ahoy!

Someone I know volunteered for a transfer to Ireland (with their family) and claimed it was a miserable experience. Not because the country itself is bad, but because they were socially isolated.

I was comparing notes on the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea with a half-Irish co-worker, and with a straight face he claimed Ireland wasn’t much better (well, except for the lack of human fecal material on Irish pedestrian bridges).

9. Vera says:

Lisa Brown forgot that when speaking publicly about portions of women’s bodies, it’s important to say “the,” as in “the womb,” “the vagina,” “the uterus.” Never say “my vagina.” Never speak as if these organs are attached to actual human beings who have a right to personal bodily sovereignty.

10. gxm17 says:

Sadly, it seems the entire country is turning into Mississippi.