The difference between me and Twisty Faster

Monday, June 4th, 2012 · 15 Comments »

…is that I’m still moderating my comment threads.

I was just over at Twisty’s place, where the post about saying “vagina” on TV has garnered something like a billion comments. I was surprised to see all the activity, since I think Twisty’s off riding her horse. Lo and behold, it turns out that the whole goddamn thread is a roiling clusterfuck of mansplaining by some dude named High Arka, with the usual exasperated countersplaining from increasingly irritated feminists.

Here’s the funny part: High Arka showed up at this blog about a year ago and was instantly banned. His initial comment never even made it out of the dungeon. He then proceeded to email me repeatedly, confirming the impression I’d already formed of a deeply creepy attention-seeking anti-feminist obsessive. Word to the wise, as they say. (And High Arka, you’re still banned, now and forever. Fuck off.)

15 Responses to “The difference between me and Twisty Faster”

Yeah. Moderating on a feminist blog is cesspool duty. I, too, would probably go ride a horse instead. The part that surprises me a bit is how hard it seems to be to not feed the trolls.

Ah well. If people didn’t have hot buttons, we wouldn’t have politics as we know it.

2. tinfoil hattie says:

Thanks for the validation. I’m thinking Twisty will get around to banulation as soon as she stops having fun on the ranch. Meanwhile, I’ve stopped responding to H.A. What a tool. And a sicko. It’s a little nauseating, for sure.

Your link is HILARIOUS. So f-ing funny! Thank you for the belly laughs.

Believe me, if I had a horse I’d be off riding somewhere too.

I followed the link back to High Arka’s blog last night and saw that he’s now set his profile to female. That is horseshit. He’s a dude. He was certainly a dude last year!

4. I comment as Ayla at IBTP says:

He had to change his profile to say he was a woman because he had lied over at IBTP, saying he was a Latina woman. The weird part was when he then got offended when someone else used the term Latina. Then the even weirder part was when a few radfem commenters actually started sticking up for him and his racism and misogyny. I hate to pinch myself to make sure I was awake and not stuck in a nightmare by the time that rolled around.

5. I comment as Ayla at IBTP says:

had, not hate (headdesk)

6. tinfoil hattie says:

Ayla, after that IBTP thread, it’s a wonder any of us can string together a coherent sentence.

I’m not sure how he got in there in the first place, but he was obviously taking advantage of the default assumption that IBTP is a female-only space.

The creep vibe from that dude is off the charts. I noticed that he’s still referring to himself as “this one,” his internal whackjobbery apparently making it difficult to say the word “I.”

By the way, please don’t anyone think I was criticizing Twisty. Not at all. It’s hard as hell to moderate a feminist blog. Even with all my filters I have a very difficult time keeping the crazies out.

8. tinfoil hattie says:

HA. I didn’t think you were criticizing Twisty. I thought you were just making a joke – as in, a set-up for “Twisty hates MEN! and SEX! And I DON’T!” which is some of the comparisons I’ve seen before.

9. qvaken says:

Hope I didn’t make too much of a fool of myself over there. When trolls are in town, and they’re gaining traction, then you’re damned if you tell them to fuck off, and damned if you ignore them. That’s the point of trolling, right?

I don’t think you made a fool of yourself at all. When I read through the thread I was saying little silent cheers for everyone who told High Arka to go fuck himself (or words to that effect).

I don’t know if you’ve been back, but Twisty has taken a Magic Eraser to the thread and simply deleted all the dude’s comments. I love that.

11. tinfoil hattie says:

I love the Magic Eraser also, and I wish we could use it to scrub out patriarchy!

12. tallbacka says:

So you’re completely insane? I’ve followed this blog for years and never noticed.

What?

14. Nina M. says:

Dang! I didn’t get a chance to read the thread before the scrubbing.

I know that you and Twisty know what’s best… but back when I experimented with having an election season group blog with two friends, and got the obligatory obscene and abusive comments from an Obot, I kept them public – they were a perfect example of the kind of behavior I was blogging about. My two co-bloggers disagreed. (And so it happened that my group blog became a one-person blog… )

I hear you, Nina. But the thing is, if you leave the trash on the floor as an example of how dudes can trash the place, you’re still left with a trashed place. Not to go full Shakesville or anything, but there’s something to be said for creating a space where women know they can sit and talk without having to deal with sexism. I know that personally if I see a bunch of craptastic dudebro comments in a thread somewhere, I generally cross that place off as a venue where I might participate. I’m just not interested in the hassle.