AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Friday, April 6th, 2012 · 15 Comments »

So, you know my shitty health insurance with the gigantic deductible and coinsurance? For which I pay a goddamn arm and a leg so that I will at least have some kind of coverage?

They’re raising the rates! By twenty fucking percent!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Didn’t HHS issue some kind of ruling that insurers have to “justify” these rate hikes? Apparently so, because Anthem has included a handy justification along with the new bill:

Why is your rate changing?

Several factors can impact your rate, or premium. These factors include:

• increased consumer demand for services
  • rising medical and prescription drug costs
  • advances in medical technology
  • benefits and/or taxes required by state and federal law
  • the fact that we are the fucking BORG and RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

15 Responses to “AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH”

TWENTY PERCENT?

:shock:

Here in CA, Anthem tried increasing individual rates 60% last year. That raised some eyebrows even among the hardened mercenaries at the state insurance regulatory office. I don’t know what the upshot was. I think Anthem had to dial it back to only 55% or so.

Is this a great country or what?

Well I guess I should be grateful they’re not going for 60 percent. But I can’t afford 20!

3. trixta says:

So sorry to hear that… and I know how you feel!! My (CA Anthem) rates went up about a year ago.

******
    Don’t mean to change the subject, but do you think this DAILY BEAST contributor read our discussion the other day about the term “White Hispanic,” then wrote his article? The points made seem to follow what was discussed on your blog that day. Check it out:

4. cellocat says:

We live in a barbaric country. It continues to shock me that there is such resistance to single payer, that people are willing to let other people suffer, lose their houses, and/or die, all to avoid doing something *socialist*.

Trixta, I just read that piece. It’s fine except for this part, which is weird to me:

That is, the Latinos interviewed preferred to be counted as whites, and not as blacks—in part an expression of the racism within our community, where many see black as the second, and worse, option.

The author is writing as if the two racial categories that make up mestizos is white and African, but that’s ridiculous. Hello, indigenous inhabitants of the Americas? The primary mestizo blend is white/Indian, with some African mixture depending on the country. The Caribbean nations tend to have triracial blends (e.g. Puerto Rico), because of heavy slavery in the plantation era, whereas Mexico, for example, is overwhelmingly a blend of Indians and white Spaniards. Working class Mexicans are mostly Indian. That’s why they’re brown.

(NOT trying to say that 60% is worse. It’s more like the infinity of all numbers vs the infinity of even ones. All the health insurance increases are out in the financial Van Allen belts somewhere and are infinitely bad. Those roachbrains need to be slapped down sooooo bad.)

financial Van Allen belt! That is funny.

8. Teresainpa says:

and are not native americans also part asian?
    In the long run aren’t we all African?

and are not native americans also part asian?

No. Native Americans migrated to the Americas across the Bering land bridge during the Ice Age. They split off from an Asian population, obviously. But saying they are “part Asian” doesn’t really make sense. It would be like saying Australians are “part Asian” because they split off from a Southeast Asian population (which they did).

However, I do know what you mean, teresa, and yes, it would be nice if we could get to the point that we all just think of ourselves as a big family that started in Africa and has spread over the globe.

11. trixta says:

Violet Socks, that quote was exactly the one that ticked me off too — and for the reasons you stated!! Also, the choices offered on forms are inadequate at best. Anyway, thanks for reading the article and responding to my post. I’ve never heard of the guy who wrote it and thought certain points made in the article sounded awfully familiar.

*****
    About HS, Single Payer is the way to go! Big Pharma needs to be reigned in too.

12. Miss Clairol says:

I’m so sorry! Insurers are going to jack everyone’s premiums in the next two years.

13. gxm17 says:

My sympathies on the health insurance insanity. Supposedly, my husband and I are the lucky ones, we are part of the FEP (federal employees program). Our premiums increase every year while our benefits decrease. Just yesterday I received a notice that my opthamologist visit isn’t covered because I’m an adult. My condition is only covered for children. Never mind that the congenital problem was only diagnosed three weeks ago. (The good news is I can finally see again!) “Luckily” we have a health flex spend account to cover what will be about $1,000 of medical bills. The word “luckily” is in scare quotes because medical FSAs are analogous to health care as 401K plans are to retirement. They’re an employment “benefit” that allows the employee to shoulder the burden, and be thankful for it. Kinda like the company store. And Miss Clairol is right. It will only get worse.

14. tinfoil hattie says:

Snort.

And your point about 401(k)s is well taken. We used to say: “College for our kids, or retirement for us?” and retirement (aka 401(k) contributions) won out.

Then the bankers looted the American public, and our question is now: “Work ’til we’re 80, or die first?”

And we aren’t kidding. Just like a lot of Americans.

15. Val says:

My insurance premiums increased steadily, quarter by quarter, until last fall I had to “downgrade” to a higher-deductible plan. I never sat down & calculated the exact percentage, but to stay at my old deductible level it would have been roughly 40%. With new plan it was “only” about 25%…