Happy Inexplicable Google Doodle Day

Thursday, March 8th, 2012 · 14 Comments »

Today is International Women’s Day. Here’s the Google Doodle:

Okay. We have the Venus symbol, we have a flower. And…that’s it. Or is that second G supposed to be a bra? Who the hell knows. Not one of their better Doodles, is it?

I do like this piece in TIME: Subject for Debate: Are Women People?

(No, I think we’re hand mirrors and flowers. And bras.)

And for those of you who prefer the seizure-inducing GIF art so popular on Tumblr (the new MySpace!), here’s Ann Friedman’s International Slutty Women’s Day: A Story in GIFs.

14 Responses to “Happy Inexplicable Google Doodle Day”

1. tallbacka says:

Well at least there is plenty of purple, a colour appropriate for ladies.

2. chrisvee says:

I think the last two letters are supposed to be a pregnant woman.

Did they get adolescent boys to draw this doodle???

3. Toonces says:

Big red dots not really doing or being anything? Made me think of periods. And it looks like that flowery stuff they put on (some) tampon boxes, etc.

4. dronkmunk says:

You missed the periods that are in there too.

5. Nell says:

My first thought was that the second “g” looked like a baby’s rattle.

Except for the female symbol and the flower, none of the shapes said anything to me. I lack imagination. So, too, apparently does the Goog designer of this doodle.

I’m really terrified that chrisvee @2 may be right about the pregnant woman.

8. Ali says:

Stupid graphic… I think the yellow flower could be a nod to Italy’s custom of giving yellow mimosas to women on International Women’s Day. The bra, the baby bump and the hand mirror are almost insulting.

9. Chrisvee says:

I think I like the red period best.

All they need to make this complete is a pot or a pan.

10. Adrienne in CA says:

Here’s what Google says, complete with music video.

11. editor_u says:

I’m not sure what the hell it means. It’s kind of amateurish compared with past doodles I’ve seen. I could buy almost every interpretation by commenters so far. My own first sense, though, is that it’s all about stereotypes, not freedom and empowerment. [well, duh!]

I do know that I’ll look again at the linked article by Ann Friedman when I’m not on the verge of a migraine. [Here we go off-topic.] I have to move windows over to hide the margins when I’m looking at some websites, because the constantly-in-motion-ads make me nuts. How do people tolerate TV? If I’m in a bar, I sit so I don’t have to see the screen (these days, make that “screens”). The editing is absolutely manic, no matter what’s on (usually sports which is worse than “regular” TV, though commercials are the worst of all). It’s almost as painful as a gallery or museum installation by Nam June Paik.

12. Nessum says:

… the constantly-in-motion-ads make me nuts. How do people tolerate TV? […] The editing is absolutely manic, no matter what’s on …

So true! It drives me crazy that watching tv I’m no longer allowed to dwelve – especially annoying while watching dance. Or any kind of artistic performance for that matter – for more than a few seconds at a time. It’s all ‘cut-cut-cut’. Ever tried counting out loud the span of time between cuts while watching? “2, 3, 2, 4, 3, 3, 4, 2 …” ! Makes your head spin.

My theory is that it all started with the ‘hip’ music videos and then spread as ‘the’ hip thing to do, regardless. And probably – at least part of – why kids of today have such difficulty concentrating for longer periods at a time.

“Dwelve”? That’s a neologism I’ve never heard. It sounds like a combination of “dwell” and “delve.”

14. Nessum says:

Heheh – didn’t even realize my mistake. But I like your ‘interpretation’. ;-)