Sunday, June 12th, 2011 · 13 Comments »

Open thread. Consider it the Sunday Startling Snapshots open thread.

Filed under: Open Thread · Tags:

13 Responses to “Gabrielle Giffords looks great and Anthony Weiner doesn’t have the sense God gave a carrot”

1. myiq2xu says:

Weiner is an embarrassment and should resign. It’s gone from tragedy to tawdry.

The defense that he should keep his job because he’s done a good job for our team just sends the message “This freak is on our team.”

Quite a few people took him at his word that he had been framed and were defending him and he made them look stupid when he admitted he really did have some pervy online habits.

He did carve out some new territory though. He’ll be the first congressman to get caught sending women pictures of his dick.

I’m sure he’s counting on being able to weather it out. And maybe he can; people lose interest fast.

3. Swannie says:

I credit a good deal of the Weiner scandal to the MALE STREAM MEDIA who had an opportunity to talk endlessly about their favorite thing , while the women were incidental .

4. myiq2xu says:

Weiner should do the right thing and resign. Then after a brief period of rehab/public penance, he can get started on his new career as a highly-paid political analyst for MSNBC

5. Sameol says:

What’s so ridiculous is that as the facts change, it doesn’t even faze them. First he was framed, then it was fine because it was between consenting adults, then when it turned out whoops, not so consenting, we need to stop acting like helpless victims, pull up our big girl pants and just deal with the fact that boys will be boys and slideshows of our Congressman’s penis are natural replacements for political mailings.

I swear if it turns out he’s harassed underage girls, they’ll say he deserves an educational grant for bypassing the religious right and finding a way to bring Sex Ed to underprivileged kids.

6. Toonces says:

Sameol, he apparently was in contact with a 17 year-old, though I don’t know if anything “happened” there — what I read said nothing did. I think the argument would be that 17 is basically an adult and why should anyone care if teenagers have sex, because of course, if you argue that 40-something, 50-something men shouldn’t be obsessed with teenage girls, you are saying teenage girls don’t have a right to sexuality. Blah blah blah.

7. votermom says:

Glad your site is back up!

MALE STREAM MEDIA

hey, MALE is LAME backwards….I just noticed! :D

8. Branjor says:

Not quite, votermom – ELAM is MALE backwards. But a simple transposition of the M and the L in MALE does make LAME. lol!

9. Carmonn says:

I think Adele Cohen said it best:

I think he should hold his head in shame and resign and go off into a corner,” she said. “I think what he did is so disgraceful. He brought disgrace on himself and his family and his constituents. But if he runs again, he’ll win. Because the most familiar name wins, and his name is only becoming more familiar. And he’ll put out whatever kind of stuff it’ll take to get him to win. Whoever runs against him: Beware. You have to be an angel

He won’t ever resign, and they can’t make him. I think it’s funny that so many people think Anthony Weiner would ever deign to allow Nancy Pelosi or Debby Wasserman-Schultz or anyone else to have power over him. Maybe they can appeal to his better nature–good luck with that.

10. Sameol says:

Oh, that’s exactly the argument they’d use, Toonces. I think Amanda said that anyone who is a virgin at 22 has serious issues, so we’ll have to see how the story pans out and be prepared to dramatically ratchet that age downward if necessary.

11. votermom says:

d’oh!

12. Carmonn says:

Toonces, from what I’ve read, the 17 year-old’s family don’t *think* he sent anything inappropriate, but they’re still not happy that he chose to communicate privately with their daughter. I can see their point. He has enough sense to know that it wouldn’t be a good idea to publicly tweet a kid who writes “My true love” on one of his videos, but can’t grok that sending her private messages isn’t particularly appropriate either?

But of course his fan club thinks that it is just totally neat for a member of Congress to take the time to talk to a high school student.

13. tinfoil hattie says: