How in the hell is Sarah Palin more conservative than Mike Huckabee?

Friday, February 4th, 2011 · 21 Comments »

At first glance you probably think this is your basic Hertzsprung–Russell diagram showing the stars plotted by magnitude and spectral type. As predicted, Mitt Romney is a blue giant (I think I’m going to start calling him Rigel) while Sarah Palin is a G-type main sequence star. No, wait! That’s not what this diagram is at all! You know what it is? It’s a diagram of how women’s rights play absolutely no role in the mental calculations of your average political dude—in this case, Nate Silver.

Silver places Sarah Palin to the right of Mike Huckabee in this diagram because, as he claims, “voters see [Huckabee] as more moderate than Ms. Palin, especially on economic issues.” Really? What voters, Nate? You and your imaginary friend?

First of all, if there is any daylight between Huckabee and Palin on economic issues, I’m not seeing it. But in terms of social issues—you know, basic human rights for women, that kind of thing—Huckabee is so far to the right he’s red-shifted.

I’ve covered this ground before, but let’s review a few key points:

• Mike Huckabee believes that God put women on earth to be subordinate and subservient to men. Unlike Sarah Palin, who explicitly embraces gender equality as a “conservative feminist,” Huckabee believes that women are the inferior sex.
  • Mike Huckabee believes that contraception should be illegal. Illegal. Sarah Palin, of course, is strongly in favor of contraception.
  • Mike Huckabee wants the Constitution to be rewritten to reflect “God’s word.” I’ve never heard anything like this from Palin. (And besides, we know she doesn’t think “God’s word” means women are inferior.)
  • Mike Huckabee thinks homosexuals are dangerous deviants and that people with HIV should be sequestered in concentration camps. Palin is against gay marriage but is comfortable with homosexuality; like Obama, she has said she thinks civil unions are sufficient.

Sarah Palin is a conservative godbag for sure, but Mike Huckabee makes her look like Che Guevara.

21 Responses to “How in the hell is Sarah Palin more conservative than Mike Huckabee?”

1. djmm says:

But Violet — Gov. Sarah Palin has not been a guest on The Colbert Report, like Gov. Huckabee has. That means she is not as cool as Huckabee and is therefore more conervative.

If Gov. Huckabee were a woman, he’d be considered a complete dingbat, by all and sundry. But as it is, he’s considered a contender.

We live in a nutty country.

djmm

2. djmm says:

Oh, and Paul is a moderate??? Really? There must be some other Paul in Congress because it cannot be Ron or Rand.

djmm

3. Sameol says:

What’s hilarious about all this is that while Palin is never going to be President, Huckabee or someone equally bad very well may be. All of this “Omg! Girl! Run!” stuff has been very effective, but it has diminishing returns as there are going to be fewer and fewer women running. So what then–everybody run because while yesterday we were defining him as mainstream, in the absence of any actual woman he’s no longer our harmless eccentric friend but Honorary Girl?

Let’s hear it for long-term strategy.

4. alwaysfiredup says:

I do not understand how people can believe that Huckabee is smarter than Palin, either. The mind boggles.

5. Carmonn says:

And what about Haley Barbour? He’s participated in CCC rallies, for god’s sake, but nothing to worry about there, apparently.

I have to say, I find this chart oddly reassuring. If Michele Bachmann is farther to the right than any active politician, we probably don’t have a whole lot to worry about. What were we so scared of, anyway? It’s a beautiful thing to believe this country is absolutely crawling with right wing nuts only to wake up and discover it’s one big urban legend.

6. Cynthia Ruccia says:

Sameol—-I get a little tired of people writing and saying that Palin will never be president. I consider that “article of faith” by some one of the most sexist memes out there. Why? Because it is a drumbeat used over and over and over again against women who “get uppity” and “out of their place.” In case you have a short memory, it was thrown against Hillary every five minutes to try to get her out of the primary. Fortunately HRC didn’t listen and played her race down to the end. To say that Palin will never be president implies that she can’t win and thus shouldn’t or won’t run.It’s a ridiculous storyline. Who knows if she can or can’t win or will or won’t be president unless she actually runs? Despite what the polls are saying, she could still run and she could still win.It has happened before and will happen again.

As a former Democrat of 40 years and a current centrist Independent, I’d love to see Palin run for president. I’d love to see Michelle Bachmann run for president. I’d love to see 50% of the presidential candidates be women. If people get used to seeing lots of women run for president, maybe one day one of them will win. And when that day comes (50% of candidates for president being women) it will have a symbolic ripple effect for all of us.

7. LJSNAustin says:

Right on, Cynthia!

8. Swannie says:

I would love to see Sarah run for president just to hear some of the debates ;) . I would pay money.

9. anna says:

Here’s some links for the skeptical:

Mike Huckabee thinks wives should submit to their husbands: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/12/huckabee-wives.html

Sarah Palin calls herself a feminist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=185H2X1dNZI

Mike Huckabee wants to ban some forms of contraception, including the birth control pill, Plan B (aka “the morning after pill”), and RU-486: http://www.jedreport.com/2008/01/mike-huckabee-w.html

Sarah Palin supports contraception and teaching about condoms in schools: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/06/nation/na-sexed6

Mike Huckabee wants the Constitution to be rewritten to reflect “God’s standards.” : http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Huckabee_Amend_Constitution_to_meet_Gods_0115.html

Mike Huckabee has said homosexuality “is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk,” and that people with AIDS should be quarantined: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/12/09/huckabee-wont-recant-his-_n_75974.html http://www.salon.com/news/politics/roadies/2007/12/10/huckabee_on_aids

Palin is against gay marriage but is tolerant of homosexuality; like Obama, she has said she thinks civil unions are sufficient: http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/221617.php

10. tinfoil hattie says:

I don’t actually think Palin wants to be president. She wants to be famous.

Huckabee is one of the scariest candidates out there. But he’s a man, so he gets a pass. Gravitas, and all that.

11. Sameol says:

I don’t have a short memory. I remember who received the most primary votes, who had to be stopped at all costs, and who’s President now. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said about a symbolic victory, and I can say that if Palin runs I’ll vote for her no questions asked, as I would for any woman, anytime, anywhere. But that doesn’t alter reality. I don’t think Palin has anything like the support H. Clinton has among the rank-and-file (they always say she does, but where is it?) and regardless I’m not sure the political establishment would stop at disenfranchising two states to prevent this one, we might actually have to switch to some non-representative form of government. (And you know what? I’m not even sure if that’s a joke or not). I’d love to be wrong, but as far as I’m concerned we’re about as far from having a female President as it’s possible to be, and I believe the number of female elected officials will shrink and shrink. The legacy parties have found something that works amazingly well for both of them, and I believe they’re going to stick to it.

12. JeanLouise says:

Huckabee is frightening but I don’t think he has a snowball’s chance of becoming the Republican nominee. His “good ole boy” routine wears thin and even Republicans, for the most part, believe in birth control.

13. Carmonn says:

Palin doesn’t live on some other planet. I’m sure she’s well aware that if she runs, she’ll be subjected to the tortures of the damned by the media, other Republicans, Obama, his supporters, other Democrats, and any passing pitchfork wielding mob. If she or anyone else is brave enough to endure that knowing they’ll likely be just about as successful as Clinton, Palin, Coakley, O’Donnell, Whitman, etc., then I doubt they’ll be deterred by the fact that most people (with good reason) don’t give them much of a chance to win. I didn’t think Hillary Clinton could win, but that didn’t mean I didn’t think she should run, not that she exactly asked me.

I don’t think he has a snowball’s chance of becoming the Republican nominee.

Maybe, but then again that’s what lots of people said about Reagan and Dubya. With a penis and its amazingly moderating influence, all things are possible.

14. grasshopper says:

Palin isn’t really being compared to Huckabee – she’s being measured against a completely separate yardstick made just for women, and is failing to measure up.

Hey anna, thanks for those links. I should hire you as my blog editor.

16. votermom says:

Palin will run. I will vote for her (unless Hilary runs for Pres).

17. Grace says:

Does anybody remember “cutie” Dan Quail, vicepresident to Bush Sr. from 1988 to 1992? He was a man more moronic than most people,with spelling errors, and delusional about being like JFK. But he had a penis, and like education, nobody could take that away from him.

18. JeanLouise says:

Okay, I was just thinking positively about Huckabee’s snowball-in-hell chance of being the Republican nominee. Any party that nominated Dubya could nominate anyone.

19. Kali says:

I had an ex-friend (yes, ex) who was an Obot and wrote the following during the 2008 primaries:

“I will be
    very hard-pressed to believe she [Clinton] will be any different as a president than
    McCain or Huckabee. I have been following Huckabee — and if you ignore his
    religious base, and anti-gay anti-abortion he is as liberal as a San
    Franciscan — about illegal immigrants, about the environment, about stuff
    that matters.”

I think that comment about “stuff that matters” explains a lot about people who put Huckabee to the left of Palin, and on the same level as Clinton.

20. anna says:

Yeah, I wouldn’t vote for Palin or Bachmann, but I hope they run. Women seriously running for President needs to become an expected thing in America, not some crazy novelty.

21. Sharon says:

Totally tangential, but I like djmm’s Freudian slip: conervative.
    Connervative.
    I am an Indy, and work with both sides to get things done, but some days, the Dems are dumbocrats, and the Repubs are connervatives. Definitely.
    I want Palin to run. I’d vote for her, but more importantly, I just want everyone to get used to women running for president, and get over this deeply rooted insane fear and psychosis of powerful women in office. History suggests conservative women get to the top faster than liberal, darn it. An Indy, I guess, has even less chance. But I’d love to see a stage full of women of various stripes running debating each other, and have everyone focus on the issues, not what they’re wearing, how many babies they’ve had, or how their calves look.
    I’d at least like my daughter to have that experience of being on that stage debating, even if I never get to do it, or see it.