What are you having for Thanksgiving?

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 · 18 Comments »
These are not my dogs.

These are not my dogs.

In past food threads we’ve discovered that regional differences in American cuisine are alive and well. (I eat fried okra and blackeyed peas and grits and cornbread; you eat…well, whatever weirdo mess you eat.) Thanksgiving, though, is one holiday when I think a certain homogeneity reigns on the dinner tables of our nation. But hey, I could be wrong.

Here’s my family’s menu:

• Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • Pan dressing
  • Giblet gravy
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Green bean casserole
  • Cranberry sauce (homemade)
  • Yeast dinner rolls
  • Pumpkin pie

What’s yours?

Filed under: Holidays · Tags:

18 Responses to “What are you having for Thanksgiving?”

1. simplywondered says:

is it just me or has that dog in the black hat nicked the collar from the one with the feathers?

vi – all my best wishes as ever for a very happy thanksgiving. keep doing what you’re doing! don’t suppose you have any posts about the imminent chaos in britain? i must check!

2. Alex says:

Northerners would just say “dinner rolls” but the southerners always have to identify them as the yeast kind. Love it! Looks like a lovely spread you have.

Happy Thanksgiving.

3. Swannie says:

Turkey,oyster & sausage stuffing ,pan gravy ,home made cranberry sauce ; cornbread , green bean casserole ( I don’t usually make it, but my son wanted it and he is home this year and I am thankful ), Sweet potato souffle , mashed potatoes , and I made some pumpkin butter too :) .. and pumpkin pie with whipped cream ..apple cider and egg nog to drink .. I put some amaretto in mine ;)

4. ellie says:

Prime rib, roasted acorn squash, green beans and shallots, popovers,and sour cherry tart. We’re just not a turkey family. (And I grew up down the street from Plimouth Plantation.)

5. tinfoil hattie says:

Turkey that was dry & overcooked on the top half, and red & undercooked on the bottom. It musta sat in ice for days. We did bring it up to room temp for 2 hours, but silly us! We didn’t know it had been so cold. It was allegedly a free-range organic turkey, too. Huh.

The giblet gravy, mashed potatoes w/celery root & garlic, wild mushrooms in butter & sherry, green beans, and cranberry relish, however, were awesome. As were the warmed-up dinner rolls.

All in all, not too bad.

6. Delphyne says:

I made roasted turkey breast with herbs, lemon, garlic, 1/2 a honey tangerine, the tops of some anise, white wine and chicken broth. Served with homemade cranberry relish, mashed potatoes, parsnip and carrot puree, brussel sprouts, corn muffins and an apple, pear and plum crumble.

Violet – I hope you had a wonderful day with your family – your menu sounds delicious!

7. tinfoil hattie says:

Mmmmm, I want to come to everyone else’s house next year!

8. Vera says:

I served a turkey that had been brined for 24 hours. This year I brined it upside down so the breast was really juicy–more so than any turkey I’ve ever prepared. I also stuffed the turkey with slices of orange. We had cornbread dressing brought by a friend (normally I make chestnut dressing), mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, and cranberries. We also had a marinated vegetable salad (very colorful), and two kinds of sushi because we’re half Japanese around here. I always make ONE pie, either apple or pumpkin. I don’t want a lot of extra pie left over. Each year, however, I am thwarted by my best friend who brings extra pies. This year we had three pies for five people. With whipped cream. AND ice cream.

9. Nadai says:

We had turkey, stuffing, pan gravy, butternut squash casserole, cranberry-ginger sauce, vegetables marinated in a sweetened vinegar dressing (I have no idea what to call it, it’s something my dad came up with years ago), herb bread, pumpkin pie and pecan-raisin pie. We were going to have corn, too, but forgot to put it until too late, so we’ll do that this weekend and add it to the leftovers.

Everything but the turkey was vegetarian; my mother eats fish/shellfish but no other meat, so she’s come up with good vegetarian versions of stuffing and gravy. We did a Tofurkey one year. Never again.

10. Hattie says:

A perfect turkey and traditional accompaniments. It’s always potluck, but the host does not permit us to bring any old dish. It has to add up to a coherent meal.
    We had potatoes and cranberry sauce and stuffing and so on.
    No sushi.

11. Swannie says:

And.. I DID NOT make Paula Deens coconut coated exploding sweet potato balls , I was afraid…
    And I hope everyone had a great Holiday!!!

12. ugsome says:

On our French table, I served a roast turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce (dinde rôtie avec sa confiture de canneberge), cornbread, sweet potatoes, and green beans wrapped with bacon, accompanied by four bottles of wine, and for dessert, pumpkin pie with whipped cream. I consulted with the proprietress of Thanksgiving, an American grocer and restaurant in the Marais, on reproducing American flavors with local ingredients. The dinner was a big success; our guests were excited to be treated to an authentic Thanksgiving dinner.

13. votermom says:

We are immigrants and we had roasted chicken instead of turkey. But in deference to USA tradition, we also had mashed potatoes, and apple pie. But we had to have rice too, and veggies. And pre TG we had skewered pork, which is yummy.

14. Cyn says:

I cheated this year – went to a restaurant for turkey dinner with family. Had a wonderful time, less costly and no cleanup or leftovers residing in my fridge for days and days.

Violet, what is the difference between stuffing and pan dressing?

Violet, what is the difference between stuffing and pan dressing?

Pan dressing is stuffing baked in a pan. It has a cakey texture.

16. Cyn says:

Thank you. I never knew the difference and thought maybe pan dressing was a whole different recipe. I guess it just what it’s cooked in – the bird or the pan.

It is slightly different, actually. We add an egg to the stuffing to turn it into pan dressing. The egg helps give the cakey texture.

18. Ciccina says:

If they’re not your dogs, whose are they?

Never mind, I don’t believe you. Those are your dogs. Admit it!