Memories…light the corners of my mind

Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 · 10 Comments »

Misty watercolor memories…..

Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards’ Statement on Abortion Ban in New High-Risk Insurance Pools

“Based on the Obama administration’s statement, we are deeply disappointed that the administration has voluntarily and unnecessarily decided to impose limits on private funds used to purchase health insurance coverage for abortion care in the new high-risk insurance pools…

“The very women who need to purchase private health insurance in the new high-risk pools are likely to be more vulnerable to medically complicated pregnancies. It is truly harmful to these women that the administration may impose limits on how they use their own private dollars, limiting their health care options at a time when they need them most. This decision has no basis in the law and flies in the face of the intent of the high-risk pools that were meant to meet the medical needs of some of the most vulnerable women in this country.”

….of the way we were.

Bless her heart, Cecile is upset. No wonder. After what she did to get Obama elected! Handing over the Planned Parenthood mailing list, even allowing an email campaign to spread what she knew were falsehoods—but it was worth it to elect Obama. Wasn’t it, Cecile?

God, I’m so sick of these clowns. All of these clowns.

I just spent a few minutes getting up to speed on the latest from the TriboList archives, and I wish I hadn’t. Not because there’s anything so bad there; it’s just people shooting the shit. What’s depressing is the delusional view from inside the pro-Obama tribe.

Witness this bit from Kevin Drum during the discussion on how to deal with the Jeremiah Wright business:

Kevin Drum, then of Washington Monthly, also disagreed with Ackerman’s strategy. “I think it’s worth keeping in mind that Obama is trying (or says he’s trying) to run a campaign that avoids precisely the kind of thing Spencer is talking about, and turning this into a gutter brawl would probably hurt the Obama brand pretty strongly. After all, why vote for him if it turns out he’s not going change the way politics works?”

Notice the caveat: “or says he’s trying.” Anybody who was really paying attention to the Obama campaign knew perfectly well that it was every bit as muddy an operation as you’ll find anywhere in politics. Obama would go out and give a speech about how “there’s no place for that kind of thing” while his operatives would furiously push every smear against Hillary they could scrounge up. They did it again with Palin. Rather than just opposing Palin and McCain on policy (and god knows there was enough there for that), they orchestrated a huge character-assassinating sexist mudfest, including the above-referenced Planned Parenthood email campaign.

Now here’s the funny thing: all these people who carried on like this did it in the belief that somehow it would be worth it. That somehow, Obama would be different. Think about that. Nothing about him or his campaign was in any way, shape, or form different from politics as usual. Nothing about the pro-Obama tribalism and uncritical reportage was in any way, shape, or form different from punditry as usual. So how did these people fool themselves into thinking this swamp of muck was somehow going to sprout kittens and rainbows?

Meanwhile, we have the example of Breitbart to show us how profoundly and hatefully dishonest the rightwing media is. That’s nothing new, of course. Years ago I remember being amazed when NewsMax edited a Hillary Clinton speech to make it look like she was endorsing Soviet-style communism. The Sherrod video is more of the same.

The left isn’t nearly that far gone yet, but if you lived through 2008 on the Hillary team, you know what I’m going to say next. Let’s see, who was it who doctored that video in Indiana to make it look like a Clinton adviser used the N-word? Who was it who spread the story that Hillary had called for Obama’s death? And jesus, I’m not even going to get into the Palin stuff.

People will say, oh you can’t compare the two, but here’s the thing: it’s all mud. It’s all fucking mud and mire. Our whole political discourse. Just mud and tribalism and hatefulness and secret lists and inside-the-beltway fart-breathing and meanwhile, millions are out of work and lives are being broken. Ain’t no kittens and rainbows gonna come out of this mess.

10 Responses to “Memories…light the corners of my mind”

1. Swannie says:

No Unicorns neither…
    I remember that clip of Hillary that was played over and over …where she said ” I knew the votes in Michigan wouldn’t count ” , but cut it off before she said but I put my name on the ballot so the people would know I cared. (paraphrasing here) Drove me wild .

2. lambert strether says:

Yes, memories.

1. On the doctored war room video, we outsiders don’t know who did the doctoring. You’d think the access bloggers would have wanted to hold some sort of post mortem, but no. And the really interesting question is who (Amato’s “good friend”) viralized the doctored video onto the A list in the first place. I guess we’ll have to wait for the campaign memoirs.

2. See here for the story that Hillary Clinton sought Obama’s death. Of course, pushing that smear is how “progressive” icon Maddow made her bones.

My baseline attitude to the Ds that did this — and then proceeded to throw the base under the bus, see under 10% nominal (20% real) unemployment — is that of Lincoln’s:

[U]ntil every drop of blood drawn with the lash, shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said “the judgments of the Lord, are true and righteous altogether.”

Just saying.

3. Cyn says:

Please, please, please, don’t make me relive 2008 again.

Violet, you are so right. Our whole political discourse really is just mud and tribalism and hatefulness and secret lists and inside-the-beltway fart-breathing and so inane and useless that it leaves me with a sick taste in my mouth.

I wonder what is the use of fighting for causes when, in the end, it’s all glossed over into one tiny sound bite or one photo op or one big ass lie.

4. Sameol says:

And now Eric Alterman and our brothers have reached the conclusion that progressive governance is impossible.

Too bad they didn’t have this epiphany before setting back the cause of women’s rights 100 years.

5. myiq2xu says:

“Barack Obama had a gift, and he knew it. He had a way of making very smart, very accomplished people feel virtuous just by wanting to help Barack Obama.”

Apparently they still felt virtuous no matter what sins they committed.

6. david in iowa says:

In the winter of 2007 and 2008 I worked my booty off for then Sen Hillary Clinton. Watched and listend as she was bashed by the left and right.
    So on that election day November 2008, I was unable to do anything but write her name on my ballot and SMILE. I had no regrets then and even fewer today. HILLARY 2012!!!!!

7. monchichipox says:

Violet I was wondering if you, or anyone else, had the chance to read about the “Journolist” story? So now when you say there was a media conspiracy against Hillary and Sarah they can’t tell you it was all in your head. The funniest in a saddest sort of way was on how they should write about Sarah Palin and “that sad baby”.

Monchichipox, there’s a post attached to this thread that you’re commenting on. Scroll up — see?

9. cellocat says:

I know it will never happen, but I still long to hear someone like Cecile (a national figure, leader of a supposedly feminist organization) admit that it was a mistake to support Obama over Hillary, and that were Hillary Clinton president today, we would not have these horrific encroachments into women’s health & choice not only supported by but proposed and carried out by the “Democratic” administration.

10. Violet: “It’s all mud.” « Blue Lyon says:

[...] “It’s all mud.” Posted on July 24, 2010 by bluelyon What Violet said. Notice the caveat: “or says he’s trying.” Anybody who was really paying attention to the [...]