Thank you for saving my life! Also: what the hell is going on?

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 · 34 Comments »

Hallelujah! That’s what I said when I woke up this morning. Actually I didn’t say it, because if I had it would have come out “Ahh eh ooh ah!” But I was thinking it.

This morning, I actually feel human. A human with a sore swollen jaw and some throbbing pain action, but nevertheless: a human. It is like a goddamn miracle. I’m even drinking coffee!

It still hurts to talk, and so I’m able to share my happiness more with you guys than with my own family. When friends and relatives call the house I say, “Ih orry, uh ih ihh hurh oo ah.” And it does. But I can type like the wind.

Which brings me back to the chief subject of this post, which is my enormous debt of gratitude to those of you who helped me through The Tooth Crisis. I was in so much pain last week, and it was so excruciating to try to move my mouth to make words, that I ended up “talking” to you guys online more than to my own mother. Most of my conversations with Mom consisted of short, urgent ejaculations and vigorous pointing at my mouth. “IH HURH!!!!” Nor was I in the frame of mind to engage in leisurely hand-written communiques. (Dear Mom: I’m sitting here at the kitchen table with Dad’s gun, considering my options.)

And so I turned to you people. Do you have any idea how much you helped me? Especially since my POS dentist didn’t even tell me the basics, like the fact that I needed to get the fucking swelling down in order to control the pain. Those of you who explained that to me in the comment thread: I owe you my first-born. Okay, it’s true that I won’t ever be having children, but it’s the thought that counts.

I’m also enormously grateful for all the advice and anecdotes and experiential wisdom you guys offered up. I couldn’t always pull myself together to comment, but I read every single post in the thread (repeatedly) and researched everything people pointed me to. Considering that the POS dentist told me nothing, your advice was like a lifeline.

As was your company. The nights were so hard — is that a Linda Ronstadt song? — and there were times when I was just frantic. That’s when I would come and sit down and just read the blog. It was so comforting. It’s weird that people who don’t even know me would take time to reach out like that; it’s weird that I should count so many strangers as friends. But I do.

I was telling my Mom that “my friends online” said so-and-so about The Tooth, and she said, “You mean the people who read your blog?” And I said, “Yeah — my friends.” And you are.

(Okay, not all of you are, and hello to you little freakazoid haters with your arsenic cookies that you leave in my mod queue! Fuck you a million times.)

But to the rest of you: thank you. To everyone who commented, to everyone who offered good wishes, to everyone who wondered if they were wasting their time by commenting on the blog of somebody they’d never met: thank you. And no, you weren’t wasting your time. Believe me.

And now, I gotta ask: what the hell is going on? In the world, I mean; the universe beyond My Tooth. There was Christmas and New Year’s and then Mary Daly died and then it’s all just a blur. I have no clue. I look at the Google News and all I see is that Sarah Palin will be on Fox and Martha Coakley may not win in Massachusetts. And the Talking Donkey’s mother died. What else? What’s going on with the healthcare bill? Is Stupak still in? What is happening?

I am offering a princely sum to anyone who can bring me up to speed. Princely! I’m talking thousands! Payable in RAOULS.

34 Responses to “Thank you for saving my life! Also: what the hell is going on?”

1. Shannon Drury says:

This isn’t to fill you in with the news that I, and I alone, have not slept with Tiger Woods. No, it’s to sympathize with your pain–I missed your last post about your cracked tooth somehow. As a longtime TMJ sufferer who has cracked a filling before, I know the pain you describe, and it’s pure hell. I gave birth to my daughter without medication and that was FAR less painful than the throbbing jaw & headache. Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

2. SweetSue says:

Hurray, I’m so glad that you’re feeling human again.
    When your head clears and your quite yourself, I’d love to read your thoughts about the Elizabeth Edwards hate fest that’s going on.
    Meanwhile, rest and relax.

3. propertius says:

Let’s see, what’s new…

Well, President Obama ™ has apparently found a new way to obfuscate the employment numbers in the hopes that none of us will figure out how bad off we are:

Coakley is apparently reaping her reward for sacrificing her female constituents to the Health Care Gods in more ways than one:

Harry Reid is an idiot.

Obama’s poll numbers are down, so naturally there’s a new book on the campaign that slags Sarah Palin, Elizabeth Edwards, and Hillary Clinton. Big surprise there.

Did I mention that Harry Reid is an idiot?

Since he only has two wars, the worst economic catastrophe since 1929, the health care debacle, and a national security apparatus that is apparently run by three fellows named Larry, Moe, and Curly to concern him, President Obama ™ has plenty of time to attempt to influence the Democratic primaries in my state (Colorado). The jury’s still out on whether the White House really strong-armed a sitting Democratic Governor into dropping out of a re-election campaign.

Oh, and there’s a supernova threatening to wipe out all life on Earth:

or, maybe not:

Business as usual, in other words…

4. monchichipox says:

I’ll fill you in on what’s covering the news:
    Hillary Clinton is still a bitch.
    Elizabeth Edwards always was a bitch
    Sarah Palin is a dumb bitch.
    Riell Hunter is a crazy, bitch, whore.
    The Obamas are still perfect.

Even 60 Minutes agrees.

Sigh. It really wasn’t a game changer after all. SOS different day.

5. propertius says:

Oh,yeah: the Virgin Mary has apparently taken up residence in Egypt:

6. Sheryl Robinson says:

I’m glad you’re feeling better, but can’t offer any insights into current events. I’m studiously ignoring the news.

7. Sandra S. says:

A major political figure posed nude! But nobody cares, because he was male.

8. Petro says:

The Chinese consumed more cars than America last year…

9. Michele Braa-Heidner says:

Hello Violet, glad to hear you are feeling better!! I will try to update you on the key areas of interest regarding the health care reform (if that is what you want to call it! Hmph!). Anyhoo, both the House and Senate health care bills have passed and are being reviewed by all to come to a compromise in combining both bills into one. Once this feat has been done, they will send the combined bill to Obama for review. Both bills have amendments limiting funding for women’s reproductive health. The House bill has Stupak which allows no government funding for abortions and the Senate bill would allow women receiving subsidies to buy a plan that covers abortions, although they would have to send in two checks. The caveat? The bill allows states to bar this practice.

The House bill has a public option where the government would create a federally regulated plan that would negotiate payments with doctors and hospitals. The House decided against tying it to the cheaper Medicare rates. (yeah, that would be too good for the people). The Senate version drops the public option entirely. Instead it allows private insurers to offer multi-state plans regulated through the government’s Office of Personnel Management, which oversees the health program for federal employees.

Since both bills are weak in the public option area, I can imagine that whatever compromise they come up with for the final bill will be even weaker, if the public option makes it into the final bill at all.

I’ve been spamming all of my elected officials here in Washington State and President Obama with faxes and e-mails asking them to do what’s right for the American people. My correspondence has probably been ignored but I felt like I had to try!

10. Adrienne in CA says:

You’re back just in time to see Haiti utterly destroyed. Awful.

*****A

11. lambert strether says:

On the health insurance industry bailout: kill the bill. “It’s the complexity, stupid!”

12. Kiuku says:

I figured out what caused men.

13. monchichipox says:

You’re right Sandra. I saw those picture gave a hmmmmm and a laugh. Didn’t stop to think though what the reaction would have been have been if Martha had posed for those.

14. cloaking_device says:

Glad you’re feeling better!

In California News Today: the newest Prop 8 trial began on Monday. The lawsuit against the state of Ca and Shwartzenegger was brought by two couples (one gay, one lesbian) who say prop 8 violates their civil rights.

I was all excited bc the judge had decided to broadcast the trial live so we could watch the whole thing as it happened. Well, of course the f*cking babies from prop 8 got their panties in a wad and filed an emergency appeal to block the transmission, claiming their witnesses were afraid they would be harrassed. (harrassment my ass! helloooo? maybe you should try being GAY for a second you f*cking whiny hypocritical cowards!).

So, the stupid US Supreme Court came to the babies rescue and blocked the transmission, claiming that the broadcast would make the trial unfair. Geez, where the hell was the damn US Supreme Court when they were cutting into my soap opera (OLTL) every day for a whole summer while they were blasting OJ’s trial all over the place? fuckers!!

I am just hoping “our” side has better prepared lawyers this time. But, I don’t think they are going up against Ken Starr, so it might not be quite the slaughter it was before.

And that’s the News from California.

15. Lynnerkat says:

Glad you’re doing better- a bright spot in a rather dismal week.

So glad you’re feeling better! In a mirror image of what you were thinking, I was sitting there, staring out at my garden, worrying about The Tooth. Meanwhile, part of my brain was saying, “Weird, this is someone you don’t know in cyberspace and she’s a friend.”

As for what’s going on in the real world: there was a bad earthquake directly under Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

All the other news is people (still) being stupid. It’s enough to make you want to go back to The Tooth. That’s not something even the gods are helpless against.

17. Jeff says:

Glad you’ve turned the corner!

Here’s a funny sentiment, even if their work is usually pretty iffy -
    45% Say Random Group From Phone Book Better Than Current Congress

18. Patti says:

So glad you’re feeling better. What a POS dentist for giving you no advice whatsoever. You should send him your posts so he knows exactly what you experienced, no thanks to him. I love my dentist. SHE rocks!

19. cellocat says:

Oh, the incredible, joyful relief when pain subsides! I’m glad you’re feeling better, and I hope your recovery is smooth and fast.

20. Sandra S. says:

Oh, and this is kind of old news, but I just heard about it… http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/is-refusing-bed-rest-a-crime/

Some rage for you! Pregnant women have no rights.

21. Nina M. says:

I’m glad you’re feeling better, dear.

I can confirm that all the stuff everyone else mentioned really happened. I think. Also, Miep Gies passed. What a woman. What a life. (I’m sure a biopic will be out shortly. Not).

Also, the judge is screwing up the murder trial of the man who killed Dr. Tiller by considering allowing a sort of “justification” defense. NYTimes reports that jury selection must be conducted in secrecy because some potential jurors are too afraid to state their abortion views in public. Usual extremists are quoted supporting the defendant. Needless to say, if these people were of Arabic descent and/or were Muslim, and the man they killed was an Army recruiter, all of them and everyone they know would have been rounded up a long time ago.

And, SoS Clinton made an amazing speech on women’s rights, family planning, and so forth, last week. I believe it was covered by exactly no one. Text of speech to be found here: http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2010/01/135001.htm

Pull-out quote: “For if we believe that human rights are women’s rights and women’s rights are human rights, then we cannot accept the ongoing marginalization of half the world’s population. We cannot accept it morally, politically, socially, or economically.”

22. votermom says:

This actually made me laugh, the dishonesty is so blatant.

2 MILLION (= 640,000) jobs created! (= possibly saved)

23. alwaysfiredup says:

I’m glad you are feeling better, Violet. You were missed.

24. Val says:

I apologize for NOT commenting about The Tooth, but I am shy about offering what might be construed as medical advice – you know I’m only licensed to practice on animals ;-)! [& no, I don't treat primates of the human OR non-human variety!]
    Glad you are feeling better V.

25. Nina M. says:

Val! Can i ask you a quick question? I hope so, because I’m going to. My dog broke her upper left incisor. She’s not experiencing any pain or difficulty (and she uses it. A lot). The vet said I should take her to a dog dentist; my mom (a dental hygienist) (for humans) says dogs break teeth all the time and if she’s not indicating pain or impairment, to leave it alone because the dentist will just find some way to charge us a lot of money, by hook or by crook.

Is it true that dogs break teeth all the time and so long as they’re okay with it, its no big deal, or is my mother just trying to get rid of the dog by hastening her demise? Their relationship is rather “icy.”

PS. I think “dog broke tooth” qualifies as something that “is going on,” so this isn’t totally OT. Really.

26. blondie says:

Sorry to hear about your tooth. I have great empathy for your plight. Having had teeth that merrily minded their own business for most all of my adult life, I had forgotten what a toothache can do to you. When I had infection before my recent root canal, I could not even concentrate on anything except, “wow, my tooth really hurts. wow, my tooth really hurts. wow, my tooth really hurts, etc.” I felt like one of those people from the olden days who needed a white bandage tied around my head, holding an ice pack on my jaw. When the antibiotics kicked in, it was like a host of angels singing (la, laaa) and the breaking through of sunbeams after 40 days and nights of The Road.

If I can offer something about the broken dog tooth, if you can at all afford it, I’d at least see the dog dentist. Dogs are incredibly brave/good at hiding their pain. I’m not sure it’s true that they break their teeth all the time. Mine hasn’t, over several years. He recently had to have a tooth extracted because the root had died (it was literally black), and we didn’t even know he was having problems, except to think back, he chewed less on that side of his mouth. It was not greatly noticable to us, but I think he noticed and hid it.

27. Val says:

If the pulp cavity was not exposed, the tooth will likely be just fine [that is my criteria for intervention]. No pain, no swelling, no discoloration = happy dog?
    I’m not disparaging what veterinary dentists do – some clients can afford it! – but most of my dental treatment consists of extractions for teeth that have been neglected until they are too rotten to salvage…

28. Val says:

P.S. & I will qualify that statement about “dogs breaking teeth all the time” – yes, it is true, but when those “broken teeth” are canines, premolars, or molars (i.e. NOT the pretty much functionally-insignificant incisors) – we generally DO want to save those “big dog teeth” whenever possible…
    Sorry for derailing the thread, Violet, but I’ll take this opportunity to ask folks please don’t give your dogs cow hooves or pig ears as chew toys – I’ve seen lots of fractured teeth caused by these!

29. FembotsForObama says:

Hooray Violet! Now you have your own story to share with some future unknown about the plight of teeth pain. Yes, it is wonderful that the human condition allows us to all share our experiences with one another even if we do not *know* these people.

PUMA pac had the link to SoS Hillary’s speech … it was awesome and soul-filling to watch. At least it was for me, to actually see people act like grown-ups and give real appreciation for others’ help over the years, not just give out feeble “shout outs” to people in the audience, was very refreshing to SEE.

30. jen says:

Because I missed the original tooth story post, I’m weighing in here with another suggestion for tooth/jaw pain. This is something I do regularly now because of recurring infection in my jaw, and so far (knock on wood) so good. Swish warm salt water around for 5 minutes every night. Also, consider adding a probiotic to your daily supplements. I like Source Naturals Life Flora because it includes Streptococcus thermophilus, and many hard to treat infections are strept.

Also agree with those who suggest a gold crown. All my crowns (5!) are gold and I love them. Hope this gets resolved soon and the pain STOPS.

31. simply wondered says:

‘the tooth? you can’t handle the tooth!’

32. Toonces says:

I’m so glad you’re feeling better (still). The internet’s an interesting place :)

This is anecdotal, but after I started taking magnesium + calcium, my teeth seemed to get thicker/more strong. Apparently magnesium is good for teeth grinders as well.

33. Joanelle says:

Yea! you’re back and feeling better!!! :)

34. Nina M. says:

@ Val, thanks for your advice. I will take her to the dentist because it is an important tooth… it is her fang / canine, not her incisor as I first wrote.

I was going to write “canine” the first time, but then I thought – wait, *she’s* a canine, so *all* her teeth are canines, right?

And I’m not even on drugs.

Thanks again for your help.