I only turn on the TV once a year. You’d think there would be something on.

Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 · 20 Comments »
A close-up of the Christmas tree in the Lounge, showing some of the unspeakable ornaments Dr. Socks has concocted over the years.

Greetings, people of the world. (Or people who read my blog — not quite the same thing. Though there is the President of Finland.) I’m sitting here in my study, quietly working away on the Christmas gift I’m making for my mother. I have the TV on for company, which is something I only do when I’m sewing or crafting. And since I only sew or craft at Christmas, that’s the only time I turn on the TV.

There is nothing on.

It reminds me of last year, when there was also nothing on. And the year before that, when there was nothing on. And that time back in the 90s, when I lived in the big city and turned on the TV one night and you know what? There was nothing on.

So I’m watching the Weather Channel. I love the Weather Channel. It’s so soothing. It is somewhat repetitive, I must say, and I’m not entirely sure that I need my local on the 8s every single 8, if you know what I mean. I also miss Dave Schwartz and worry about what has happened to him. Aside from those minor concerns, however, the Weather Channel is great. It’s by far the best thing on TV.

But still: you’d think there would be something else on. It’s not as if we lack topics. We have a whole planet full of animals and plants and humans. We have art and culture and languages and all kinds of stuff. We have thousands of years of human history and billions of years of planetary and biological evolution. We have a whole universe.

But the only thing on TV is the Home Shopping Channel and some movie with Matthew Broderick.

Merry Christmas.

Filed under: Holidays · Tags:

20 Responses to “I only turn on the TV once a year. You’d think there would be something on.”

1. Kookaburra says:

That’s why I do my crafting where I can see the computer screen – MST3K episodes on YouTube. “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” is my Christmas TV viewing tradition.

(Also “The Small One” but I never tell anyone about it because I’m an atheist and it makes me bawl like a baby. Shhhhh…)

2. Sheryl Robinson says:

I’m wrapping presents for my in-laws, drinking diet Mountain Dew, and smoking one of these http://www.heaven-gifts.com/index.php?gOo=goodspic.dwt&goodsid=162 (really).

I agree about there being nothing on (currently, football), but I’m recording An Affair to Remember, The Great Escape, and Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Christmas Day to watch next week.

Nice tree. Merry Christmas to you, too.

3. Myytinmurtaja says:

Hyvää joulua! Onnellista uutta vuotta!

There’s nothing on TV in Finland, either. I don’t think there’s anything on TV, anywhere. That’s the magic of Xmas.

4. Nessum says:

God jul!

Yes, it does seem like the more channels you have to chose from the less there is to watch. Very peculiar phenomenon, that.

And your tree looks absolutely beautiful!

5. Cyn says:

Yep, TV mostly sucks. We got rid of cable and have an antenna and now get 3 PBS channels that are somewhat entertaining at various times. Way better than anything cable has to offer and it doesn’t cost a cent.

6. SweetSue says:

Speaking of PBS, my local affiliate showed a very sexy, passionate “La Boheme” movie, last night, starring a gorgeous Russian soprano and a hot Mexican tenor.
    It really warmed my cockles.

7. janicen says:

Happy Christmas. If you haven’t already, you must, must, must stop by Widdershins and read Chatblu’s “Twas The Night Before Christmas 2009″. It’s brilliant.

8. purplefinn says:

Gorgeous tree! Thank you.

This has been on PBS recently. The bonobos are a matriarchal tribe of monkeys that are closely linked to us and primarily non-violent.

NOVA
    The Last Great Ape
    Researchers return to the Congo to explore a little-studied group of apes called bonobos.

9. femina says:

My favorite Christmas trees are those with hand-made, or hand-crafted, ornaments that personalize the decoration. Thanks for the picture of your tree, Violet. Merry Christmas.

10. spring says:

There is always the gem shopping network. My cats prefer it during the holiday season. Very sparkly.

11. sam says:

Kookaburra, I’m agnostic and cry at the end of “The Small One” too.

One time I expressed my love for the short cartoon to a virulently anti-religion friend and she slammed it as pro-Jesus propaganda, but she was very receptive to my explanation that it’s not about Christianity, it’s about loyal friendship and the noble worthiness of every single living creature.

12. Alison says:

OMG!!! I love your tree!!!! I especially like the ornament of the brown dress in the front. If you get bored I’d love to see a close up of your favorite ornament. Yes, I am that nerdy with tree ornaments!!!!

Merry Christmas, Violet.

13. Gayle says:

What do you mean there’s nothing on?

Hardball is just a click away!

*snort*

Alison, that dress is actually lavender. The lighting in the picture is very incandescent, very yellowish, so the colors aren’t true. That dress ornament is a replica of a gown my mother wore in about 1972, and then wore again more than 30 years later for a dress-up gala. It has a rhinestone belt at the empire waist and rhinestone bands on the sleeves, which are medieval-style bell sleeves. That was the absolute height of fashion in ’72, let me tell you.

15. jumpjet says:

It’s snowing here, and actually sticking to the ground. This my not seem like much for some of you northerners, but I’m in the middle of Texas. Snow that sticks is an extreme rarity. For it to happen on Christmas Eve is that much more magical.

jumpjet, I saw it all on the Weather Channel. Shocked bystanders in Texas, snow, the whole bit.

See? The Weather Channel is GREAT!

17. djmm says:

I watched A Christmas Carol, the George C. Scott version this year. That’s what VHS and DVD players are for.

Christmas cheer!
    djmm

18. Kookaburra says:

Exactly, such a wonderful little tale – it also emphasizes compassion over greed, and how you can’t evaluate everything on a cost-benefit basis. <3 that movie.

19. Alison says:

Violet,

Ah, that’s what I love about Christmas ornaments. They all have a story.

Our Christmas is more minimal this year. We celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and went heavier on the gelt and latkas this year. So I appreciate the Reclusive Leftist festivities!

Merry Christmas to all!

20. Justthisguy says:

Wow, Ma’am, that tree is just _scary_. I shudder, and shy away from trying to imagine what you might have in the gun safe and the poison locker. (not to mention the clothes closet)