Happy Thanksgiving!

Thursday, November 26th, 2009 · 9 Comments »

We’ve got almost a whole continent to be [snark]thankful[/snark] for:

indian_tribes_1600

Click on the image to embiggen. Go here for the original, which is even bigger.

Open thread, of course. I’ve got to set the table.

Filed under: Holidays · Tags:

9 Responses to “Happy Thanksgiving!”

1. notThankful says:

What native/content movies do you recommend we watch to purge ourselves of the idea of Thanksgiving?

No idea. I like Thanksgiving fine; I just can’t observe the day without thinking about what those events really represented.

3. Alison says:

I feel the same way. I try and get into just the theme of gratitude on thanksgiving but the Pilgrim crap stories offend me, not to mention the school plays that are still put on with kids dressing up as happy Indians with construction paper feathers. God help the teacher who someday tries to dress up my daughter as an “Indian”.

I do, however, appreciate the Adams Family depiction of Thanksgiving.

4. Miranda says:

I always like “Pangs”, the Thanksgiving episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

“To commemorate an event, you kill and eat an animal. It’s a ritual sacrifice. With pie.”

5. Urocyon says:

Depressingly, I find myself pleased that this map even includes us Tutelo.

6. LabRat says:

Around these parts (Northern New Mexico), the reservation casinos always make a huge mint on Thanksgiving by putting on an appropriately turkey-centric spread and then allowing statistics to take their course. My grandmother-in-law loves it and if she had her way that’s probably where the whole family would spend the day.

I’m quite sure this says something, but I have yet to figure out exactly what.

7. yttik says:

Around here many of the tribes love Thanksgiving. They’ve got huge casino events and bring in a lot of revenue. Revenue that goes to support people, social services, and cultural preservation, without the traditional government strings attached, strings that kept them trapped in poverty for decades.

Something else our local tribes really like is the Twilight saga. The Quileute, besides creating some new movie stars, have hired an events coordinator and business is booming. They’re a tiny tribe perched on barely a mile of land always about to be reclaimed by the sea.

Urocyon, you are not too far from me! (Far being a relative term.) Our house is on the site of one of the old Powhatan villages.

9. sonrisa says:

cool map! thanx for posting it!