Martha Coakley for President

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 · 25 Comments »

Quixote started it (I think).

Pick it up. Run with it. Go!

On your blog, in your comments, everywhere. That’s how memes start. Coakley’s got the courage and the convictions. She’s raising her head above the parapet, right now, when it matters. Just as she did last year when she endorsed Hillary Clinton. Just as she did when she refused to surrender that vote at the convention.

Martha Coakley for President.

Martha Coakley

Martha Coakley

Alegre’s Corner has a nice summary bio of Coakley up today, since they’re publicly endorsing her for Ted Kennedy’s seat.

But hey: why stop at Senator?

****

P.S. Do I actually think Coakley could be a presidential candidate in 2012? Doesn’t matter. This is about capturing the mood of resistance to the Democratic anti-woman donkey-shit deal. Coakley is publicly denouncing the Stupak amendment. Send the message that she’s right.

Filed under: Healthcare Reform · Tags: ,

25 Responses to “Martha Coakley for President”

1. anna says:

I think she could definitely run for President in 2016, if she makes Senator in 2010. She’d have more experience than Obama.

2. anna says:

Obama when he ran, I mean.

3. Spiritof76 says:

I sent my message in the form of a campaign contribution. Will tackle Harry Reid by phone or mail. Thanks for the push. After a hiatus, I am ready to get noisy again. Need a new name–the Spiritof76 is now 78!

4. myiq2xu says:

As they said last year – “It’s judgment, not experience that counts.”

She seems to have better judgment than the current occupant at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

5. Sasha, CA says:

The only thing I don’t like about Coakley is her position on drugs (typical DA), but yeah, I could totally get behind her. Don’t you just love how some of the Dem men are accusing her of grandstanding?

6. tpfka nycblue says:

Coakley for President! Someone who stands on principle and won’t back down. What she’s said must’ve rung some bells in MA because apparently Capuano (?), her primary opponent, had to start saying something similar….

And yes, it’s true, we must “push the meme” that she’s running. That’s what the old boys club does.

And if Spiritof76 is 78 now, I hate to think what that makes me (hi mom!)

7. It’s fun to read old blog posts « Donna Darko says:

[...] Martha Coakley for President [...]

8. Nadai says:

My left tit has better judgment than the current occupant of 1600 Penn. Ave. She’s never given billions of dollars to Goldman-Sachs, voted for FISA, or filed briefs comparing gay people to pedophiles. Mostly she just hangs around, commiserating with the right tit about the sad effect of gravity. Would that Obama’s activities were so harmless.

9. Janis says:

AFAIC, they’ve been kicking us hard in our soft spot for the past three decades, and we’ve caved every time on abortion.

Well now, they have a soft spot, their convenient little spot they’ve labelled with Do Not Touch. And hopefully, women are finally waking up and realizing that’s their handle, their weak spot, and that’s where we hit them the hardest, right between the knees.

Cave on Stupak boys, or your precious health care package goes straight down the shitter.

Hopefully, this is also when women learn that when you find out where your enemy’s weakest, most treasured spot is located, you nail them RIGHT THERE for all its worth.

If there is another bill around that matters more to them, we should shoot them one in the nutsack over that, too — stick an abortion coverage or anti-faith-based-caca rider on that one, too. Or else.

You want your green and sustainable energy bill, boys? Hand over the government-sponsored birth control. Ooh, is that military spending bill just the most important thing on earth to you at the moment? Cram on a proviso for free pad and tampon coverage for all female soldiers, and maybe — just maybe — we’ll let you have your little bill!

Where they are WEAKEST, you hit them HARDEST. It’s what they’ve been doing to us for three fucking decades. The health care bill matters so much to them, and that’s WHY we’re attacking them on it.

10. Gayle says:

I was planning on voting for her long before this as she’s the only Democratic woman in the race and I’ve always felt we need waaaay more women in high office.

There’s also that special thrill in knowing a woman could take Kennedy’s seat.

But this turn of events has made me very happy, indeed. It points out how utterly brain-dead male politicians are when it comes to women’s lives and women’s issues. The men in this race couldn’t support this health bill fast enough and not one of them is in the least bit concerned about the Stupak amendment. They’ve even decided to go after Coakley for targeting it.

HA! I hope she wins in a landslide.

11. Gayle says:

Oh, this is rich: Capulano just flip flopped. Now he’s saying he’d vote against the health care bill if it contained the Stupak amendment.

Opps! He said the opposite yesterday! And yes, the press is calling him on it.

Hee!

12. angie says:

Oh, did Capulano flip-flop? Because yesterday he was invoking the dead Ted Kennedy to criticize her position (i.e., he said something to the effect of “We all know how important this health care bill was to Ted Kennedy,” yada yada, yada — long story short, she’s just being a hysterical b*tch who is disgracing the memory of Teddy).

13. Sameol says:

Angie–that was yesterday, today Coakley’s other opponent is invoking the memory of Teddy and how it wouldn’t bother him at all to send women under the bus. Apparently, they switch off days.

14. Instapundit » Blog Archive » KATE HARDING: Face it: The Democratic Party is not for women. Plus: Martha Coakley For Presiden… says:

[...] Martha Coakley For President. Maybe she can run with Lou [...]

15. RalphB says:

Martha Coakley for President. 2012 not 2016!

Or Sheila Bair. Just pick a woman. All are far better than Obama/Biden.

Exactly.

Enough is enough.

(And, yes, I think I may have started it, but if it hadn’t been me it would’ve been you or someone else. It’s time. It’s past time.)

(Oh, and I like to think I started it on my beensy blog (^_^) Coakley for President It was crossposted to Shakesville and The Confluence.)

18. Sasha, CA says:

I love that NOW president Terry O’Neill has Coakley’s back on this (quote: “If women are going to be relegated to second-class status, let’s say so. Mr. Capuano may want women to be in second-class status; maybe he’s happy with that. My guess is Mr. Capuano has never worried about missing a period.”). I can just imagine the response to this we would have gotten from NOW’s previous leadership.

As for Mike Capuano, I’m disappointed. He has a pretty solid record on the issues I care about the most, and I thought of him as one of the good guys. Given his record, I’m not at all sure that he would vote for the final bill if it still included the Stupak amendment, but he clearly saw this as an opportunity to attack one of his main opponents and went for it. I have a feeling this is going to cost him quite a few votes and deservedly so.

19. Adrienne in CA says:

Obama when he ran, I mean.

Either way.

If readiness to be President includes demonstrating LEADERSHIP, she’s already more experienced.

*****A

20. AdaMae says:

Violet – I’m a longtime, daily lurker here and you provide such a refuge with wit, wisdom and common sense. I have a home blog, so to speak, but you’re my neutral corner and I just wanted to say thank you and keep up your amazing work.

21. lambert strether says:

More good judgment from Coakley on the ERA.

22. RNC health insurance plan covers abortion « Politics & Imagination says:

[...] Martha Coakley for President [...]

23. Peg says:

Clinton/Coakley 2012

24. Katherine B. says:

Nancy “Queen Bee” Pelosi is doing her best to stop another strong woman in her tracks. Pelosi is set to endorse Capuano. What a surprise! We all have to get behind Martha Coakley with our money not just our enthusiastic comments. I’ve donated to her campaign and I urge everyone else here to do so.

25. mamabroad says:

Martha was one of the first, if not the first, to say she wouldn’t have voted for the bill with the Stupak amendment. She’s calling it what it is a “false choice”. How dare the media and the Dems present this as if reps have to choose b/t health care reform and abortion rights! Brava to Martha for calling them out on it. Use Martha’s words against them. Call it a “false choice” which is what it is.

“I can’t believe that we are now reduced to saying the only way we can get good health care is by taking steps backward on women’s rights. It’s a false choice.” Martha said.