Dried fruit?

Sunday, November 1st, 2009 · 22 Comments »
"Dehydrated pumpkin!  You'll love it!"

'Dehydrated pumpkin! You'll love it!'

I think it’s fabulous that the Obamas went all out for Halloween. Major style points for the whole thing: the big house lit up with orange, the skeleton band, even the First Lady in a cat woman outfit (which I thought was absolutely adorable).

But this, this:

Barack and Michelle Obama yesterday doled out presidential M&Ms and dried fruit mixes to more than 2,000 trick-or-treaters, marking their Halloween at a White House event partly aimed at honoring military families.

Dried fruit? DRIED FUCKING FRUIT???

Can you imagine being one of those kids? You get to go the greatest Halloween party in the world, with the President of the Universe and the First Lady and everything, and they’re handing out dried fruit. It’s like those crappy people on the block who give out Wrigley’s spearmint gum.

Thank god for the M&Ms. The goody bags “also contained a cookie made by White House pastry chef Bill Yosses,” so it wasn’t a total loss. But still. I bet you a billion bucks those kids would rather have gotten a sack full of Snickers bars and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

This is way cool.

This is way cool.

By the way, a note on politics: I came of age before it was customary to extend one’s partisan antipathy to every waking moment of one’s existence. Meaning that when it comes to holidays, I usually enjoy (or not) whatever the First Family is doing regardless of how I feel politically about the president. The only time I couldn’t do that was when President Bush flew to Iraq for Thanksgiving. I considered that a cheap political ploy, and it angered me. My mother disagreed. She opposed the war as much as I did, but still thought Bush’s Thanksgiving trip was a nice gesture for the troops. Eh. Whatever.

At any rate, in my world it’s possible to be disappointed or frustrated politically with the Obamas, and still think they put on a really cool Halloween party.

Filed under: Holidays · Tags:

22 Responses to “Dried fruit?”

1. yttik says:

What’s really funny about the dried fruit is that it is as bad for your teeth as candy, if not worse. People try to give it out around here and all the dentists are up in arms about it.

It’s lower in calories, though, ounce for ounce. So it’s somewhat better for you I think.

3. Jeff says:

Ego alert folks. All those items are suitable for framing.

4. SweetSue says:

We gave out minature Reese’s peanut butter cups, Snickers and Buttercrunch.
    If I had handed out dried fruit or apples, our house would have been egged.
    It would be funny to see The White House draped in toilet paper today.

5. propertius says:

“Major style points for the whole thing: the big house lit up with orange, the skeleton band, even the First Lady in a cat woman outfit ”

Are you sure she was wearing a costume?

6. Kookaburra says:

Wait was the fruit actually dried pumpkin? Because I would totally go undercover as a be-costumed munchkin to get me summa that. (Have you ever had dark chocolate dipped pumpkin? Heaven.

Also, kudos to MO for the only non-stripperiffic cat costume I’ve seen this year. C’mon, Mr Pres, where’s your costume?

I think my mom has dibs on cruddy Halloween hand outs – she’s morally opposed to Halloween. Not because she’s a neocon fundie (which she is) but because of the candy and junk food. So she would give out quarters wrapped in Bible verses. I’m amazed that our house remained unvandalized.

7. Carmonn says:

That was also my reaction to the dried fruit thing, why not just give the poor kids toothbrushes and floss? This is the last time we come here! Keep your raisins! :)

Are you sure she was wearing a costume?

It wasn’t really a costume. I think it was just a leopard-print sweater set. But she wore fuzzy cat ears on her head and had exaggerated eye makeup, so it was cat woman look.

Dried fruit are suitable for framing?

10. Jeff says:

Dried fruit, cookies, m+ms, I’m assuming all with the presidential seal, could easily last for years. Fruitcakes didn’t become a cliche by accident.

Painted-gold frame, goodies under glass, accompanied by 5 x 7 souvenir photo, hung over the mantle like any other religious talisman.

11. slythwolf says:

This gives me pause. I am saddened by our culture’s insistence that calories are bad, or something, instead of, you know, what you need to survive. Dried fruit is better for you than candy not because it has fewer calories but because there are a greater variety of nutrients in it.

Anyway.

I remember the Bush Iraq Thanksgiving thing, and I remember thinking it was kind of an insult: you can spend Thanksgiving with the President, whom you don’t know, but you can’t spend it with your family, who loves you.

12. Puma-SF says:

Did the bloviator dress up as Erkel?

13. tinfoil hattie says:

Meh, some kids are allergic to chocolate, and/or their parents won’t let them have it. I’m not so opposed to the dried fruit thing.

Also: I gotta say, following the first link and looking at the pictures – my bitter ol’ heart was warmed by the sight of dozens of African American schoolchildren at the WHITE HOUSE. I live in the DC area, and lemme tell ya, that ain’t the norm. From previous administration get-togethers, one would think there are NO African Americans living in DC.

14. ladydawnelle says:

Sorry Violet, nothing MO does/says or gripes about is either CUTE or ADORABLE! yuck

I will give them props for attempting to satisfy their base. For once. They lost me before they even STOLE IT in 08.

15. propertius says:

There really needs to be an html tag for “snark”.

16. angie says:

I agree with Violet: at the holidays I enjoy whatever the First Family is doing regardless of my agreement (or not) with their policies. I also think Michelle’s cat woman “costume” was cute & appropriate.
    However, I’m with Violet’s mom on the Bush Thanksgiving trip — I bet the men & women over there enjoyed it & that is good enough for me.

17. angie says:

PS — forgot to add: I also agree that handing out dried fruit sucks a$$ & is totally pretentious. WTF — it’s Halloween. {rolls eyes}

18. femina says:

SweetSue — Your treats were my favorites when I trolled the neighborhood in my home-made ghost outfit many moons ago. I remember we also asked for UNICEF donations enroute. Michelle takes up childhood obesity next year and couldn’t be seen giving out yummy, sugary snickers bars.

I lived in DC during the Clinton years, and I remember the gatherings being mixed. Easter Egg Roll, for example. But I don’t know what it was like during the Bush years.

20. DHM says:

It might well be that more African Americans sought tickets to come to this one.

I wasn’t thrilled when I read that Michelle dressed as catwoman. I pictured the tight sex kitten costumes I have seen elsewhere, but this, I agree, it’s cute. It’s charming, and it’s not a sex kitten (one of my daughters once, watching a writhing Catwoman on an old Batman show, asked me if Catwoman needed to go potty or something).

So I like this, and the skeleton band is hilarious.

I believe the President came dressed up as the President.

21. K.A. says:

Eh, I think the cat thing on women is vomity. I remember The Office even made fun of that in one Halloween episode by having every woman cast member having showed up in a cat costume, though they didn’t do any overt joke acknowledging it. I thought that was hilarious and so true. So many girls did that when I was in school (pre-degradation trend). But I felt it was all, “Look at me! I’m a cutesy lil’ domestic am-nal, tee hee!” Barf. It’s relieving compared to what it could have been, but the country would not have accepted the Stepford Wife that way. The demure little cutesy housefrau, on the other hand….

P.S. I LOVED the other costume thread! I actually saved it to my computer.

Re: dried fruit, yeah, unless it’s a sugared up fruit roll-up, kids want nothing to do with that junk. I always hated the bastards that gave out pennies and, worst of all, GOOD N’ PLENTY! Though I don’t agree about what someone said about it being as bad for your teeth–that’s only true if it’s sugar-sweetened, which virtually all prepackaged dried fruit needlessly is. (I even had to specifically request that my grocer start carrying unsweetened dried fruit, and they were happy to oblige). The skins actually have anti-bacterial qualities on top of a type of sugar that doesn’t tend to cause dental caries. Anyway, boo to crap candy on Halloween, yay to them decorating.

22. K.A. says:

*having shown, grammar, etc., sorry, zomgOHnoez