Friday, July 17th, 2009 · 125 Comments »
The newly re-decorated Smoking Lounge.

The newly re-decorated Smoking Lounge.

Greetings, people! Thank you all for your patience while the curtains and wallpaper and slipcovers were a-doing.

The new theme is…well, you can see what it is. Weird, like me. (If you can’t see the new stuff, clear your cache and try again.)

I’m still in the process of installing and updating plugins, etc., since my old theme was too archaic for any upgrades. We’re talking vacuum tubes and giant cables here. I’m also moving around pages and re-organizing a few things.

I’ve cross-tested this in a bunch of browsers and it should be okay. Let me know if you have any problems. Unless of course you’re using IE 5.5 or lower, in which case God help you.

P.S. Make sure you scroll down to see the pictures at the bottom. I decided to tuck some stuff down there so as not to busy up the main part of the blog or make the header any bigger than it already is. Kind of a nice surprise for people who get to the bottom of a post or comments. Giant footers are the wave of the future!

Filed under: Reclusive Leftist · Tags:

125 Responses to “Grand re-opening of the Lounge, with a free gift of user testing to the first 1000 visitors”

Just checking to see if this preview thingy is working. It’s changed so that now there isn’t a pop-up — you just see the preview in the same screen, and then press post.

2. Andi says:

testing… to get the free thingamabob.

3. Sis says:

And I’m just checking to see if, when I enlarge type six times in Firefox, it turns into a two-word wide thread.

NOOOOOOO! Hurrah.

Very nice. I’m still partial to the dining room decor though.

4. SweetSue says:

Congrats, Dr. Socks, on the new look and the smoking lounge is gorgeous.
    I love the tassels on the pillow and curtains. No, those are too fancy to be curtains, they’re draperies, darling.

5. SweetSue says:

Hey, no secret numerical code–I love it!

Sis, is THAT what you do? I’ve never understood about the two-word wide thing, but I didn’t realize you were enlarging the font six times.

7. Andi says:

Random observation, ’cause I nothing about interior design, and I’m in a talkative mood:

Palin twitter last night “…10 dys til less politically correct twitters fly frm my fingertps outside State site.”

Sweet Sue, I may have to put some Captcha back in. But the old one was ooooold and needed to die. For right now we’re protected by Akismet, Bad Behavior, and of course The Filters.

Speaking of Twitter — now that I’ve moved from the Stone Age to at least Iron I here with the blog, I need to do my Twitter thing in the sidebar. I haven’t screwed with it because the old theme just couldn’t handle widgets.

10. LJSNAustin says:

WOW, the place looks fabulous!!

11. Andi says:

Wish I could EDIT my posts…

“..,I KNOW nothing about interior design…”

What would you twitter about? I don’t know how people come up with stuff to say so many times in one day. “shaved my legs” and “had one too many beers” would be the highlights of my day.

12. TheOtherDelphyne says:

It’s gorgeous!

Thanks!

I would probably Twitter things like “still alive — no time to read email” — since that is my situation a lot of the time. My email gets backed up atrociously.

14. riverdaughter says:

Woah! That was completely disorienting. You’re breaking all of the rules, Violet.
    But I guess that’s the point, eh? ;-)

15. Mari says:

I love the new theme!

You’re breaking all of the rules, Violet.

I am?

By the way, most of the comment code is legacy because I’m used to how the numbering works. But I may change the styling a bit.

WordPress enables threaded comments now. Do people like that?

18. Sis says:

I think enlarging text may be my problem with the skinny comment threads. In the previous incarnation, images and your original post spread out to the right blog margins, obliterating the first several ‘comments’ cues. Accompanied by the two-word wide comment threads, it was all a bit of a billious ride.

We’ll see what happens now.

19. Sis says:

I still get a distorted comment box, kind of like two boxes, one superimposed on the other. It works ok. The images are right. The ‘smoking lounge’ stays in its box. Good.

20. Cyn says:

It’s loverly!

21. Andi says:

txs… just remembered to check my email.

btw, I like the new design and look forward to learning more about feminism and how it may (or may not) fit into my personal views!

…I’ve now exhausted my rambling talking mood… thanks for the forum.

Sis, I just made a change to the comment code. Let me know if you still get the double boxes.

23. Sis says:

Just one box now, but it leaks out to the right. That’s not a problem for me.

The ‘smoking lounge’ stays put. So really it’s great. Thanks for the changes.

24. m Andrea says:

Oh I LOVE this, it is beeeeeutiful! Velly nice job! The tabs are gorgous. Yet the columns for blogs are ALWAYS too narrow on a wide screen monitor, I hate that. The background color is really original and refreshing.

Been wanting to refurbish my own dusty blog for ages, but just too busy with other projects to learn DreamWeaver. So I am jellus.

Just one box now, but it leaks out to the right.

You want to send me a screenshot? Because I’m not sure what’s happening.

26. Sis says:

I don’t think it would “hold”. When you opened it, it would show as your browser sees it. But if you’ll tell me how to do a screen shot I will try it.

27. FLAConnie says:

Wow, what a surprise. Who knew “curtains” could make such a big difference?

The new theme/site looks amazing.

28. Sis says:

Anyway Vi, I am talking about the box as I type spreading out to the right. When I post that, it fits where it’s supposed to.

Gotta run. Need memory sticks. Oy.

29. femina says:

“Space alpacas” — next we’ll be knitting sweaters for the cold winters a-coming via the corporate robbers’ Treasury heist.

The new header blew me away! My “takes everything literally” side had replaced my “knows something’s up” side and I thought you were changing your real home decor. Jokes on literal me!

It’s downright gorgeous, violet. I’ll have to click on all the new buttons. Now, first the “Preview” button.

Sis:

When the box is doing whatever it’s doing on your screen, do ALT-print screen. (Hold down the ALT key and click the Prt Scr button). That takes a snapshot of what’s on your screen.

Then go to your email and open a new message. Right click “paste” and drop the picture you just took into the body of the message. Send to moi.

31. Elise says:

It’s gorgeous! (I love the “Other Stuff” tab.)

(I’m on a 2001 iMac running Mac OS-X, Version 10.3.9; using Firefox 2.0.0.20 and everything looks marvelous.)

Yup, Previewed comment works great.

I’m torn about threaded comments. It can make them more like a dialogue but it also means newer comments that are replies to older comments end up nested halfway up the comment thread and don’t get seen by people checking back to read new stuff.

32. angienc says:

Woo hoo! New place is fabo! I’m going to like it here. :-)

33. Lori says:

Beautiful! Elegant! I do know interior design and I’d like to know what’s lighting up your fireplace ‘cuz it doesn’t look like fire. You and Raoul must have some awesome romps in this place.

Glad your back.

You know, my gramma used to make slipcovers at the drop of a hat – something I’m jealous of. But even she never pulled off this kind of transformation.

Actually that’s Raoul in his pure ectoplasm form. He was in a silly mood and decided to sit in the fireplace for the picture.

That’s exactly what I don’t like about them.

36. Tatertot says:

Ahhhhh…nice!

Come for the Space Alpacas, stay for the ambiance.

37. yttik says:

Oh, this is lovely! I really like it.

It works good with firefox, but most things do. Dumping IE sure made my life easier.

38. soopermouse says:

I LIKES IT

39. Sis says:

I don’t see an ‘alt-print screen’ button in Firefox. I have a ‘print’ button under ‘File’ but when I hit that it wants to send to a printer. If I right-click with my mouse–just checking–it’s not there either.

But really it’s ok. When I hit preview, the box snaps back the way it’s supposed to be. As with post. The main thing is I can now see what I’m posting and reading.

I don’t see an ‘alt-print screen’ button in Firefox.

It should be on your keyboard. On mine the Prt-Scr on the upper right side, and the Alt is on the lower left side.

41. seattlegal says:

You have a very nice place here, Dr. Socks. I like the new upgrade. :)

42. Joan says:

Wowsers! Love it!

Elise-I’m running the same except you’re behind on your updates! 10.4.11 and 3.0.11. :)

I have no problems with Firefox here ever. Can’t say the same for some other sites unfortunately-looking at you riverdaughter!

43. anne says:

I don’t like change but this is nice. The space alpacas are luvverly.

44. riverdaughter says:

Yeah, it’s not business professional or “I’m too serious for my own good”. It’s wild, out there, full of personality. Isn’t that a good thing? You wouldn’t want to be like one of those stick in the muds like Lambert, wouldya? As for The Confluence, well, Katie takes care of it so we won’t have to and she does a damn fine job. But we’re not the Llamas at sunset on some alternative world kinda people.
    You are, apparently.

45. murphy says:

oooohh!!!

veddy veddy niice!

xoxo

46. murphy says:

violet #17, oh noes!!

not the dreaded “Do we nest comments or not?” debate!!!

47. Sis says:

I did that. Repeatedly. Nothing. I get a little image box that’s empty when I right click it into my e-mail.

Really. It’s ok.

Is it Firefox?

Is it Raoul.

48. Zoe Nicholson says:

Great move ~ and I know how much work is involved. This is going to be just fantastic! What an upgrade.

I do wish the right column was 25% and the main column was 75% – right now it appears to be 40/60.

Something is hankie with the script in the header. I cannot read it al all.

49. ekittyglendower says:

I love the new look!

50. Lexia says:

Sis,

On my laptop, it’s shift/PrtScr that works (rather than Ctl/PrtScr), holding down the shift key while pressing the “PrtScr””SysReq” button. It the leftmost in that group above the F keys that I usually only hit by mistake, along with NumLock, Pause and Break.

Then I go to some program that takes an image like Openoffice or (feh!) Microsoft Word, and hit shift/insert key. Probably not the most efficient way to do things, but it gets by.

Love the new place, BTW. And -love- how my aging eyeballs get a break with the new font embiggening powers. This here comment just jutted out into blank space, rather than squeezing into its two word column width as before. I’ll be hitting Ctl/+ a lot more often, that’s for sure.

51. ekittyglendower says:

LMAO @ Raoul on a horse!

52. gxm17 says:

Wow. I thought I’d hit the wrong link. Very spiffy!

53. allyHM says:

Wow! Looks great! :)

54. nevermore_a_Dem says:

Disorienting at first glance, thought my bookmark went awry, but this new look is FAB, Dr. Socks!

Ahh, no more number codes to enter? Nice!

55. DancesWithPumas says:

Excellent! Love the new look!
    Nothing beats redecorating followed by a house-swarming.

56. lalala says:

Love the colors. Great job, Violet!

57. DancesWithPumas says:

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice on my iPhone too!
    All systems “go”. Tower cleared.

58. hilary g says:

looks nice! however, if i could make one suggestion, it would be more alpacas.

59. Elise says:

Yeah. We’re stuck in that “we’re not sure our poor little machine will handle a higher release and we don’t want to waste time trying because any day now we’re going to buy a new machine” limbo.

however, if i could make one suggestion, it would be more alpacas.

More alpacas are pretty much the answer to everything, if you ask me.

But I decided to keep the central content section pretty subdued since this is a very wordy and occasionally serious blog. Imagine a post about rape or something, with animated alpaca gifs prancing across the screen. I don’t know, maybe that would be good.

61. Sis says:

Thanks Lexia. I sent it to Vi.

Ah, well, I did deliberately want a wide sidebar so I can put various wide thingies there, like YouTubes and such. Sick of having a narrow sidebar. And I wanted to keep the overall width of the content under 1000 pixels — wider is great for people with giant screens, but not for others. And the liquid columns on the old theme were just rotten.

Something is hankie with the script in the header. I cannot read it al all.

It’s just a gif that says “feminism, politics, and space alpacas in the Spirit Smoking Lounge with your host, Violet Socks.”

Is anyone else having trouble reading it?

63. bluelyon says:

omigod…it’s gorgeous. Did you do all these colors for me?

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice on my iPhone too!

Now that is the true test. Excellent.

65. Sis says:

In the photo of the Mope in the religion dept. what is that pointy pink thing next to the Nanaimo Bars?

66. DancingOpossum says:

The new smoking lounge is to die for!!! The old one was lovely, too, so all in all, well done.

LOVE the new format!

Sis, what pointy pink thing? Are you looking at the big mope picture maximized?

68. Alison says:

I love the new look!!!!

69. leis says:

It’s gorgeous, but I did a double take when I hit my bookmark. I thought I was being punished for spending too much time on the intertoobs. I will miss the “I’m watching yer erektyl dysfunktion” though. That always cracked me up>

The old one was lovely, too, so all in all, well done.

I didn’t design the old one. I just picked a WordPress theme that sort of suited me and didn’t have big pink umbrellas or women in bell bottoms or black Star Trek logos.

I liked that old theme for about six months. Then I got sick of it. That’s been three years now.

71. leis says:

ooh, no numbers either. I lost many a brilliant comment because I neglected to put the number in before hitting preview. Ok, only brilliant to me.

I will miss the “I’m watching yer erektyl dysfunktion” though. That always cracked me up.

It’s coming back! That’s the MEEGLA (The Magical Evil Eye Gaybot Lolkitteh Avatar) and it protects the blog. The Rev. B. Dagger Lee gave it to me and it’s an omnipotent amulet. I’m planning to sneak in a tiny version of it in the footer. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

73. leis says:

Using the words omnipotent and erectile dysfunction in the same sentence cannot be a coincidence. I want a t-shirt with MEEGLA on it. Or maybe a shift dress?

74. Lynnerkat says:

Very nice renovation!- Sign me up for the MEEGLA t-shirt too!

75. sister of ye says:

Love the new decor. Glad you included the pic of you at the bottom. Reminds me of old, old movies on TCM.

Can I use space alpacas in my next novel? It’s not like anybody but me reads them anyway so you don’t have to sue me.

Should I ever find a small alpaca I will make you a puck. You can pick the propeller color (blue, green, orange or purple for a small one; I think red, blue or yellow for a large one, not at home yet to check).

76. soopermouse says:

I think you may have forgotten to close a tag, thebackground is clickable.

77. Jeff says:

“I would probably Twitter things like “still alive — no time to read email””

Did I miss a resurrection?

78. Nora says:

What a pleasant change! Very nice.

79. Sis says:

Scroll down to The Mope image. At Tigger’s feet: cheese, wine, baguettes, pink thing, Nanaimo Bars.

80. Kalibhakta says:

WHOA! Rockin’ redesign. So typical of thy wit and élan.

81. Three Wickets says:

Cést magnifique. Ze bar, it is off to ze side, no. I am sure of it. Bessie is singing, Gertrude is carrying on. Voila, life is as it should be. What is ze language spoken in ze lounge. Anglais? Ce nést pas possible. Mon Dieu. Well, as you please Violet. Now, who are all these people. Enchante..enchante..

82. Carolyn says:

Absolutely beautiful, Violet. Thank you

I think you may have forgotten to close a tag, thebackground is clickable.

The header background is supposed to be clickable. It takes you home.

Oh! That pink thing. Half-gallon of chocolate milk.

85. MojaveWolf says:

love the pix/design! thumbs up!

86. Three Wickets says:

Are the footers meant to be clickable? Maybe not yet loaded? The four images not clicking for me on Firefox or IE. Oh and, how does one make those cool red boxes that reference and wrap a previous comment particle above the new comment. Thanks. Really looks terrific.

No click on the footers. I may change that, but I’ll need to jiggy with the code some. I’m still thinking about where to put the MEEGLA.

The cool boxes are blockquotes. Wrap the quote you’re using with blockquote tags, like this:

<blockquote> quote you want to enclose </blockquote>

When you do that, it will look like this:

quote you want to enclose

88. Sis says:

The quote boxes are red? I do need a new monitor.

I love the image of the smoking lounge in the footer. Where do you find all these pictures that make me want to be there/learn to sew?

89. Sis says:

Chocolate milk. Of course. So how is you know about Nanaimo Bars?

They’re not really red, but that’s how Three Wickets referred to them. They’re the same brownish orange color as the headers in the sidebar and the other dotted lines. The background is a graph paper pattern that’s just kind of grey.

Sis, I collect pictures. Really. I just grab pictures all the time of things that interest me or look beautiful to me.

91. Three Wickets says:

What’s a MEEGLA? Also been wondering how one makes italics in WordPress. Finally, and I’m getting greedy here, how does one embed links in highlighted text. I am willing to pay for these secrets of the temple.

As someone said above, on bigger desktop screens, zooming in can be great – under the view menu up left in Firefox, and under the page menu up right in Explorer. Once adjusted, page should open to that size every time.

92. Sis says:

I don’t see it as more than slightly beigey, but overall, with the grey background, it’s very restful on the eyes.

93. Three Wickets says:

I don’t want to brag. Or maybe I do. But I chose the same matted turqoise color for the background of my Twitter page. Don’t believe me. Check it out. Find me there as threewickets, one word. How’s that for a back door plug.

Three Wickets, the keys to the queendom:

<a href="http://www.w3schools.com">This is a link</a>

<i>Defines italic text</i>

<b>Defines bold text</b>

95. Three Wickets says:

I owe you big time. Domo..domo arigato gozaimasu. Sugoi!!

96. Sonic Ninja Kitty says:

Great! I could never navigate on the old one–it would freeze up for some reason.

Nice pictures :)

97. spring says:

Wonderful pretty, delicious colors, great accessories, and most functional. I’m feeling a left-right disorientation though…

98. Three Wickets says:

Somebody may have mentioned this already Violet. Not to be a pain in the ass, but the page refreshes to the top of the thread, not the bottom. Just an fyi. (smile)

99. Three Wickets says:

Cept when one is previewing the comment..

100. Three Wickets says:

Nope, now it goes to the bottom. My mistake.

101. Briar says:

It’s a real pleasure to arrive at your site. Well, it always was – but I love the Inca theme and the colours. And the alpacas, of course. They look like the pair in the field on the moor above my house.

102. cellocat says:

the brain did something like this: “Whaaaaaa – Reclusive Leftist – ttt????? huh? Oh, I guess this is the site, and she wasn’t kidding about redoing the lounge. psych!”

I saw the movie “Moon” tonight, and thought I was done with the surreal for the evening, but apparently not.

The alpacas are the best. Perhaps rather than being animatronic, however, they’re just zen masters who were cats in their previous incarnations. I do wonder if they’re a)from outer space, or b)currently in outer space, and c)if b), how they got there.

And I second Anne at #43 by saying, I don’t like change, but this is nice. :-)

103. seattlegal says:

Sis says:

Are you sure those are Nanaimo bars? They look like the image Wiki has for chocolate:
    Wiki image: Chocolate

104. soopermouse says:

@The header background is supposed to be clickable. It takes you home.@

The sides are clickable too

105. SYD says:

Very well done!

And that from someone who has just recently rehabbed a kitchenette into a coffee bar/ lounge.

It is nice to imagine my blogger cohorts enjoying their beautiful digs….

Oh, and as for the website. Love the colorful tabs!

The sides are clickable too

soopermouse, where exactly is your cursor when it’s clickable? If you can describe to me exactly where on the blog it is, that will help me sort it out.

seattle gal, you’re right on the chocolate. That’s just a picture of three kinds of chocolate, not Nanaimo bars. But when Sis said Nanaimo bars, I realized that the picture does look like that!

108. octogalore says:

Awesome drapes!

109. Sis says:

The tabs which are more than one word have the other words below the tab. Like this:

About Dr. (coloured tab)
    Socks (not in coloured tab)

Sis, I haven’t changed anything. Did it look like that yesterday? Do you have your font enlarged?

111. Sis says:

Oops. Yes it is enlarged. But now that’s the only thing that’s not perfect and I just forgot why. Sorry.

112. Swannie says:

Oh.. and that little box on the table plays internet radio and is tuned into Goddess Radio ( you know the show that supports the women of independent music) isnt it ??? ;)

113. nina says:

It’s fabulous. I say no to threaded comments and yes to more Raoul.

114. nina says:

Not that you asked abuot Raoul, but I’m just sayin’.

115. Sis says:

Yes more Raoul. Although as an experiment (strictly sciencey you understand) I went to You Tube and did a search on Raul’s back and hair, and got this set of tubes slobbering over native men. Michael Spears and his brother Eddie, Michael the other one that Raoul ectoed into. Not all native men look like Raoul or the guys on this mawkish tube. The majority are underdeveloped, have the legacy of rickets, pelagia, TB, alcoholism, diabetes and drug abuse. I did managed to lift myself from this negativity though by then seeing the cast list for We Shall Remain, where I spotted the name of a homeboy. Also noted, most of the hunks are Canadian. I’m not sure how that came about. so anyway, more Raoul.

Very nice, Violet. Just for your browser database: I run Firefox 3.5 on Ubuntu. Everything seems to be working just fine, including the ‘preview’ function which I just tried.

I’m doubtful about the furniture in the smoking lounge though. Won’t all those fabrics absorb the smell of smoke too much? I suggest leather.

117. Sis says:

In spite of the fact that the smoking lounge is so fab, and all of you, I am hating the internet more and more, and wishing I didn’t have to pay all this money for what is mostly irritating, slow, inscrutable, always updating (WTF? Get it right before I pay you damn it!) and really, if a car worked this badly, it would be a lemon. But no, Gates is a billionaire, and so is Jobs and we keep thinking if we just try some new widge (Twitter) it will become useful and fun.

118. Sis says:

And that’s how men make me feel. If there are problems, it’s just that I need to update, and work at it and tweak it and try new things, until *I* get it right.

(Hey, Sis, sink onto one of those rather comfy-looking cushions, whistle up Raoul, or whatever his name is, and demand his best phraxoin smoke, and forget about the rest. That’s what a smoking lounge is for. ‘Twould be churlish for all the effort put into it not to enjoy it.)

As for me, dibs on one of the alpacas.

120. Tabby Lavalamp says:

It looks like I’m going to be the voice of dissent and say I don’t like it. Or at least the title image at the top. It feels that instead of the kick-ass, take no crap feminism I love, I’ve somehow stumbled onto a New Age-y, let’s all align our chakras, everyone is right let’s all get along kinda place.

But luckily our host is still Dr. Violet Socks and the above is only the impression the imagery gives, not the reality of her writing.

121. soopermouse says:

Violet: on the sides of the content table, where the background colour is visible. I use IE6

I’m sorry, soopermouse, but I can’t reproduce that. I’ve tried running this on IE6, and I don’t get clickable sides. I can’t imagine why it would be clickabe.

123. donna darko says:

Groovy!

124. simply wondered says:

well everyone else loves it so it must be great. me? i fear change, i think. but you are here, so i love it. and the alpacas. but no ballet dancers? surely they are coming. enjoy your new disembodied home.

125. propertius says:

Jeebus, you go out of town for a couple of weeks on business, and when you get back everything’s changed. The new decor is, as donna said, groovy. That’s definitely the word for it. Groovy perhaps with a pinch of “far out”, although I do believe I detect a dash of “you had to be there”.