We won! We won! We won!

Saturday, June 20th, 2009 · 39 Comments »

WOO HOO!!!!!!!

Terry O’Neill is the new president of NOW!!!!

We WON!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!

The scene over Indianapolis tonight as the city erupted in joyous celebration at the election of Terry O'Neill as the new president of NOW.  Okay, not really on the fireworks.  But Terry really did win!

The scene over Indianapolis tonight as the city erupted in joyous celebration at the election of Terry O'Neill as the new president of NOW. Okay, not really on the fireworks. But Terry really did win!

39 Responses to “We won! We won! We won!”

Really? No, really? Or do you mean “not really” as in the caption to the photo. I’m confused. It’s so hard to believe any good news any more.

If really, then W000T!

I noted on the caption that I was only kidding about the fireworks.

Yes, Terry really did win! By 8 votes!

3. donna darko says:

How did that happen? I mean, seriously? The combined traits of Lyles and O’Neill would have been the ideal candidate (young, black, cool, principled, experienced, more qualified – read Alegre and Patricia Ireland’s articles) but I thought Lyles would win like Obama did. O’Neill is going to get on sexism’s ass!!! Yay!

She won by only 8 votes.

5. donna darko says:

Tell us more!

I’m hoping some of the people there will post details or do a guest-post about what went down. I’m hearing wild stories but not at liberty to repeat.

7. angienc says:

Well, I guess that means I will have to re-new my membership in NOW.

8. Sweet Sue says:

Why, on my computer, is there this long blank, white space between the title of the post and the post’s content? Is it hot in here or is it me?
    Good news about NOW.

9. Terry O’Neill Elected NOW President « The Confluence says:

[...] Dr. Violet Socks reacts: We won! We won! We won! [...]

10. myiq2xu says:

She won by only 8 votes

See what happens when you let the voters decide elections?

I’m biting my tongue so hard it hurts.

12. soopermouse says:

i hope she will do good by all women.

13. Patti says:

This is great news!!!

I see it also, Sweet Sue #8. The very long blank space occurs quite frequently with Violet’s posts between the title and the contents. It may be only if she posts a picture. I thought it was just my computer.

14. taggles says:

Yay!!!!! :-)

15. Anna Belle says:

Thanks for the report, Violet. I didn’t get to go because I am buried under a mountain of grading, and since I couldn’t vote, I figured, why bother?

That said, NOW just got a new member! I’ll sign on for Terry and see what she does.

16. SYD says:

Wow. I can’t wait to hear how this shakes out. The stories will be wonderful, I am sure!

I guess I need to shell out a few bucks and join NOW again….

SYD

17. Nora says:

I will wait and see if she lives up to the billing. We’ve been disappointed too many times. If she stands up for all women then I will join too. Here’s hoping she’s not another Obama ass kisser.

18. yttik says:

Greta is excited:

19. Sis says:

Sweet Sue and Patti. I have it too, including a narrow comnment section. Always have. I think it might be Firefox.

20. KendallJ says:

Violet,

Could you tell us a little more about her and why you are so exited about her election? In what ways has she said that she will change N.O.W.?

21. Patti says:

Sis,

FTR, I don’t have Firefox.

Maybe if you expand the screen width. The picture is 500 pixels wide, plus there are the sidebars.

When I have a chance I’m going to change the theme of the blog to get rid of these liquid columns.

23. Sis says:

I have not had this problem any other blog or website. I put up with it because the content is so good.

24. yttik says:

I get the narrow comment column and the long white space sometimes too, but it’s random. Today everything looks good.

25. anne says:

Is anybody going to provide a first hand account of the conference?

26. Nora says:

I haven’t seen any display issues with this site. Everything looks good.

27. Lynnerkat says:

Oh. I might have to re-join NOW.

28. donna darko says:

They say PUMAs swung the election except they call us “Palin supporters” like PUMAs are “Republicans” and “racist.” Get it?

See the blog, vivalafeminista, for details.

29. donna darko says:

And the only proof they have they were “Palin supporters” is that they passed around Lynette’s shocking NOW financial and membership figures:

There’s a meme going around Lyles was brought down by her association with Gandy but she was almost an equal partner with Gandy during plummeting finances and membership:

The National Organization for Women, Inc – Status – 501c(4)
    Kim Gandy, President
    Oldga Vives, Exec. VP
    Latifa Lyles, Membership VP
    Melody Drnach, Action VP

The National Organization for Women Foundation – Status, – 501c(3)
    Kim Gandy, President
    Oldga Vives, Exec. VP
    Latifa Lyles, Secretary / Treas.
    Melody Drnach, Education VP

The National Organization for Women PAC
    Kim Gandy, Chair
    Latifa Lyles, Treasurer

The National Organization for Women Equality PAC
    Kim Gandy, Chair
    Latifa Lyles, Treasurer

30. donna darko says:

Lyles was exclusively in charge of membership and treasury so draw your own conclusions.

31. yttik says:

“they call us “Palin supporters”…

I see that, donna darko. The theme I am reading in some blogs today seems to be that a bunch of Palin/Hillary/Puma women infiltrated the NOW elections, LOL. It kind of made me laugh because of the irony of complaining that NOW has been infiltrated by a bunch of women-supporting-women, struck me as kind of funny.

32. DisenfranchisedVoter says:

Links to various opinions:

The Lyles supporters are not taking this well it seems. Donna Darko is correct that some are blaming “Palin supporters” and Clintonites for O’Neill’s win. They are also threatening to take “diverse” and “progressive” feminists elsewhere. It’s the same threats we heard during the primaries. If Clinton won, African-Americans and progressive would leave the Democratic Party. I don’t see anything wrong with O’Neill except that she really does represent change from the status quo that we’ve seen from Gandy for 8 years. Good luck and this does seem to have injected a new energy in the organization I haven’t seen in a long time.

33. Sameol says:

Oh noes! NOW has been infiltrated by…feminists? Yuck!

They’re too funny, next time out they’ll be pushing Favreau or something.

34. donna darko says:

Here is Terry’s slate blog started on May 19:

They write about pension plans excluding maternity leaves, same sex benefits, Sotomayor as SCOTUS nominee, attacks on Sotomayor, Dr. Tiller, Alexia Kelley as HHS and Letterman.

Yeah, like Patricia Ireland and Carol Moseley Braun and Olga Vives.

People supported Terry because Kimandellie have run NOW into the ground. Their behavior last year was embarrassing, and continues to be embarrassing. It’s not about supporting Palin or even Hillary, but about standing up for women and against sexism, no matter where it comes from. Kimandellie’s NOW was all about cozying up to the Democratic establishment. They weren’t advocates for women; they were advocates for Barack Obama.

That frustration set the tone, but there are more fundamental problems with the organization. Falling membership, irrelevance, and incredibly irresponsible finances.

Terry and her team have a plan to get things back on track organizationally AND to reinvigorate the grassroots, in-your-face feminist movement.

That’s why they won. That’s why people like Patricia Ireland backed them.

36. Reader says:

I’m a lapsed member who will rejoin.

37. anne says:

Someone who didn’t like the sexism Sarah Palin was subject to = Palin supporter I imagine.

What they really mean is that the Hillary supporters swung the NOW election. The third wave were so much more excited about a black man being elected president than they were about a woman winning, in fact they didn’t want a woman to win because she would have spoilt the man’s triumph. They need to stay the hell away from feminism until they’ve sorted out that little bit of internalised misogyny.

38. alwaysfiredup says:

Congrats Violet. This is a victory we can chalk up to you and your visitors, I think.

39. donna darko says:

Patricia Ireland’s comment in Salon:

Latifa is NOW’s Status Quo

How strange to read criticism of National NOW’s website and its status quo in general, but then a recommendation that the incumbent, Latifa Lyles is the solution! Latifa is one of the current officers and represents the status quo in NOW. She is running on her record – which has been to have NOW function like a traditional inside-the-Beltway organization. For those of us who are concerned that the retreat to backroom meetings and insider politics will backfire and hurt women’s rights, the choice is clear. Terry O’Neill will have a wider array of targets in her sites: yes, government, of course, but also Wall Street and Wal-Mart, the media and the military,religion and familiies…all the institution that shape women’s lives. And she vows a wider array of tactics to hold our friend and our foes accountable to improve the lives of all women–women in poverty, lesbians, women with disabilities, women of all ages, races and ethnicities.

See Matson’s and Lynette’s comments too. Violet’s comment:

Latifa is not the candidate of change

Latifa Lyles doesn’t represent change. She is Kim Gandy’s hand-picked successor, and it’s well understood in feminist circles that Latifa represents the continuation of Kim Gandy and Ellie Smeal’s control over NOW (Ellie being the power behind the throne). That’s why there is such a strong movement afoot to support Terry O’Neill, who promises real change and a new commitment to feminism.

We all saw the establishment feminist trainwreck last year. If you want more of the same, by all means, support Latifa. But if you want NOW to be a powerful, vibrant organization again, Terry’s your woman.