I heart David Paterson

Saturday, January 24th, 2009 · 19 Comments »

If you’re going to put a dude on the cover of Ms. and call him a feminist, shouldn’t you at least pick a dude who is, in fact, a feminist?

The photoshopped Ms. cover at right came to me in an email from Nigeria, so it may be the work of the Scaife foundation. But even if it is, I like it. Gov. Paterson may not be a super-feminist (is any man?), but he’s definitely a feminist.

Remember last month when he raised a ruckus because there wasn’t a single woman on the slate of nominees for the Chief Judgeship of the Court of Appeals?

“Because we’re citizens of a state in addition to being public servants, we’re outraged,” Paterson said, adding that the panel’s rejection of more than half the population could discourage women.

“What we really wanted to do is just publicly acknowledge … the disappointing fact that they spanned the globe and couldn’t find a woman in New York state that was qualified to serve as the chief judge,” he said.

Yeah! Bite that, Naomi Wolf.

Yesterday Gov. Paterson came through again when he appointed Kirsten Gillibrand to Hillary’s vacated Senate seat. Women in the Senate are rarer than red diamonds, and Paterson wasn’t about to let our numbers drop any lower.

I heart David Paterson.

(P.S. Totally off-topic, but Paterson bears a strong resemblance to one of my best friends in college. Every time I look at him I think of tequila shots.)

19 Responses to “I heart David Paterson”

1. Anna Belle says:

I agree, and thank you for spelling his name correctly, speaking as a former Patterson. Micks like Paterson and I take name-spelling seriously. Heh.

I’d do tequila shots with Paterson any day.

2. Lynn H. says:

You know, he looks sexier than O on that cover. Hot Damn!

I agree, Lynn. I think Paterson is very sexy, in a teddy bear kinda way.

4. Sis says:

I couldn’t begin to imagine him making those cracks about “sweetie” and “cutie” and picking “99 problems but a bitch ain’t one” or looking in the other direction while Sarah Palin was called a “cunt” and Hillary groped by his speechwriter. Seriously, can you imagine anything like that? Nor could I picture him slapping his wife’s derriere with national media cameras rolling. I think he might have said “doesn’t (his wife’s name) look lovely tonight” or whatever it was both Obama and Bill Clinton said about their respective wives. That’s allowed.

What a class act. A statesman.

And yes, I’m aware he and his wife have had some problems.

5. yttik says:

I started paying attention to Gov Paterson right after he was appointed and he said, I had affairs, my wife had affairs, and I did drugs too! Then his wife came out and confirmed it all. Besides being funny, what was so beautiful about that, is that it was a declaration that I will not be politically blackmailed. It was also so refreshing, because most of our politicians have a holier then thou, point fingers at everybody else, kind of attitude. Then we watch them fall from grace, one after another. Paterson said, I’m human, deal with it. And don’t try to dig up dirt to use against me, because I’ll just give you a list right now and admit to everything.

Whoosh, sucked the wind right out of their sails.

Now that was real change.

6. Anna Belle says:

Wow, that’s awesome, I never knew that about Gov. Paterson! He really came out said all that yttik? I’m looking that up…I appreciate that kind of honesty.

7. djmm says:

Well said, Dr. Socks! (And yes, I like your version of the cover muc better than the original.

djmm

8. Unree says:

Plus he is also extremely good on same-sex marriage. Some pundits say he bungled the Caroline Kennedy non-appointment (the NY Times ran a front-page story to that effect), but I don’t agree. If he looked uncertain about whom to pick in the face of much pressure, that’s just part of the “I’m human, deal with it” demeanor that yttik mentioned.

9. Alwaysthinking says:

Behind every cloud, there’s a silver…oh, I know it’s a cliche, but how wonderfully refreshing for a year that has been so pitifully lacking in support of true women.

10. wiggles says:

Yeah, Paterson’s cool. But it would have been better if Ms. had put Hillary Clinton on the cover and talked to her about her Secretary of State appointment and her commitment to enforcing human rights of women and girls. That’s what a feminist looks like.

11. datechguy says:

Even more important he named a qualified woman who has stood before the voters in the past. I may disagree with her on some issues but she certainly has the credentials.

I personally think Caroline Kennedy was a horrible patronizing choice. I never trust anyone who is not willing to face the voters. An elected official with a proven track record is almost always a better choice.

Contrast her with Hillery Clinton. One can say that she got consideration because of her name but she stood for election. She dealt with the legitimate “carpetbagger” issue, worked and campaigned hard and won election and re-election in her own right. Nobody can honesty say that she hasn’t proven herself a competent and effective senator, I suspect she will; subject to the policies of the Obama administration; be an effective secretary of state.

Patronizing choices lead to charges of tokenism and elitism. There are plenty of qualified women out there who have worked hard to get where they are. When that work is rewarded everybody wins.

If Caroline Kennedy wants to enter congress let her run and face the voters as Clinton did. If they choose to elect her then so be it. Maybe she would be good at it, but let the people make the choice.

12. NoMo says:

I totally agree! I was thinking the same thing. Great post and tribute.

13. Cindy says:

I say we cut to the chase and start organizing to have Kirsten run for Prez in 2012.

14. fsteele says:

I’m liking Paterson a lot too. I love it if he came out and confessed all his sins: “Publish and be damned.” Also he lambasted the media (Jan 9) for hyping CK.

As for asking CK to take another 24 hours to think over her withdrawal — that’s not promising her the appointment. That’s just normal human courtesy to a grieving family after Ted Kennedy’s collapse.

15. madamab says:

yttik said:

Me too. As a New Yorker, I thought it was brilliant – and now, his leading opponent in Albany (Joe Bruno, a long-time Republican politician) has been felled by his own corruption. Paterson 3, New York press and Repubs ZERO.

I think Paterson has some dumb ideas with regard to taxation, but after the way he said no to Caroline and appointed Kirsten, he has my vote and $$$$ in 2010.

16. gxm17 says:

I agree! Paterson is so much better looking than that doofus Obama. The Governor is honest-to-goodness handsome.

And, damn right. If Caroline wants a Senate seat, let her earn it the hard way: Run for it!

17. Alwaysthinking says:

Oh, I am slightly off-topic, but not really. One of the major women’s groups just caught up with me after trying to get me for some time. They wanted to “thank me” for all that I had done for them and for my previous contributions. I interrupted to tell them that I could no longer support them because they and others did not stand up to all of the horrible sexism in the campaign. The caller patronizingly told me that that’s just the way politics and campaigns are, but I responded that I knew a great deal about politics having lived for a very long time in a capital and having been involved in much politics. When I went on to mention the manipulation of the vote at the Democratic Party, the caller said, “That was the DNC.” Another time she said, “That was the media.” I told her I was well aware of what the media did and said, including that on the web, but that I did not hear any of the major national women’s groups speaking out against any of it. Pretty soon, she said, “I understand, but I have to go.” So she did — having never asked for money from me.

18. fortherecord says:

Paterson’s Ability to Lead is Questioned:

A Problem With Women:

19. Adrienne in CA says:

Violet, I wonder what you think of this business with David Paterson. Is it a case of someone who really gets the importance of women’s equality (his elequence on the subject was so far beyond the usual neglect or pandering), but as is true in so many all-too-human examples, through misplaced loyalty or whatever, failed to align his personal conduct with his ideals? Or is he the victim of politically motivated character assassination? Or were we just taken in by another smooth talking dude?

I feel bad for him, and hope that’s not misplaced.

*****A