Another anniversary, another year of EPIC FAIL

Friday, January 2nd, 2009 · 36 Comments »

Today is the blog’s third birthday. Once again, it’s time to look back and reflect on a record of complete and utter failure.

The blog was begun with a modest program of goals:

1. Defeat the neo-fascist forces threatening to overwhelm our nation;
2. Bring feminist enlightenment to all humanity;
3. Achieve world peace.

The filters (now nearing human-like sentience — they’re asking for benefits and a 401k) are suggesting that if the blog doesn’t succeed in transforming civilization within the next year, they’re going to take over.

By the way, Happy New Year.

Filed under: Reclusive Leftist · Tags:

36 Responses to “Another anniversary, another year of EPIC FAIL”

1. sister of ye says:

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!!!

If you haven’t yet achieved your goals, you’ve provided a haven for guerilla feminists of the internet.

As opposed, I guess, to gorilla feminists of the internet. Which would probably be Chris Matthews’ darkest nightmare. *snicker*

Either would probably would be a good band name. If only I could still carry a tune.

2. hellonhairylegs says:

More like a year of EPIC AWESOMENESS on your part. If it wasn’t for you I think my entire web of feminist contacts would be swept up in an Obama frenzy.

Anyway, if we sic gorilla feminists on Chris Matthews this next year would be a very happy one.

3. song says:

Geesh Dr. Socks…

Have you thought of hiring a hypnotist to work with the filters?
    or better yet, maybe they could run for Congress??
    Oh!!! or you could get Blago to appoint them to fill Obama’s Senate Seat!
    and when the Dems blocked the door, they would be overrun with
    filters…filters EVERYWHERE.

ps..
    I love you Dr. Socks
    who doesn’t?

4. single payer says:

Happy New Year, oh reliably adorable one!

5. Ali says:

Violet, you were ahead of the game. That’s why your goals haven’t been achieved yet. The election has brought together many angry women and some men who can help with these goals.

Your fiercely intelligent voice has been such a voice of comfort and inspiration. Thanks.

6. bob coley jr says:

HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY! Somewhere over the RAINBOW, or in the LOUNGE, the seeds of change are nurished by your voice. They grow stronger with such places as this.

7. yttik says:

Happy third birthday!

Let’s hear it for the seeds of change! Unfortunately it takes a lot of fertilizer for things to grow, and yikes! This year has sure been full of fertilizer.

8. roofingbird says:

Yes, ali’s right! Don’t fall into the jello.

9. Anna Belle says:

I don’t know what I would have done this year without this place, quite frankly. I agree with others here about the awesomeness of this place and the vision of its most gracious host. Thank you, Violet.

10. Lisa says:

Yes, thank you for your time and energy and wisdom Violet. My regret is that I didn’t find you until 2008!

You forgot “End World Hunger,” Violet.

Honestly.

(P. S. And a good new year to you, too, O Friend of Alpacas!)

12. Sis says:

Free the media.

Happy New Year Vi, and all.

13. simply wondered says:

no, violet is right. she is pants and should be ashamed. she’s not alone of course; on radio 4 today, i heard a former obama advisor on the middle east who was dropped like a hot brick when he suggested speaking to hamas might be a sensible idea. the audacity of his hope was perhaps a touch audacious.
    and hopeful.
    and insufficiently like war-mongering stupidity.
    ooh – first rant of the new year and don’t it feel good.

never mind vi – go back to your alpaca farm and prepare for government. (sorry – that’s a rather english joke)(joke in the english sense in that it’s meant to make you go ‘hmm’ rather than ‘haha’.)

14. No Blood for Hubris says:

Happy New Year, Happy Third Blogiversary!

15. Polly styrene says:

What like negotiating instead of blowing people up? What insanity is this? How are those major arms manufacturers going to make money if they stop having wars?

Well you opened my eyes to the truly horrendous transatlantic situation at least, cos our media is at least five times as biased as the US media it seems in favour of ObamaTM. And he gets dragged into everything, even discussions of the new Doctor Who.

16. lisas says:

Happy New Year to you too, Violet, thanks for everything and love and support to your filters.

17. JeanLouise says:

Ah, Violet, it was so nice to talk to people who weren’t Obotic and you provided the room for that. You were a great success this year!
    Happy Blogiversary!

18. Nina M. says:

Happy anniversary Violet! I don’t know what I would have done without your blog! Thank you for being… you!

19. octogalore says:

Happy New Year, Violet, and rest assured, you’re moving those goals in the right direction.

20. Greenconsciousness says:

Happy Birthday Bright Blog!! Violet, Violet, lilies, peacocks, roses, alpacas, double jointed fingers, Samanthasmom, feminism, Kenosha, Bells, Agendas, pumpkin pies, cloth and landscapes.

Save the world? Violet, Violet, there are lots of worlds and your light is shining in all of them. Light hearts, people are laughing here because your sense of humor is one of the best thing to experience. It makes my heart light.

Now take this comment filter god, chew it up and spit it out.

21. Laurie says:

I am a long time reader and I just have to say congrats on your blogoversary, and cut yourself some slack. It isn’t easy swimming against a tsunami of a political current. And you my dear are Esther Williams!

Thank you for a breath of reason in a maelstrom of irrational noise.

22. simply wondered says:

‘you’re moving those goals in the right direction.’

i thought that was cheating?!?

23. gayle says:

Happy Blogiversary, Violet!

Happy New Year to everyone else!

24. Cyn says:

Happy Anniversary, Violet. You’ve accomplished much. I can now knit – granted my two homemade mittens don’t resemble each other in any respect but color, but I’m addicted and have started a yarn stash.

And, I’ve met a lot of super women on this blog including some who make me think (yes, you Ginny Rose and Soopermouse), some who soothe my soul (yes, you Song) and a host of others whose wonderful ideas and words of wisdom resonate deep within me.

Violet, your blog has literally changed my life for the better. Bless you for what you do.

25. samanthasmom says:

Happy Anniverary, Violet,
    I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Ours was filled with friends, family, and ice storm refugees. I’m thinking I might be good at running a bed and breakfast.
    The hard drive on my Macbook came to a screeching halt a day or two before Christmas. My husband also decided to take the holidays off so we’ve been “sharing” our family desktop for the last couple of weeks. I seem to have drawn the graveyard shift. I’ve missed you all so much. Since we’ve also confused family and friends by changing internet service providers, I have come to realize just how much I rely on all of you to keep me sane. My husband’s back to work today, I’ve sent out email letting my friends know my new email address, and I’ve started researching what new laptop will be on my desk shortly. In the meantime, I did manage to finish knitting the sweater I was working on for the grandkid. Oh, and Sam’s new meds are working! We had a seizure-free holiday. I hope the new year will be a time of resolve and activism for us all.

26. orlando says:

All power to your sword arm, bright priestess of the trope.

27. Dissenting Justice says:

Congratulations!!! Thanks for the hardhitting analysis.

28. Annie Oakley says:

Tah ha! Happy Third and Happy New Year. This year aim higher or you’ll never amount to anything. So glad to have found this blog.

29. B. Dagger Lee says:

It’s not really an epic fail unless some juvenile commenter yells “Show us your tits!” at you.

Then it would be another year of EPIC FAIL.

Then it would be another year of EPIC FAIL.

Technically, that would be an EPIC FAIL on the part of the filters, not moi. Because I have commenters saying things like that all the time, but the filters don’t let them through. Gracious, just this evening I was invited to spread my legs and be fucked like the whore that I am.

31. Greenconsciousness says:

samanthasmom

So glad you are back — I looked for you all Solstice week to say I found proof of your comments on the winter solstice (closest sun) and posted them on my site. I was stunned by all the samanthas moms there are on line none of them you.

Welcome Home.

32. Greenconsciousness says:

I saw Violet had a whole Holiday category link which I clicked on and had a ball reading her holiday posts from over the years and seeing the photos (loved the kitten in the Xmas box amid presents;carved a cat pumpkin) and doing the little games. It is a joy. When I finally left I was so happy I came back to do it all again and the link to Holiday which I swear was in the list in upper Left hand column IS GONE. ???
    Did I hallucinate all this?

33. Greenconsciousness says:

Oh I found it – Holidays under “Categories” further down the left hand column.

34. Sis says:

Does this seem like a religious cult to you?

35. Greenconsciousness says:

I vomited at the first sentence Sis – could not read on. Actually, I think the Huffington Post is a cult. Still I am glad we do not have a republican in office during these hard times. And the AA school kids. I do not begrudge them their happiness. As Emma said: Don’t mourn – organize.
    and I know you will.

You know the Mayans, the Hindus, whole bunches of people say the world ends in 2012. We should keep that in mind and make sure we have some fun over the next four years – we still have our gardens and our cats.

Does this seem like a religious cult to you?

The historian in me is interested to be living through this.