This is your brain on Obama

Sunday, September 28th, 2008 · 8 Comments »

Quixote has a post up which enunciates well one of my biggest frustrations with the Obama cult of personality: the way it makes right-wing political positions suddenly acceptable to previously liberal people. It’s the “I trust Barack” phenomenon, which you can observe in full bloom on the various Obamabot blogs whenever The Precious endorses some grotesquerie (liquid coal! faith-based initiatives! government spying!). As Quixote says:

…I think Obama could do more damage to the country than McCain. People pretty much know what McCain stands for and whether they’re for it or against it. Good-looking governors make it a warmer ticket, but don’t change the fundamental equation. Obama, on the other hand, does one thing, says another, and enough people are so desperate to believe in him that they lie to themselves so that they can keep doing it. Look at the reaction on the left when he started promoting faith-based government. Suddenly the left, the left, was trying to find reasons why it wasn’t such a bad idea after all. The ability to make people believe night was day was Reagan’s talent. He succeeded in making selfishness respectable, and then even admirable. He could make people forget which way was up. It’s very hard to climb out of a morass if you can’t even see that.

Obama, judging by the evidence so far, has the same talent. Based on what he’s done rather than what he’s said, he’s a Republican. Maybe Republican-lite, but that’s not the important part. What scares me is the large majority who, a year ago, finally understood that they don’t want that crap.  But he can make them think they do.

8 Responses to “This is your brain on Obama”

1. kenoshaMarge says:

Isn’t it funny, odd funny, that just a short time ago so many “progressives” were moaning about how Republicans just voted “party”. Progressives repeatedly said how stupid conservative voters were for doing that. Like Obamacrats it didn’t seem to occur to them that calling people stupid is not the way to get them to see your point of view. Quite the contrary.

Now Obamacrats insult and demean liberal that doesn’t see things their way. Seems they just won’t, or perhaps can’t, learn.

It must be very confusing to be an Obamacrat. You have to keep changing your mind about the things you find important and the things you find intolerable. Once the two become interchangeable, congratulations, you are an official Obamacrat. No principles. No firm hold on issues. Just an adoration for someone that isn’t worth adoring.

I’m rather simple that way, I don’t “adore” any damn politician. Even the ones I think might be half-way decent people and do a half-way decent job. I save adoring for my grand-kids.

2. myiq2xu says:

Kool-aid kills brain cells

3. Pat J says:

We are being sold a product. The Obama supporters who find nothing wrong with his continued changing of positions are just the testers who are tweaking the product like eager salesmen. So the engine does not work, the windshield wipers are superior!

4. InsightAnalytical-GRL says:

Use this as an antidote…

A new one from Grail Guardian…a few more reasons why the “deal ” isn’t sealed?

THE LINEUP: A Who’s Who of The Associates of Barack Obama

“For months now, we’ve been reading and hearing from the Obama campaign that it’s not experience that matters for Barack Obama (whose paper-thin resume includes being a Community Organizer, Chair of the failed Chicago Annenberg Challenge, and running for public office), but rather the excellent judgment that he displays. In light of the continued media frenzy favoring Obama and shielding him from public scrutiny, I decided that it would be timely to revisit that judgment in the form of the people Obama associates with professionally and personally (both past and present). I personally have been able to find few people that are close to the Illinois Senator that I would want anywhere near the Oval Office, but I’ll let you be the judge. I intend this article to be part of a much needed grassroots effort to educate those that only get their news from the Main Stream Media or do not follow politics closely, so feel free to link it, print it, e-mail it, or do whatever you need to do to get the word out (giving proper credit and/or links to Insight Analytical and myself is always appreciated). You can consider it an Obama 101 Picture Book Primer and a serious attempt to save this great nation.”

Dr. Socks, thanks for the shout-out!

The amazing thing (maybe I’m easily amazed) is that the shit about The Chosen One just keeps getting worse. I think he’s doing a smooth job of hiding who he is, and then stuff like the news from Missouri comes out, where he’s using state prosecutors to pull ads saying bad things about him. And, as far as I can tell, it hardly gets reported. Fried, indeed.

6. votermom says:

Quixote, that’s a great post. My comment on it is:
    That’s the problem with charismatic leaders. They ask you to follow them through hell and high water, and that’s exactly where they take you.

7. MountainSage says:

It’s the same phenomena we witnessed with the right and George Bush. As a matter of fact, Obama reminds me a lot of George Bush.

MountainSage

8. goesh says:

In the recent debate, did anyone notice that McCain never said a word about the Drone missle strikes in Pakistan that have been going on for some time now and Obama talks about approving the exact same thing if he were President?