My plan for when the Depression hits

Saturday, September 27th, 2008 · 28 Comments »

Molly and I are going to raise alpacas. I’ll make clothes from the fleece and sell any leftover fiber for cash. Molly is looking forward to finally having something to herd.

We’ll cut down the trees on the rest of our land (firewood!) and grow corn, beans, and squash. Just like the Indians.

We already have chickens: a few weeks ago two roosters and a hen showed up and have been hanging around ever since.

It’ll be good.

28 Responses to “My plan for when the Depression hits”

1. Tabby Lavalamp says:

And when things get really bad, you can eat them!

I know I’m not American, but your economy has strong ties to ours, and frankly I’m at the point now where I think I may want Obama to win because I don’t know how much more screwed up the world financial situation will get under four more years of Republican economics.
    On the other hand, it’s probably a good thing for the rest of the world if other countries step up and take an economic leadership role. Okay, forget what I said about Obama winning…

No no no! Mustn’t eat the cute little alpacas!

3. sister of ye says:

Tabby, hate to burst your bubble, but the U.S. is essentially running two Republicans this year. No good policiies whichever of the two clowns gets elected. In fact, I credit McCain with at least having the country’s benefit at heart. Entirely wrong ideas how to get there, of course. Obama I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw him. He’s as secretive as W. Bush, with as many crooked connections.

Violet, your ideas sound great. But even a garden is impractical for me. Even if my arthritis allowed me the effort, there’s an industrial area behind my house and the rainwater runs off from it into my yard. I wouldn’t trust anything I grew in it.

If I want to kill myself, I’d rather go with my backup plan – take the last of my cash, blow it on a wild weekend, then kill off a fifth of vodka and jump off a bridge. Alas, I haven’t figured out how to have wild weekend in my 50+ years so far. Slow learner, I guess.

4. Anna Belle says:

We’re eating Depression Cake at P&L.

5. slythwolf says:

Nigel and I are planning to set up a commune with some people in the biggest building we can manage to get our hands on, and, you know, recruit people with various skills and all help each other. Alpacas or even sheep sound like a pretty good idea, if you know how to spin; I should probably get on that. Also growing flax. Michigan summers don’t lend themselves well to animal fibers.

6. creeper says:

Violet,

You’ve got the ratio wrong with the chickens. You need more hens than roosters. (snark)

McClatchy is up with a story quoting economists as saying the bailout is not needed and won’t work. Good read.

7. kenoshaMarge says:

I wonder if I could get away with sneaking an alpaca into my small back yard if I told everyone it was a long legged dog. Cause that is just the cutest critter. Would they harm my squirrels, groundhogs and a zillion birds that come daily to my 3 bird feeders?

8. ea says:

While there is still a little money left…

please consider (and make) a donation to the McKinney/Clemente campaign. Thank you.

9. slythwolf says:

Don’t see why they would. They’re a herd herbivore, like a sheep or a horse.

10. simply wondered says:

a top plan! you will do just fine until we brits arrive with our particular brand of religious intolerance, nick your land and give you syphilis.
    feel free to thank us whenever is convenient.

11. simply wondered says:

we’ll probably shoot those weird deformed sheep you seem to be breeding too – most ungodly!

12. PGH says:

Check out the youtube video: “burning down the house” for the sources of the current financial crisis…..It’s eye opening….

Yeah, but it seems to work for them. Sure does make the hen “broody.” She laid 10 eggs in her first little clutch. Poor thing — we have no chicken coop or barn, so she just roosted in the leaves at the edge of the woods. Then got rained on because of course she wouldn’t budge off her eggs.

We’ve been asking around our neighbors but nobody is claiming these chickens. It’s weird. They came from somebody’s farm.

And change the name of the country, too — isn’t that part of the deal?

15. samanthasmom says:

kenoshaMarge, you’ll be able to sell your lawnmower.

16. slythwolf says:

And don’t forget to insist that we aren’t allowed a country because we haven’t got a flag.

Slythwolf, I hear you on the animal fiber. You know, you might be able to grow a little bit of cotton up there if you put it in a greenhouse to extend the growing season. Or you could just salvage cotton clothes, even unraveling old clothes to re-weave. That’s how the West Africans created kente cloth: they unraveled old silk to re-weave.

18. simply wondered says:

Vi – ‘And change the name of the country, too — isn’t that part of the deal?’

heavens no! we believe in freedom donchaknow. you can call our new country any damn thing you like as long as our profit margin stays high – this is New Colonialism – much improved.

19. kenoshaMarge says:

samanthasmom, Oh no, and here I just bought one of those electric lawn mowers. (And love it too by the way, no fumes, little noise and does a great job. Plus if you have a problem pull starting your mower, that is no longer a problem. Getting me a little electric snow thrower next payday.)

Will save on fertilizer for the garden too. Or will if the alpaca doesn’t eat the garden.

20. goesh says:

When the depression hits, surival will be easy – I’ll just join up with a pack of male peers and go marauding at all the homes that have Obama signs in their yards and take what we need, none of them will be armed. Duh!

21. Hazel Stone says:

“I don’t much care for linen myself and find it far inferior to cotton. It’s too stiff.”

That’s like saying, “I don’t like food, it is too salty.” There are many, many different weaves, weights and finishes of linen.

Cotton is very pesticide intensive and a giant pain in the ass to grow.

It’s true there are many different weaves and weights of linen, some of them quite fine. But it’s also true that linen fiber is inherently stiffer than cotton fiber. I mean, if you can find a textile artist or scientist anywhere who is saying otherwise, I’d be fascinated to see it. I’ve been studying textiles for years and it’s just commonly known that cotton is softer and more pliable than linen.

23. grasshopper says:

Have you ever tried tencel? I pretty much wear nothing but 100% cotton (sensitive skin), but tencel is the one of the few other fabric I can wear comfortably.

It’s gorgeous stuff – drapes like rayon but without the weird shrinkage problems, is really soft, and incredibly durable.

24. simply wondered says:

alpaca wool pants are the new black – new range coming soon from lydia of the purple who has teamed up with socks alpaca farms ltd to bring you the softest most modest range of clothing this side of armageddon.
    ‘the world is in a terrible state of chassis’

25. Alikatze says:

Ok, we seem to have been looking at too much cuteoverload.com — the muzzlepousches on those critters!!! *FUZZ!*

26. simply wondered says:

weirdly and infuriatingly, not all of the llama / alpaca related books shown on the left sidebar appear to be available in the uk. we are light years away.

You’ve been checking out the alpaca books? Woo hoo! Alpaca fever ROOLZ!

Truly, it’s all I can do to force myself to pay attention to the news. I just want to look at pictures of ‘pacas.

28. Greenconsciousness says:

Blessings on everyone who shelters chickens.