Oh. My. God.

Friday, January 11th, 2008 · 17 Comments »

Even after posting something like this, I’m still not prepared for how vicious the sexism really is.

From the Washington Post:

No shame at all. None whatsoever. Not even the tinest smidgen.

Women have no idea how much men hate them, said Germaine Greer. You have to raise your head above the parapet to find out, or let some other woman raise her head. And then you see. Then you really see.

17 Responses to “Oh. My. God.”

1. Xopher says:

Wow. I’m stunned that such a thing could be published in the WaPo. I guess Oliphant has free reign after decades on the job; they just haven’t quite realized that he’s completely lost his mind.

Or maybe he was just a total asshole all along, and it took us a long time to notice.

Actually he’s just going along with our entire political journalism class, who are, by and large, exactly this kind of asshole: when they decide someone needs to be crushed, they will use any means, fair or foul, to accomplish that goal. Sexism may or may not be their ideology; right now it’s a tool they’re using in their attempt to destroy Hillary.

May they all rot.

2. Xopher says:

Also, from a recent post on Making Light: “There are a thousand things wrong with American public life, but I’m pretty sure our citizens are, on average, ten times as grown-up as our political reporters.”

3. The Ghost of Violet says:

I sure hope so, but still. That’s probably true on average, or of the majority, but I think the wingnut segment of the populace is at exactly the same level of immature spitefulness as the pundit class. Somebody’s watching Fox News and Tweety and listening to Rush. For that matter, somebody — not necessarily wingnuts — is reading MoDo and Bobo and thinking they actually make sense.

The level of male hatred of Hillary is breathtaking, and as far as I can see it crosses party lines.

4. Kate says:

You know, it’s one thing to have to listen to this crap back when I was a college student in the dining halls. But I am really beyond disappointed in how hateful and sexist people are showing themselves to be now that we have a real female contender for the presidency. I’m just in awe. This is how it feels to be targeted for destruction by the other sex, really targeted.

5. grasshopper says:

This leaves me completely dumbfounded. What’s most painful about it is being reminded yet again that they really don’t see us as human. At all. Not even a little bit.

I don’t know if hate even comes into it, any more than you’d ‘hate’ your doormat – you might be a little vicious in scrubbing the mud off sometimes, but in the end it’s just there for you to wipe your feet on. Hating us would require that they actually grasped our humanity.

This strikes me as the kind of virulent contempt that people use when they’ve been shamed beyond bearing for their ‘weaknesses’, and so they look for somebody to take it out on. Who better than women, who are the embodiment of all the contemptible qualities men are so brutally trained to reject in themselves?

Basically, the world is run by a bunch of playground bullies getting even.

6. Xopher says:

If Obama wins the nomination, I wonder if Oliphant will make a cartoon showing him with giant lips, in a leopard skin, with a bone through his nose, getting ready to cook a missionary for supper? That would be roughly the equivalent of what’s being done to Hillary here, yet no major urban newspaper (unless you count the New York Post, and why should you) would print it.

This cartoon makes me boil every time I see it.

7. Ann Bartow says:

Amananta doesn’t post much any more, so I tend to forget to go to her blog, but was happy to see this:
    Like you, she nails it.

8. kiuku says:

har har har don’t you get it guys all the bad guys are men how is a woman going to handle it? get emotional? har har har

9. No Elephant! says:

10. kate says:

“Pat Oliphant hardly represents the spectrum male point of view. And certainly not the rational male point of view. Not that your concerns about sexism aren’t valid – but PO is known for hysterics.

We have already seen enough examples of competent female leadership of western democracies to know that such concerns are overblown. If HC gets the Dem nomination, this male would certainly be happy to vote for her.”

Well you know, that’s all fine and dandy there Mr. Male I’d Vote For her.

I’d like to know when that large spectrum of the male electorate or entire male population that you speak of is ever going to stand up and say, “Stop, that doesn’t represent our point of view at all.”

Because frankly, your and your male friends’ silence seems to be telling more than what you are telling anyone here.

11. grendelkhan says:

No Elephant!: Pat Oliphant hardly represents the spectrum male point of view. And certainly not the rational male point of view. Not that your concerns about sexism aren’t valid – but PO is known for hysterics.

Pat Oliphant has a soapbox orders of magnitude larger than anyone reading this. You can’t just handwave it away.

Assuring people who say something about it that it’s not really important and besides, you’re totally not a sexist isn’t helpful. I don’t understand what’s motivating you to seek approval (“a cookie”, as it’s sometimes called) from people whose primary concern isn’t fluffing your ego, but if you could redirect that energy into telling Pat Oliphant that he’s an asshole, telling your male friends that you think Pat Oliphant’s an asshole, and telling your local Pat Oliphant-carrying paper that you think Pat Oliphant’s an asshole, it’d do a lot more good.

12. kiuku says:

Wow “No Elephant” is saying the concerns over sexism aren’t valid. That’s surprising. Sexism doesn’t exist. That’s so 1970′s. Then he goes on to say that there are already “enough” examples of competent female leadership (aka we don’t need Hillary). He doesn’t say he’ll vote for her. He says he’ll vote for her -if-. And not even that..he’d be “happy” to vote for her (meaning he wouldn’t really vote for her but it wouldn’t “bother” him to do so..if)

13. kiuku says:

Elephant sounds like a typical MRA who is just seconds away from discussing how the poor white guy stands no chance anymore. Sexism concerns are overblown? Oh and next time you’re talking with feminists, Elephant, next time you want to say sexist concerns are overblown and not valid (yes that is what you meant) I’d suggest not using the word “hysterics” to describe lack of rationale. We all know he isn’t rational, because he is SEXIST. We don’t need you to dismiss him as not the male point of view, like rape apologists dismiss rape as just something garbage men and miscreants do.

14. Suzanne says:

Give No Elephant a break! I don’t think he was at all saying that concerns over sexism are not valid, but that we (people who hope for a better world) should have some hope that not everyone is a cretin. True, the vast majority of people are, but not everyone. I’m always glad when people of any gender speak up and say they don’t tolerate misogyny.

15. simply wondered says:

i do so hope my friends – male and female – don’t actually need to be told the cartoonist behind this pathetic victorian piece of shit is a wanker.(don’t know anything else about him apart from this cartoon and really don’t want to).
    happy to mention it, though, just in case…’Stop, that doesn’t represent our point of view at all’

16. A. says:

Some men are speaking out against the misogynistic attacks on Clinton:

There is hope.

17. A. says:

P.S. I mean “hope that men collectively will get a clue,” not “hope that men will save the poor damsel in distress.” Sorry for the ambiguity!