Overwhelmed

Thursday, February 1st, 2007 · 32 Comments »

Molly Ivins is dead, Barack Obama is the first clean African-American, children as young as five are being sold into Cambodian sex slavery, a Florida rape victim was thrown in jail and denied emergency contraception, and Shrub continues his personal quest to be impeached. Oh, and Amanda’s running for President.

Just feeling a bit gobsmacked.

32 Responses to “Overwhelmed”

1. Julie says:

The rape happened in Tampa. I live in Tampa. Well, she was raped at Gasperilla (which is technically in Ybor but whatever).

I don’t think we should even celebrate Gasperilla anyway since it celebrates a pirate named Gasper who raped and murdered, etc and all you do is get drunk and flash your boobs. However, half of a million people went to Gasperilla. 25 were arrested, an estimated 100 were hospitilized. Something tells me those statistics are off since every year someone I know gets raped at Gasperilla. A lot of people usually get killed too. I believe this is the first time the statistics were so low. I think they def swayed the stats because a couple years ago they were trying to make Ybor a “family town” which is..not going to happen. Esp. since there have been people running around with needles sticking people and giving them AIDS. (that has happened a lot).

I think it’s disgusting the way she was treated. Her mother is angry too, it’s all over our local news, and said that she is ashamed that her daughter was taking EC.

2. will says:

Regarding the rape victim:

They really do not have a choice if there is a warrant for her arrest. You do not get a get out of jail card because you are a rape victim.

The sad thing is that there are all too many “paper-work” errors that cause people to spend too much time in jail. Absolutely ridiculous. But, people do not seem to care because the person is viewed as a criminal (and not an “alleged criminal.”)

The EC part is utterly ridiculous. I simply do not understand how or why we allow that sort of thing to happen. Where are all of these bibles missing the chapters on compassion, empathy, and holier than thou? Is there a special printing company issuing bibles with chapters on how to spit on others??!?!?!

3. gordo says:

Will–

“You do not get a get out of jail card because you are a rape victim.”

I don’t see why a person can’t be booked and released if they’r reporting a felony, but a warrant for a past misdemeanor pops up.

4. Paul Tergeist says:

You may have missed the video of the Kansas City Schutzstaffel police refusing to provide aid and assistance to a pregnant woman. Very disgusting. Those two cops should be up on murder charges.

They really do not have a choice if there is a warrant for her arrest.

Of course they had a choice. The police department is now admitting they made a mistake. It was a four-year-old warrant for failure to pay. The cops actually interrupted their investigation of the crime (the woman showing them where she was raped) so they could whisk her off to jail.

Read the reports; the police spokesperson says “usually” people with felony warrants are arrested, but says that discretion and compassion are supposed to be employed.

Hey, Paul’s back! It’s good to see you again.

No, I missed whatever you’re talking about in Kansas.

7. will says:

“However, if I am the police, I am darn well going to be checking and double-checking to make sure I have the right person. Plus, I am going to make sure that she gets the proper care prior to hauling her to jail.”

VS:

You skipped that part. You can have someone under arrest and still allow them to receive the proper treatment.

“Here’s the problem: if you put people in prison for minor crimes when they report serious crimes, you create a situation in which serious crimes won’t be reported.”

You do not put people in prison for minor crimes. You arrest them and give them an appropriate bond.

In this case, once they determine that there is a warrant for her arrest, they have to take action. But, they should have made sure she received proper care first. Especially considering that they could have easily found out that it wasnt that serious.

They didn’t have to put her in jail. Given the age of the warrant and what it was for (non-payment of a court fee), and the possibility that it was a paperwork mistake (as the victim believes), and given what she’d been through — they didn’t have to put her in jail. It’s my understanding from reading the reports that even the police department itself acknowledges having made a mistake.

I don’t think there’s nation-wide law mandating how people with warrants are treated.

9. will says:

First, you have to understand that everyone tells the police that it is a mistake and that it isnt them or it was already taken care of.

Second, I agree that it was not the kind of offense that you should jail someone for. But, how is that related to the rape aspect? It appears that she was in jail for two days. That is horrible.

What is related to the rape portion is that the police find out about a warrant for her arrest when she is in the hospital. At that point, they should make sure that her treatment is completed. But, then, they need to take her serve the arrest warrant on her. Typically, this is done by bringing her to the magistrate and then the magistrate gives her a bond. I would have guessed a personal recog bond. But I do not know her record.

The second issue related to the rape is the failure to give EC. Their action was absolutely unacceptable. Jails have a HORRIBLE track record about dispensing appropriate medicine. The mentally ill get screwed there as well.

10. will says:

The article says that she didnt have an adult criminal record, but that the arrest was for burglary and grand theft as a juvenile.

It is surprising that the magistrate didn’t let her go on a personal recog bond.

11. Paul Tergeist says:

“The police cannot simply ignore the arrest warrant because she has reported a rape. But, the arrest warrant certainly does not trump appropriate medical care.”
    -Will

When an agency issues a warrant it goes into the NCIC database. If the police contact the person, the issuing agency has the option to not abstract the warrant because at that point they become responsible for the fees incurred in extradition and transportation. This is normally not a problem with felony warrants, but the majority of misdemeanor warrants are not abstracted. It’s not worth it for a $500 bail. In addition, a juvenile misdemeanor warrant should have been automatically cleared when the person turned eighteen. A lot of people in my area have $115 FTA warrants. When they are stopped, the police officer tells them to go take care of it.

The police did take her to the hospital but the attending medical person, a female, refused to give her EC because of religious beliefs. That is the more serious crime IMO. The rest was simple incompetence and there seems to be a lot of that, extending even into the highest hallowed halls of government.

12. Paul Tergeist says:

No, I missed whatever you’re talking about in Kansas.
    -Violet

You really need to see the video in it’s entirety, although I can’t find a good link. I would never have believed police officers could do such a thing.

13. Kaitlyn says:

Will – “The mentally ill get screwed there as well.”

You are so right.

Anecdote about treatment of teenagers with emotional disorders and bad behavior – this is on my blog, one of my first few posts – I went inpatient at an “Adolescent Behavioral Health Ward” in April, because we were told going inpatient was the quickest way to see a shrink, and I was depressed and moody because I was sick, stuck in the house, and had been kicked out of school.

The place was awful – again, the blog entries are worth checking out.

They had a lot of problems with my daily meds – I have to take morning, noon, and evening meds. (4-6 hours apart, starting when I wake up)

They could not wrap their stupid head around the fact that the thyroid hormone [i]had[/i] to be taken at lunch. Not breakfast, not dinner. I checked in Thursday night, and they didn’t get it right until Sunday! My mom brought my BC from home, I was probably the only girl there on it. (One had a kid already, I was the oldest one there.)

The treatment of the mentally ill, of people even temporarily mentally ill is disgusting.

As for the Florida woman, I think the arrest could have waited until after the investigation, or they could have made her post bond so they could do something about the rapist.

And denying anyone medication because of your beliefs? Sick, sick, sick.

And I can’t believe Molly Ivins is dead. I only discovered her a couple years ago. Not fair.

I saw Joe Biden on the Daily Show Wednesday, he explained he meant fresh, not clean, but he still came off as a jackass.

Sorry for the blogwhoring, but that sentence struck a chord.

And read the entries, or I’ll have to recount it all here. (Go in for depression, be put in what looks like a jail cell, without the bars – though the windows had a nice wire mesh.)

14. Paul Tergeist says:

In a slap in the face to feminists everywhere, Texas has demonstrated it’s alliance with the patriarchy and against choice.

They have mandated that, before entering the sixth grade, girls must be inoculated against the human papillomavirus – typically transmitted through sex- that has been shown to cause cervical cancer.

This has nothing to do with the health of the girls of course. It is merely a plot to insure that all potential baby machines in Texas are maintained in good working order.

15. B. Dagger Lee says:

Joe Biden is a windbag, and like all windbags, he bloviates on autopilot without being present in what he’s saying, and ooops, he says stupid fucked up shit.

yrs, B.D.L.

16. ginmar says:

Leave it to Will to argue, yet again, on the side of the status quo he so loves.

17. will says:

Leave it to Ginmar not to be able to understand what I wrote.

18. ginmar says:

19. cicely says:

Is this actually being treated as a crime in what has surely become the most religious nation in the western world?

20. cicely says:

…the most religious nation in the western world?

Actually – I shouldn’t pussyfoot around. An item I was reading – advertising an upcoming documentary on tv here (OZ) about Madalyn O’Hair (who I’d never heard of), described the U.S. as arguably the most religious nation *on earth*!

Christian religion is making disturbing inroads into Australian politics in unprecedented ways right now eg the conservative government has controversially provided funding for abortion ‘advice and counselling’ services to be set up by church organisations – having offered contracts to nobody else at all – but I couldn’t yet see anyone getting away with not providing EC to a rape victim in a hospital because of their religious beliefs. Presumably that same person in this case is opposed to abortion should the victim have been impregnated as well. So, back to question – will this person get away with it?

21. Paul Tergeist says:

So, back to question – will this person get away with it?
    -Cicely

Yes. It is not a crime to withhold EC if you happen to have a nonsensical contrary belief, such as that the life of a potential child is more important than the life of a young rape victim. In the nonsense and thuggery of religious intolerance, all potential children must be born. After that, no one cares whether they are fed, cared for or educated and, as soon as they are raped, their lives become worthless in turn.

This religious concept is called “pro life” and it is promoted, mostly, by women.

22. ginmar says:

Bullshit it is, Paul, and if you think that, you’re an idiot. The leaders of the pro-forced birth movement are men. Christ. The people bombing the clinics are men. The people shooting the doctors–with one exception that I can think of–are men. The Terrys and the Scheidlers hide their rage at uppity women behind the guise of caring for the baybeez and you evidently fell for it.

23. cicely says:

Paul – I’m sure you’re right at least in that no-one could show me an anti-contraception, pro-forced abortion (good one ginmar) woman who is not in the thrall of a One Male God religion. As to whether more religious men or women promote these anti-women’s autonomy ideas, I don’t really care. It would be strategically advantageous to have women as visible as possible, but would fool no-one as to the origin of their beliefs.

I think Paul must have lived most of his life on another planet or perhaps deep inside the Earth’s core, and he’s still having trouble grasping that patriarchy is a system that brainwashes women as well as men. He probably thinks all earth women are connected by our vaginas in some kind of hive mind, and because there are some women working actively as tools of the patriarchy, that means a) women actually invented and are wholly responsible for the existence of patriarchy, and b) if some of us really wanted to end the system we would just communicate with those other women by means of our special vaginal thought rays.

25. Paul Tergeist says:

22: “Yada yada behind the guise of caring for the baybeez and you evidently fell for it.”
    -Ginmar

Leave it to Ginmar not to be able to understand what I wrote.

23: “Then Americans are living in a theocracy in practice, if not by technical definition.”
    -Cicely

It certainly seems that way to me.

24: “I think Paul must have lived most of his life on another planet…”
    -Violet

bIjatlh ‘e’ yImev Hab SoSlI’ Quch!

26. Paul Tergeist says:

“..and he’s still having trouble grasping that patriarchy is a system that brainwashes women as well as men.”
    -Violet

I am certainly having trouble with the concept that anyone who doesn’t agree that a worldwide plot is in place is brainwashed, or that men are naturally brutal while any woman who does something wrong, crazy or violent is either brainwashed or fighting against the conspiracy.

But it’s a good argument since it cannot be disputed. It seems very like religion.

I am willing to test any testable hypotheses you have, however, using my roomie as the female of the species and myself as the Alpha male. As a control, I just turned to her and said “You DO realize don’t you, that as the male in this household, I am in charge?” She started laughing. “How would you a trip to the moon”?, says I. By now she is falling off the chair wailing in gales of laughter, so I decided to have mercy.

27. B. Dagger Lee says:

My vagina is aces at Morse code (and Abstract Expressionism).

yrs, BDL

28. will says:

“Leave it to will to once again ignore the woman in the case for some stupid little details he can use to avoid confronting what’s really important—-because it involves a woman. It’s so cute—or at least he thinks it is. Standard fake intellectual act.”

Yes, Ginmar, I suggesting ignoring the woman when I said to make sure that she received all appropriate treatment prior to dealing with her arrest warrant. I suggested ignoring the woman when I said that the police better check and double check to make sure that they have the correct person. And yes, I suggested ignoring the woman when I said it was an outrage that she wasnt given EC. I also suggested ignoring the woman when I said that she probably should have received a personal recog bond instead of being locked up in jail.

Ginmar sees my name and it renders her incapable of reading or comprehending. Such a shame because we probably agree on 90 percent of these issues.

I want to change the facts slightly:

What would you want to happen when a woman shows up at hospital, obviously traumatized and describes being raped and the police realize that there is a warrant for her arrest for:
    1. grand larceny (felony)or
    2. a misdemeanor possession of pot or
    3. domestic assault second offense?

29. The Apostate says:

I think it’s not really productive to always argue that ‘the patriarchy’ is responsible for everything, including women who defeat their own cause.

There are enough women, both in the United States and in Muslim countries, who seem to promote ‘non-feminism.’ Some of them are doing it because of religion – itself a prop of patriarchy – and some are doing it because they have conflicting interests (like a rapist’s mother vilifying the rape victim), and some simply because what they happen to believe about life and the world does not result in feminism appearing useful or true.

But even a lot of religious women explicitly recognize that the religion they believe in is patriarchal, but they still have certain anti-woman beliefs — they just happen to think anti-woman is something other than how we “classical feminists” define it. (for instance, they might think sex work is inherently anti-woman.)

I think it’s really important to hold women solely responsible — without any mitigating ‘patriarchy’allegedly brainwashing them — for their problems, where women themselves are either not helping the issue or perpetuating the problem. Women ARE the problem in many cases, especially when it comes to Islam and Muslim women’s issues (it took me a while to stop seeing all Muslim women as victims and begin to see some of them as enablers). I seem to be running out of allowed comment space – I should just blog about this.

30. The Apostate says:

Violet, I just read your post “Buying into Patriarchy.” You make good points.

I just wanted to acknowledge that, because it somewhat counters what I said above. I have a response, but want to think about it further.

By the way, I should mention that I love your blog, which I recently discovered. I’m new to blogging myself but not so new to feminism, having been raised a Muslim in Saudi Arabia. My perspective is a little different though, even though I define myself as a ‘classical’ feminist, very second wave in some senses despite my age, probably because I struggled against second-wave-like oppression, unlike most of my generation in the west.

Anyway. Mustn’t ramble.

31. ehj2 says:

Dear Apostate [comments 29 & 30],

Agreed. Well said. I love your site and look forward to reading there in depth.

[1] It’s a failed IQ test for a woman to walk into a church.

[2] It’s a failed Humanity test for a man to walk into a church.

We need new myths and personal and national narratives.

I suspect we can also add:

[3] Unbridled Capitalism is a cancerous madness, not a reason-based secular religion worthy of national devotion, and

[4] It’s a failed Civilization test to believe in nations and endless war.

We need a compelling One World narrative that honors all people and relationship, species diversity, sustainability, and the environment.

Is survivability compelling enough?

ehj2

32. ehj2 says:

I’ve been reading deeply for the last few days at — usrobots.blogspot.com

Amy Charles writes episodically but very articulately about the ground between science and art, and seems to have devoted her professional life to finding and edifying that ground.

I commented this morning on her most recent post, “Fecundity out of repression.” Amy is very academic and my comment is probably a bit off topic as well as childishly obvious. I invite you to do better. I think she’s in a very important conversation and some of you may enjoy being part of it.

ehj2