When Godbags Attack

Thursday, October 26th, 2006 · 19 Comments »

Catholic leaders in Nicaruaga are pushing through a law to block abortion in all cases, including those where the life of the mother is at stake:

“The current law allows a small door in which abortions can be performed, and we are trying to close that door,” said Dr. Rafael Cabrera, an obstetrician and leader of the Yes to Life Movement. “We don’t believe a child should be destroyed under the pretext that a woman might die.”

That’s because the Catholic Church is pro-life, you see. Every life is sacred…unless it’s a woman’s.

Meanwhile, the senior Muslim religious leader in Australia blames women for being raped:

“If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover, and the cats come and eat it . . . whose fault is it, the cats’ or the uncovered meat?

“The uncovered meat is the problem.”

The sheik then said: “If she was in her room, in her home, in her hijab, no problem would have occurred.”

Stories like this fill my heart with hope that someday the great world religions will be able to put aside their differences and join hands in peace and brotherhood, united by their common hatred of women. Wouldn’t that be wonderful? Think of it: no more fundamentalist terrorists, no more quarrels over holy places, no more sectarian disputes. Just a world of devout men working together happily and quietly in the name of God to abuse, rape, and/or murder every woman they can get their hands on.

Filed under: Godbags, Why We Still Need Feminism · Tags:

19 Responses to “When Godbags Attack”

1. gordo says:

It’s funny, but to listen to the fundamentalists of all religions, you’d think that they could unite around common goals like the subjugation of women and the extermination of gays.

As we’ve seen countless times, though, when the fundamentalists start to get their way, it only seems to sharpen their differences.

2. Timothy Shortell says:

I want to live in a place free of godbags. They can have all the continents but one, and I don’t care which one. I just want to live in peace in a cosmopolitan, democratic, cooperative society. They can have their medieval law and their irrational rituals. We’ll have all the good art, music, food and drink. We’ll also have modern medicine and a really fast internet.

As Gordo suggested, they’d probably end up killing each other over theological disputes and eventually we’d be rid of the whole lot of them.

3. Alecto says:

Wasn’t there a recent declared truce between fundie Jews and fundie Muslims in Jerusalem so they could get together and throw stones at the gay pride march?

Maybe that’s the secret to peace in the Middle-East: rainbow marches daily.

4. cicely says:

That mufti Hilali epidode has been the front page news story in OZ for the past couple of days. The Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Pru Goward, actually demanded that Sheik Hilali be charged with incitement to rape. There are currently some young Lebanese Muslim men serving prison sentences for a number of gang rapes they committed in Sydney over a period of months about four years ago, I think. (They even filmed some of them.) The court case took that long. Two of the girls were teenagers at the time, 13 and 14, and they’ve come out publically to say they have no shame about having been attacked, and that no girl or woman having been raped has done anything wrong to be ashamed of. The rapists showed no remorse in court.One of them said he’d been raised in a Pakistani village to believe it was ok to rape women who went outside without a veil or entered a man’s home without a chaperone. No need to be raised in Pakistan to get that kind of message now, thanks to Hilali. Of course there are calls from moderate muslims to have him removed as the leader – yes – leader – of the Muslims in Oz, but, as of yesterday he reckoned only god can do that!

The infamous Cronulla beach incident last summer happened when young white Australians organised via mobile phone SMS text messages to meet at the beach and run off the middle eastern boys who’d been harrassing scantily clad girls and women at the beach for ages. The text message was a call to ‘take back our beach’. The boys attacked anyone they saw of middle eastern appearance on and around the beach and even on stations and on trains to and from. Afterwards middle eastern boys went on an evening revenge rampage in local streets, smashing the windows of I think hundreds, (a lot anyway) of parked cars with baseball bats and the like and attacking anyone who happened to be in their path. Australia had never seen anything like it.

Recently we had the head honcho of the Anglican Church in Australia, Peter Jensen, praising those of our christian MP’s from both major parties who are openly talking about their religious and ‘family’ values and courting the votes of christians – some even attending huge evangelistic church meetings – and saying this is good to see because – and these are his own words – secularism has failed.

I just don’t know what to say about the work of the Catholic leadership in Nicaragua. Enslavers, abusers and murderers and just all round pricks.

Fuckin’ sad, bad times. I feel women plunging into the abyss and we feminists and secularists have one right royal battle on our hands – everywhere the world over it seems.

I see now the Islamic Friendship Council is defending the sheik’s comment as “ambiguous.” The ambiguity, it escapes me.

6. cicely says:

The ambiguity, it escapes me.

Funny, that.

7. Infidel says:

If you take out uncovered meat and place it outside on the street, or in the garden or in the park, or in the backyard without a cover- it will spontaneously generate flies.
    -Leeuwenhoek-

8. gordo says:

Violent and Cicely–

Well, Hilali has now been suspended for 3 months, so I guess he was wrong about God being the only one who could silence him.

Still, a 3 month suspension for telling men to rape women…that just sends the message that clerics should be more subtle in their hatred.

I have to think, though, that if white Australians had been more tolerant of non-white immigrants over the past couple of decades, the current generation would be better assimilated, and clerics like Halil would be less influential.

9. gordo says:

Infidel–

I thought Leeuwenhoek argued against the theory of spontaneous generation. What is the context for that quote?

10. Infidel says:

Lamark, Lamark, duh, sorry- they both start with L and I didn’t check my sources.

They can have all the continents but one, and I don’t care which one.

Okay, but if it’s Antarctica I’ve got dibs on Hut 12 at McMurdo Station.

12. love2all says:

The same thing happened with Matthew Shepherd. A lot of the townspeople of Laramie claimed to have the attitude of “Live and let live” and said that no one goes around beating up gay people.

Yet I remember reading about someone in Laramie saying something to the extent of, “If gay people mind their business, I won’t pay any attention to them. But if they flaunt their homosexuality, well that’s just a different matter and they’re asking for trouble.”

And this sheik is comparing women to meat? Yes, women are exactly like meat. They are just as voiceless, helpless, lifeless and irresistable as a slab of meat. *rolls eyes*

13. love2all says:

My apologies.. his name is supposed to be spelled: “Matthew Shepard”

I was standing in line at the grocery store once when my eye was caught by some tabloid paper with a big garish image of a woman — probably a celebrity, but I can’t remember — dressed in something very revealing and hideously tasteless. I can’t remember who it was or what she was wearing, but it was somehow freaky enough that I involuntarily raised my eyebrows in surprise and blurted out something like, “My goodness.”

The little old lady next to me in line immediately said: “That’s why so many of them get raped. ‘Cause they dress like that.”

Over at Feministe a Nicaraguan reader has left a comment offering more insight into that situation.

Two particular quotes:

“The ease with which even formerly revolutionary parties have sold out women’s lives and health to gain favor with the country’s reactionary religious forces is nauseating.”

and

“We deperately need a new option on the left that will truly respect women’s rights.”

Where have I heard that before?

16. love2all says:

I believe, sadly, that those exact words have also come out of my mother’s mouth before.

But it’s ludicrous and archaic that rapes and assaults are still blamed on women’s dress and how they act instead of blaming on the sick fucks who actually assaulted them. It’s not an uncommon occurance – I hear it all the time, even nowadays. I recall overhearing a conversation a few years ago when one of my male co-workers said: “But she was a stripper so, I can see why she got raped.”

Placing blame on women for being raped is akin to a child walking into a NAMBLA meeting and blaming the child for any molestation he may endure.

17. love2all says:

Did not meant to italicize the whole thing. My fault for not previewing.

No problem. It’s fixed now.

19. love2all says:

You know, I think your comments started to mess up right when I commented because I KNOW I didn’t italicize the whole thing. And the second comment was italicized too.

Anyway.. glad to see your comments are back online!