Art in the Afternoon

Friday, July 7th, 2006 · 6 Comments »

This is fun: upload an image of yourself and have it transformed — different age, different race, different sex, or into the style of Modigliani, Botticelli, etc. The image at left is a photo of me rendered in the style of Alphonse Mucha.

(No, I’m not worried about blowing my cover here; none of these transformed images are recognizably me anymore.)

Here’s the same picture in the style of Modigliani (left, of course) and Botticelli:

If you’re not up for all that, you can just go here and play at being Jackson Pollock. Like this:

Violet Pollock

(Thanks to Dr. Shortell for the face transformation thingy, and to Twisty for the Pollock thingy.)

6 Responses to “Art in the Afternoon”

1. manxome says:

That’s so freakin’ cool.

Isn’t that thing a blast?

My Modigliani looks like Lily Tomlin. It’s the most transformed of the transformations — nothing like me at all.

3. richard cherry says:

I’m shocked and disgusted that you can be playing with pictures when terrorists are everywhere. I read this thing about them blowing up Holland. It was only the vigilance of the FBI arresting the population of the country and everyone who has ever been in an internet chatroom that prevented the whole country disappearing below sea level.
    Note for our American readers: Holland is a bit of Europe quite near Belgium (see the Battle of The Somme post below).
    Actually if we all started arresting chatrooms surely things in general would be better.
    But seriously, Violet; you’re a doctor! what are you planning to do about all these bad things? And this Modigliani friend of yours…sounds a bit araby. is he foreign??? if so is he one of the nice arabs who sell us petrol or the bad heoin producing arabs? Front up now; and what hospital do you work in anyway? And if you really are a lady how come you’re a doctor not a nurse? There are quite a few things we want to know about you, so called socks person.
    PP J Birch

4. Timothy Shortell says:

I think it is excellent. (That algorith is really good at finding the right stylistic markers.) The whole world would be more beautiful if Modigliani had painted it.

I also thought the El Greco transformation was good. I’m going to post “his” rendering of me on my site when I get around to it. did you try it? How did it turn out?

It is like peering into your very soul. (Ha!)

5. richard cherry says:

ah well at least it’s not ballet

Huh — there wasn’t an El Greco option available when I was there. I’ll have to go back.

The Modigliani is the one that looks least like my original photo, while the Mucha is the closest to the real shape of my face, etc. Of course I’m not that pretty, nor do I spend hours a day draped in flowing silks and clutching a champagne bottle. Though I wish I did.

Richard, I’m getting the sense you don’t like ballet. But I don’t want to jump to any conclusions.