Horrible man killed; horrible war will continue

Thursday, June 8th, 2006 · 32 Comments »

Al-Zarqawi is dead. The Bush Administration is going to trumpet this as a great victory, similar to that other great victory when they dragged Saddam Hussein out of the hole in the ground from whence he was personally masterminding the resistance through telepathy, having long since lost his followers, any equipment, and most of his clothes. But I digress.

Juan Cole has said all along that Zarqawi is not particularly important. Here’s a snip from Juan’s post today:

There is no evidence of operational links between his [Zarqawi's] Salafi Jihadis in Iraq and the real al-Qaeda; it was just a sort of branding that suited everyone, including the US. Official US spokesmen have all along over-estimated his importance. Leaders are significant and not always easily replaced. But Zarqawi has in my view has been less important than local Iraqi leaders and groups. I don’t expect the guerrilla war to subside any time soon.

Always with the reality! No wonder the wingnuts hate Dr. Cole.

Filed under: War · Tags:

32 Responses to “Horrible man killed; horrible war will continue”

1. will says:

I figured that they would wait until October to kill him so that they could issue press releases about how now we have won the war against terror. I guess they could wait until closer to the election with Bush’s free fall of public opinion.

I wonder what wars or killings Bush will come up with in the fall to help elect Republicans.

2. love2all says:

Gee, nothing like a killing to get Republicans so excited. The sad thing is, I’m not kidding. People are excited.

Yes, he was a bad guy but I was telling my husband just yesterday (before they announced the death of al-Zarqawi, ironically) that really, what does capturing/killing these leaders (Saddam Hussein, for example) going to really accomplish in the long run? Capture one “bad guy” and there’s just going to be a successor behind him.

Correct me if I’m wrong, really. Is the whole evil army of whomever you kill just going to disband? Perhaps it’s happened on occasion with smaller groups. But, generally, it’s not the case. If one of our higher ranking military officials or a U.S. political figure was assassinated, will that stop us from fighting in Iraq? No. Our government would just be more pissed and more enraged, ready to kill more people is all.

3. Victoria Marinelli says:

Thank you for pointing out the bit about how the “al Qaeda in Iraq” isn’t really al Qaeda per se (and more importantly, how the fact that al-Zarqawi’s group and the actual al Qaeda’s being conflated has been part and parcel of the very deliberate Bushco spin). (Or at least, that’s how I’m reading you.)

My thing to holler about today (I’ve been on a real hollering kick this week, sheesh!) is about the fact that Shrub, while having a perfectly republican-exploitation-worthy event to boast about on the White House lawn without any embellishments, still decided to do a little bit of embellishing. (Further bitching on this may be found here.) What’s the point in that? Urg.

(BTW, still trying to get a read on all the fascinating personalities here. Should I be scared of this Will character? Is he really in Richmond? Mmmmm… the intrigue continues.)

Yes, he’s really in Richmond. And yes, you should be terrified. He carries a concealed weapon.

5. will says:

Violet:

I realize that you view sex as violent, but it really isnt a weapon, and it is rarely concealed around you.

6. Alon Levy says:

So, does it mean you wrap it in clear nylon when it gets too cold, or what?

Will and I can turn any post into something about sex, have you noticed?

8. Victoria Marinelli says:

Allllrighty then. I’m officially scared. Just you get this one thing clear, Mr. Will: (*insert pause here while I try to come up with something bad-assed to say*) (*then realize I’ve got bupkis*) (*then giggle inappropriately over the fact that a blog entry concerning a terrorist’s demise has become this backdrop for such salacious banter between strangers…*)

See, now I’m really curious to know just who in the hell you are, you non-blog-link-having, first-name-only-using individual, “Will.” But I’d rather you didn’t think I was too curious. After all, I have a reputation to protect. I’m married, after all. (And I even gave up women for this specific, uber-monogamous marriage.)

When all else fails, I can point to how bad-assed and scary looking my husband is, as is evidenced from our ridiculous picture (taken at Ozzfest, 2004) on my profile at myspace. (Yes, I am in my mid-thirties and I have a myspace profile. Wanna make something of it?)

Jeebus, I shouldn’t have had so much coffee this morning…

9. will says:

Myspace says you live in Williamsburg, not Richmond. Scary people come from Williamsburg. Live there for any period of time, and you are likely to become a sexual deviant.

10. Victoria Marinelli says:

Was merely born in the ‘burg. Haven’t actually lived there since I was 13. (Aside from one off-and-on summer in 1990.)

So there.

Geez! And I thought it was having gone to college in Olympia, Washington that turned me into a sexual deviant! I feel so enlightened now.

11. will says:

As far being fearful, you should remember that the really scary people always end up being loners who live back in the woods gardening and muttering to themselves about frilly pink bunnies.

Invariablly, they have nitting needles all over the house, ready to stab unsuspecting visiters.

I don’t knit (or nit).

13. will says:

stitch, sew, cut, lure unsuspecting people into garden mazes for your purient interests, whatever…

14. Paul Tergeist says:

Budding homosexuality is what drew this thread off-topic. Let us get back to the faulty observations of that old cod Juan Cole.
    Agreed, the death of one more Arabaziod means nothing.

The FACT is that we have more to worry about with FEMA watching our backs and the NSA listening to our calls and the knuckle-draggers wanting to burn down South America because cocaine and marijuana come from there and the fundies worrying about who is getting (hopefully excellent) hummers from my daughter than we do about terrorism. And God forbid she decides to have SEX instead and then wants the morning after pill. That would be even worse!

15. Victoria Marinelli says:

I am soooo glad I had to take leave of this conversation earlier (for a visit to my shrink). (Seriously, that’s what I left here to do.)

And here’s this Paul Tergeist rightly calling for a return to carefully reasoned discussion. Or at least, “reasoned” relative to much of the prurient jabber found above.

But, I am ashamed. The prurient jabber was a lot more fun. I am left with the image of Dr. Violet Socks, in all her Sepia-toned glory, luring unsuspecting sweet things into garden mazes and such.

(See why I’m in therapy?)

16. Alon Levy says:

I think Violet Socks is a psychiatrist trying to create more demand for therapy. If she’s not, then how come she has not one but two commenters in the same general area she lives in?

17. Paul Tergeist says:

from 15: “(See why I’m in therapy?)”

You are in therapy because you have too much money.

If you used it to move to a tropical paradise where you could walk with your dog for miles on deserted beaches you might actually accomplish something.

Ideally, you would buy a 100+’ motorsailer and have me sail you around the northern Hawaiian islands, learn navigation by the stars and stop polluting the earth driving back and forth to the shrink.

Three — Manxome is also in Virginia, just up the road from Will.

19. Victoria Marinelli says:

Actually, in a show of how government can be unintentionally funny, I just received my official “Notice of Exhaustion” from the Virginia Employment Commission, indicating that my unemployment benefits have run out. Husband is still employed (and as a Cable Guy, our broadband access is part of his benefits package, or I would not be sitting here typing this), at least, and so far I can still make the occasional copayments for the aforementioned shrink’s services.

Would that our HMO covered vacations on such mental health-promoting beaches as you describe.

And also, I’m strictly a cat person; there is no dog. I am so misunderstood.

20. Paul Tergeist says:

From 19: “And also, I’m strictly a cat person; there is no dog.”

I believe we are getting to the crux of the problem. Are there any other animals you hate beside dogs? Have you ever watched a HOMING PIGEON? When you look at the below enclosed white inkblot, what do you see?

21. Mandos says:

Tergeist has a daughter? You mean…he’s SPAWNED?

22. Paul Tergeist says:

YES! While the Department of Homeland Spying was reading YOUR mail (and rightly so), I sneaked a daughter through 30 years of life-below-the-radar. BAHAHAHAHAHA! She has now got 1.8 rugrats of her own. Sadly, neither she nor her husband are smart enough to pour piss out of a boot with the instructions written on the heel, but they live in Fresno, so they chillin will be wiggin’ in da hood and sending grandpa coal-tar heroin for Christmas.

The only redeeming quality of this entire situation is that I will be taking a dirt nap before I have to meet the little felons at their first parole hearing in about 2025.

23. Paul Tergeist says:

From 19: “WOW. I don’t believe that having too much money is anything I’ve ever been accused of.”

OK, what are you USUALLY accused of?

24. Victoria Marinelli says:

Thread-drift engendering obstreperousness. Post-traumatic twitchiness. Iconoclastic, bipolar (but nonviolent) temperament. Inability to abide by group-think, no matter what group(s) I fall into. Inconsistency. Poor attention span.

What were we talking about, again?

Ah yes, al-Zarqawi. Hey, what do y’all think about this latest theory of al Qaeda-facilitated martyrdom? (As discussed on last night’s Keith Olbermann, and elsewhere.)

25. Paul Tergeist says:

Those things tend to fall under the umbrella of diagnosis rather than accusation, but I accept that you are a whacko and we can move on.

26. Infidel says:

…for gray-domed Dulles,
    brooding over at State,
    that never worked for Ike who knelt to take
    the magic wafer in his mouth
    from Dulles’ hand
    inside the church in Washington:
    Communion of bum magicians
    congress of failures from Kansas & Missouri
    working with the wrong equations
    Sorcerer’s Apprentices who lost control
    of the simplest broomstick in the world:
    Language

Witchita Vortex Sutra
    -Ginsberg-

27. Paul Tergeist says:

Geeez, what crappy prose. This is better:

There was a young girl from Montana
    who trussed up her breasts in bandanas

28. Infidel says:

with her chest all in order
    she went south of the border
    drying her nipples in Santa Annas

Knock it off.

30. Paul Tergeist says:

Do all you scrofulous yellow-dog lieberals see what can happen when Frick and Frack two hugely talented and well-endowed non-homers get into the creative groove?

Weep, all ye sad fools! Gnash your teeth! You had the chance to buy out our contract before we were famous! The movie starlets are flocking as we speak to get their faced in our laps, me and Fidel!

(Lookit, Fidel…because I like you, Ima give you Rue Paul.)

31. Infidel says:

There was a man from NewYork
    Who ate nothing but barbecued pork

32. Paul Tergeist says:

When his wife wandered in
    she said “Haim, it’s a sin”
    have Matzo you mishugana dork!